ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI documents and procedure

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kchakravarthi

OCI documents and procedure

Post by kchakravarthi » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:27 pm

Hi,
Just to summarize the OCI procedure for all.
Get 2 sets of copies of
1. Filled Application form
2. 51x51 photo pasted on the app form
3. Surrender certificate or (Notarized Affidavit+Police Complaint)
4. UK passport photo page only
5. UK Naturalisation Certificate

The signature and photo should not be copied but original!
Carry all your original UK passport,Naturalisation Certificate,Surrender certificate or Notarized Affidavit along with you. Just in case if they want to verify.

Photos of the size 51x51 can be obtained from any local photo studio for £10 or less. I got them in Ilford 6 photos for £7

Just go to the Indian high commission at London in the morning before 12PM and stand in the queue to the counter and ask for OCI token.
Then wait for your turn to be called. There are 2 counters inside to accept the OCI applications so it speeds up things. Submit the form and get the acknowledgement and verify the details on it.
Keep checking your status online and in 2 weeks you should be able to collect your OCI card/sticker.

Notarized affidavit: If your indian PP is lost or misplaced then you have to get a notarized affidavit from a notary. This service is not given by indian the high commission, so you have to get it done by a notary near to your area. Google for them. They usually charge from £80 to £130.
Note that a solictor is different from a notary!

in-london
Newly Registered

Post by in-london » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:31 pm

This is a very informative post indeed. Thank you very much.

I do have couple of clarification questions:
1. You mentioned "Keep checking your status online" - which site provides this info, and do you get a reference number to check against?
2. I understand we have to self-attest the copies of the documents we submit. How exactly do we 'self-attest'? Do we just write words to the effect "This is a true copy of the original" and sign below it?

Mods, perhaps this thread could be made sticky?

kchakravarthi

Post by kchakravarthi » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:57 am

1. https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp is the site where you can check your status. The acknowledgement receipt provided at the counter when you submit your OCI application has all the reference numbers you need.
2.Yes, you have to self attest all the copies. Just simply put with an underline

self attested
---------------
your sign
Name
Date

3. Also the application form needs to be filled online and printed out.
To get and fill the application form goto the following web site,
https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIRegistrationG.jsp

some important info is on the following websites
http://mha.nic.in/uniquepage.asp?Id_Pk=553
http://hcilondon.in/renunciation.php
http://hcilondon.in/oci.php
http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/

Hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
K

ukukukuk2011

Re: OCI documents and procedure

Post by ukukukuk2011 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:30 am

Hi ,

Great Info ...

I have an issue .could you please comment .

http://www.immihelp.com/nri/overseascit ... ments.html

One of the required documents is
8. Proof of Address:
You must submit a photocopy of proof of residence/address that exactly matches the present address on the OCI application.

You may submit a photocopy of a state issued ID (driver's license or ID), or major utility bill (water, gas, electric, sewage, land line phone). Cell phone bills, credit card statemensts, bank statements or lease agreements are not accepted.

They are asking for driving license or Majority utility bills .
Unfortunately i dont posess both but just bank statements and lease agreements ..

Anybody applying OCI faced this issue ?

But i cant see such a requirement in HCI WEBSITE ?

kchakravarthi

Post by kchakravarthi » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:43 am

That webpage is for USA guys not for UK ppl.
Here in london they don't ask any Proof of address.

ukukukuk2011

Post by ukukukuk2011 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:30 pm

You are a king ...Thanks for the Info ...
kchakravarthi wrote:That webpage is for USA guys not for UK ppl.
Here in london they don't ask any Proof of address.

saurya_s

Post by saurya_s » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:31 am

kchakravarthi wrote:Hi,
Just to summarize the OCI procedure for all.
Get 2 sets of copies of
1. Filled Application form
3. Surrender certificate or (Notarized Affidavit+Police Complaint)
4. UK passport photo page only

The signature and photo should not be copied but original!
Carry all your original UK passport,Naturalisation Certificate,Surrender certificate or Notarized Affidavit along with you. Just in case if they want to verify.

