ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT, IS MY DEGREE ENOUGH?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

angelica salazar
Newly Registered

ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT, IS MY DEGREE ENOUGH?

Post by angelica salazar » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:31 pm

I will submit an application as fiance very soon,, but with all the english test requirement changes i´m a bit confused. I´m wondering if my MA degree in MArketing Communications granted by London Metropolitan University in 2008 is enough for me to probe that my english is good enoguh to apply as a fiance of a British citizen.?

Also at the time I presented my IELTS test to gain entry to gain entry in the Uni and my score was 6.0 and I still have got the results, could I show this result even if it´s back from 2007?

Your help will be much appreciated!

Regards, A

terriblescream
Pakistan

Re: ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT, IS MY DEGREE ENOUGH?

Post by terriblescream » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:41 pm

angelica salazar wrote:I will submit an application as fiance very soon,, but with all the english test requirement changes i´m a bit confused. I´m wondering if my MA degree in MArketing Communications granted by London Metropolitan University in 2008 is enough for me to probe that my english is good enoguh to apply as a fiance of a British citizen.?

Also at the time I presented my IELTS test to gain entry to gain entry in the Uni and my score was 6.0 and I still have got the results, could I show this result even if it´s back from 2007?

Your help will be much appreciated!

Regards, A
Masters degree is not accepeted, only Bachelors because UK NARIC can only verify bachelors degree!

and I believe IELTS was valid for two years, so its 2011 which makes it 4 years.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:48 pm

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

angelica salazar
Newly Registered

Post by angelica salazar » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:01 pm

My application will me made form ouside the UK

there is a VAF 4A Annex (ELT) Nov 2010 . SETTLEMENT - ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT in which reads:

1 Are you exempt from the English language requirement?
Exemptions are:
1. Being a national of a majority English speaking country. Nationals of Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; the Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Canada; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; United States of America are exempt from the English language requirement. The evidence required to show that you are a national of a majority English speaking country is proof of your nationality such your passport. NB this exemption relates to nationality / citizenship, not residency â

angelica salazar
Newly Registered

Post by angelica salazar » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:03 pm

[quote="angelica salazar"]My application will me made form ouside the UK

there is a VAF 4A Annex (ELT) Nov 2010 . SETTLEMENT - ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT in which reads:

1 Are you exempt from the English language requirement?
Exemptions are:
1. Being a national of a majority English speaking country. Nationals of Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; the Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Canada; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; United States of America are exempt from the English language requirement. The evidence required to show that you are a national of a majority English speaking country is proof of your nationality such your passport. NB this exemption relates to nationality / citizenship, not residency â

terriblescream
Pakistan

Post by terriblescream » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:06 pm

Degrees taught in English
If you have an academic qualification which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's degree, we will accept this as evidence that you can speak and understand English to level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. Therefore you do not need to take a test.

We will not accept Master's degrees and PhDs as evidence, because UK NARIC can only assess whether Bachelor's degrees (and not Master's degrees or PhDs) were taught in English.

The above info can be confirmed at
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... e-partners

MASTERS AND PHD can be accepted on a PBS application which is not your application!!

John

Post by John » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Does this mean my MA degree is not included in the list of those valid degrees?
Why would you think that? Surely the important words are "at least a bachelor´s degree", and your degree is higher than a BA, and therefore it is by definition "at least a bachelor´s degree".
John

terriblescream
Pakistan

Post by terriblescream » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:08 pm

John wrote:
Does this mean my MA degree is not included in the list of those valid degrees?
Why would you think that? Surely the important words are "at least a bachelor´s degree", and your degree is higher than a BA, and therefore it is by definition "at least a bachelor´s degree".
UKBA states we will not accept Masters on their website for PARTNERS! and link is in the above reply!

angelica salazar
Newly Registered

@sushdmehta thanks for your guidance

Post by angelica salazar » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:11 pm

But at the end I´m not still clear whether if my MA degree from london Met universutiy (which appears in UK NARIC list of approved institutes) would be accepted or not, the link you have suggested me to follow leads to a discussion dated from 2005 and it was for spouse visa. My visa application is for fianceé visa from outside the UK , and with the current flight booking and appointment timeline I wont have the chance to present the ielts exam again as I did 4 years ago to gain entry to the University.

