ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Supporting documents for section 3(2) BNA 1981

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

johan1900
Newly Registered

Supporting documents for section 3(2) BNA 1981

Post by johan1900 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:58 pm

Dear immigration boarders,

I am trying to get my stepdaughter’s British Citizenship sorted out. I’m not from the UK and therefore I don’t know exactly how British Nationality laws work..

Her father carries a British passport and is born somewhere in the early 70s in Malawi to a British father. I therefore assume that Olivia’s father is British citizen by descent. Olivia was born in 2007 in Thailand, I’m assuming that her father just wasn’t bothered to make an effort to get her nationality sorted.. I feel that Olivia deserves her nationality and because we want to move to the EU it would make things easier if Olivia would have her BC.

As far as I can see Olivia will be entitled to be registered under section 3(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981:

• She is born after 21 May 2002 outside any of the British overseas territories and
• She was born to a parents, one of whom is a British citizen by descent
• The parent of her father was a British citizen otherwise than by descent
• The parent who is citizen by descent lived in the UK at any time before the child’s birth for a continuous periode much longer than 3 year
• And the child is 4 years old at the moment.

I also know that we have to fill in form MN1, just the one thing that I’m not sure about is what supporting documents we have to hand over with this application. How can we prove that Olivia’s grandfather (deceased) is a British citizen otherwise than by descent, and that the father lived in the UK for most of his life?

Kind regards,

Johan van der Windt