ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage by proxy registered in EU country

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tantawi
Newly Registered

Marriage by proxy registered in EU country

Post by tantawi » Thu May 26, 2011 8:31 am

My partner is nigerian and I am polish. We know each other since 2,5 years, living together from July 2010.

My partner is an overstayer ( he came with visitor visa and applied for asylum when the visa expired- still no response from the HO)
We got married by proxy in Nigeria two weeks ago. I know this kind of marriage is not valid in the UK, if our domicial country is the UK.

Anyway, I want to register our marriage in registry office in Poland. In Poland this marriage is 100% valid. We also have on our marriage certificate Apostill from polish embassy in Abuja, Nigeria - the stamp that marriage is authentic.

When I will register our marriage in Poland, I want to apply for EEU family permit for my husband.

Do you think they can refuse it? Can they refuse something what is saying that marriage is valid in Poland?

On our marriage certificate there is nothing saying that marriage was done by proxy, just signed by lawyer and my husband's brother.

Can anyone advice me what to do? My friend did it this way 5 years ago with her husband from Egypt, but they paid a lawyer in the UK, and he was writing letters to HO. This man got first 6 months family permit, then 5 years family permit.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu May 26, 2011 8:36 am

why dont you just get legally married in the UK if you are both living here?

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu May 26, 2011 8:40 am

Please continue in previous thread.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.