Sorry but this is so confusing! thanks!

terriblescream
Pakistan

Re: @sushdmehta thanks for your guidance

Post by terriblescream » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:15 pm

angelica salazar wrote:But at the end I´m not still clear whether if my MA degree from london Met universutiy (which appears in UK NARIC list of approved institutes) would be accepted or not, the link you have suggested me to follow leads to a discussion dated from 2005 and it was for spouse visa. My visa application is for fianceé visa from outside the UK , and with the current flight booking and appointment timeline I wont have the chance to present the ielts exam again as I did 4 years ago to gain entry to the University.

Sorry but this is so confusing! thanks!
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partn ... lpartners/

You would not require an ENGLISH test for a fiance visa but once you get married and apply for SPOUSE visa you will be required, you could do this from the UK!

If you are outside the UK
If you are subject to immigration control and you want to come to the UK in this category, you can apply to do so if your fiance(e) or proposed civil partner is:

â– currently living in the UK and settled here; or
â– returning to the UK with you to live here permanently.
Both you and your fiance(e) or proposed civil partner must be at least 21 years old (or 18 years old if either of you is a serving member of HM Forces). Additionally, you must both show that:

â– you plan to marry or register a civil partnership within a reasonable time (usually 6 months);
â– you plan to live together permanently after you are married or have registered a civil partnership;
â– you have met each other;
â– until you are married or have registered a civil partnership, there is somewhere for you and any dependants to live without help from public funds (see Rights and responsibilities for more information on what this means);
â– there will, when you are married or in a civil partnership, be adequate accommodation where you and any dependants can live exclusively and without help from public funds; and
â– you and any dependants can be supported without working or needing help from public funds.
You must obtain permission to enter the UK before travelling here, even if you are a national of a country whose citizens do not normally require a visa to enter the UK. This permission is called 'entry clearance', and takes the form of a visa or an entry clearance certificate. To obtain it, you should apply to us in the country where you live. For more information, see our visa services website.

If we allow you to come to the UK in the category of fiance(e) or proposed civil partner (not as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership), you will normally be given permission to stay here for 6 months. You must not work during this time. After you have married or registered your civil partnership, you can apply to stay here as the husband, wife or civil partner of a settled person. If we approve your application, we will give you permission to live and work here for 2 years. Near the end of the 2 years, you can apply to settle here permanently if you are still married or civil partners and intend to live together.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:41 pm

angelica salazar wrote:the link you have suggested me to follow leads to a discussion dated from 2005
01-Apr-11, to be precise.

terriblescream wrote:You would not require an ENGLISH test for a fiance visa but once you get married and apply for SPOUSE visa you will be required, you could do this from the UK!
Reading the following may help:
SET17.2 The requirement applies to those applying for entry clearance under which categories? wrote:Settlement: Part 8 of the Immigration Rules;
paragraphs:
  • 281 spouses and civil partners - LTE
    290 fiancé(e) and proposed civil partners - LTE
    295A unmarried and same sex partners - LTE

Coming back to the point in question:
SET17.3 How does the applicant satisfy the requirement? wrote:- By passing a test with an approved provider; or

- by having a degree taught in English including masters degree and PhDs
- Any masters degree or PhD obtained in the UK
- Any masters degree or PhD obtained in one of our list of majority English speaking countries
- It is assumed that the above qualifications have been taught in English in line the points-based system

Any masters degree or PhD not obtained in the UK or a majority English speaking country which UK NARIC can verify was taught in English or can be verified by other evidence by being a citizen or national of a majority English language speaking country (which is specified in the relevant Immigration Rule)
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

terriblescream
Pakistan

Post by terriblescream » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:02 pm

yes sushdmehta read and confirmed it!

Although the page I visited did not say that but as your link is more relevant to applications made outside the UK and guidance to ECO,

English test is required and a masters degree would do!

John

Post by John » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:28 pm

Latest guidance is ..... click here.
John

terriblescream
Pakistan

Post by terriblescream » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:31 pm

John wrote:Latest guidance is ..... click here.
Thanks for the info John, but then again this page tells

We will not accept Master's degrees and PhDs as evidence, because UK NARIC can only assess whether Bachelor's degrees (and not Master's degrees or PhDs) were taught in English.

angelica salazar
Newly Registered

Post by angelica salazar » Sun May 01, 2011 3:00 pm

How do I meet the new requirement using my degree taught in English?

The applicant can meet the language requirement if they;

(A) have obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational
qualification), which is deemed by UK NARIC (the National Recognition

Information Centre for the UK) to meet the recognised standard of a
Bachelor’s degree in the UK, from an educational establishment in one of the
following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; the Bahamas; Barbados;
Belize; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts
and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; the
UK; the USA; and provides the specified documents; or

(B) have obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational
qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard
of a Bachelor's degree in the UK, and

(1) provides the specified evidence to show he has the qualification, and
(2) UK NARIC has confirmed that the academic qualification was taught or
researched in English, or

(C). have obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational
qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard
of a Bachelor's degree in the UK, and provides the specified evidence to
show:
(1) s/he has the qualification, and
(2) that the qualification was taught or researched in English

What evidence do I need to supply about my degree?

You will need to supply the original certificate issued by the relevant institution
confirming the award of the academic qualification.

What evidence is needed to show my degree was taught in English?

If an academic qualification has been taught by one of the majority English
speaking countries listed above, with the exception of Canada, we will
assume it to have been taught in English.

If an applicant claims that they have completed an academic qualification
taught in English, they must provide the original academic qualification
certificate (provisional academic qualification certificates are not acceptable),
showing:
• the applicant’s name;
• the title of award;
• the date of award; and
• the name of the awarding institution.

TERRIBLE SCREAM, I THINK THIS PRECIOUS INFO, EXTRACTED FROM THE LATEST GUIDE IS WHAT JOHN REFERS TO , WHEN HE SAYS THAT MY MA DEGREE COULD BE VALID, I HAVE TO MAKE SURE THE CERTIFICATE I WILL ENCLOSE TO THE DOCUMENTS HAS TO SAY ALL THE ABOVE STATED. TO TAKE AN ENGLISH TEST IT´S NOT A PROBLEM BUT THE TIME AND COSTS THIS INVOLVES , DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU ARE LOCATED BECOME A REAL ISSUE. THANKS ALL FOR YOU KIND HELP AND SUPPORT!!XX

davey64
Newly Registered

Post by davey64 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:29 am

This NARIC business must be causing nightmares for people. My Fiance just submitted her application, including her Degree Major in English, translated by the Visa centre but NOT compared by NARIC.

We are very confident, but this is a little worrying. That said, in the guidance notes for ECO/ECM staff is the following Quote; The ECO should adopt a flexible approach for documentation submitted with an application. Necessary documentation may be lacking, but the ECO/ECM has discretion to vary the documentation required to support an application. The ECO should NOT rely unnecessarily on documentary evidence.

In other words, if the application is strong enough, certain omissions may be overlooked.
What a minefield !

twinbanj
Newly Registered

Post by twinbanj » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:25 pm

I wish to know if my wifes masters degree would be acceptable for the english language requirement. She graduated from Sheffield Hallam University (on the list of NARIC approved universities).

Previously the UKBA website said that masters were not acceptable, however today I read the website again;

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... e-partners

Now it says refer to the following document regarding masters degrees and their suitability for the english language requirement;

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... icants.pdf

Which says masters degrees are ok if they are from a British university and approved by the NARIC.

So her degree should be ok for the english language requirement of a settlement visa, right?

suarezi
Newly Registered

Post by suarezi » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:59 am

my two cents... I applied for FLR(M), I have a PhD from the University of Sheffield, I have been working in the UK for three years , I took TOEFL in 2000, IELTS back in 2005, and no one in UKBA could give a definite answer on whether a PhD was proof that I could meet the language requirements (despite having written a thesis and taking an Viva voce test) becuase my PhD was not in the NARIC listing....
they mentioned it will be down to the caseworker to take that decision. As I did not want to run any risk I took the "old" test and applied before the deadline...

My suggestion: if you have the time and can afford it, play it safe, as silly as it might seem

jags6
Newly Registered

Post by jags6 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm currently on tier 1 but planning to apply as dependant of my spouse's ILR. When I applied for tier 1, I used points based calculator and it showed my university in the drop down list.

My confusion is Should I still need to get letter from NARIC 'Statement of Comparibility' to prove that my Bachelor degree meets English lang requirement?

I have gone through various topis on this forum, but many didn't matched my case or they are unaswered :(

I beg if someone has gone/going through this route to assist me.

I have read from the following link
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... _partners/

[bold]has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's degree in the UK, and provides the specified evidence to show:

(1) he has the qualification, and

(2) that the qualification was taught or researched in English.[/bold]

but I'm unable to understand how should I prove that my univ is deemed by UK NARIC??