Photos of the size 51x51 can be obtained from any local photo studio for £10 or less. I got them in Ilford 6 photos for £7

Just go to the Indian high commission at London in the morning before 12PM and stand in the queue to the counter and ask for OCI token.
Then wait for your turn to be called. There are 2 counters inside to accept the OCI applications so it speeds up things. Submit the form and get the acknowledgement and verify the details on it.
Keep checking your status online and in 2 weeks you should be able to collect your OCI card/sticker.

Notarized affidavit: If your indian PP is lost or misplaced then you have to get a notarized affidavit from a notary. This service is not given by indian the high commission, so you have to get it done by a notary near to your area. Google for them. They usually charge from £80 to £130.
Note that a solictor is different from a notary!
Do you submit copy of UK naturalisation certificate as well?
Thanks,
S

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Yes. 2 Copies.

saurya_s

Post by saurya_s » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:53 pm

krazydude wrote:
Yes. 2 Copies.
So no original documents (excluding photos and application form) are required?
Thanks
S

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:39 pm

saurya_s wrote: So no original documents (excluding photos and application form) are required?
Thanks
S
Yes.

Your original UK Passport is required on the day you go and collect your OCI.

pbs6vas

Post by pbs6vas » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:06 am

Hi ,
I am applying OCI for myself and my 11month old son in person at London
Can someone who has gone through this process, kind enough to clarify my queries please:

1. While filling the family application in the PartB

24.* I/We, just My name or both..mine & my son...............................do solemnly and sincerely declare that the foregoing particulars stated on this application are true, and I/We make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true.
Date ....................
Place .................... Signature...My signature............ Signature.....my sons left hand thumb impression
**Application for Minor(s)
I am a parent/guardian of .........................to whom the foregoing particulars relate.
I hereby apply on behalf of my/the child (children) for his/her/their registration as an overseas citizen(s) of India.
Date ...................... Signature of first applicant..................

2. List of Documents(2 sets for me & 2 sets for my 10month old son) 2 sets of copies of
1. Filled Family Application form
3. Surrender certificate
4. UK passport photo page
6. My son's birth certificate
Anything other than the above documents needed?

3. Do I need to submit any original documents ?

4.Do they send the OCI card by post? or should I collect it at london office?

5.Do I need to enclose any special delivery envelope with our application?
Do you advise me to fill 2 seperate applications for myself & 10month old son instead of family application?

Do I need to take my 11month old son to submit our family application in london?

Thanks for your help in advance.
With regards

kssoni
Newly Registered

collecting oci from london office

Post by kssoni » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:38 am

Do we need to go early and stand in a queue for token for OCI collection?

Is it different for OCI collection, as per my knowledge for visa and passport renewal they give only limited token..

kssoni

londonprince
Newly Registered

OCI collection

Post by londonprince » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Can i apply my OCI in london office and collect the book/sticker in india ?

suchen
Newly Registered

OCI application

Post by suchen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:44 pm

Guys,

Need your help. I have lost my Indian passports hence I will be producing the Notarised affidavits.

I had travelled on those passports on couple of occasions. Do I have to pay the fine. Does the Embassy inform you about the fine.

Thanks,
Indi Help

newdawn
Newly Registered

Hi

Post by newdawn » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:50 pm

suchen,

If I know it correctly, I think there is a 3 month grace period for you to use your Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality.

Regards,

-Ajay

suchen
Newly Registered

Re: Hi

Post by suchen » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:58 pm

newdawn wrote:suchen,

If I know it correctly, I think there is a 3 month grace period for you to use your Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality.

Regards,

-Ajay
I am way over the grace period

indigill
Newly Registered

Post by indigill » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:56 pm

I think they will fine you for all the travels. Now a days everything is computerised, hence they should be able to find out.

mindthegap
Newly Registered

Post by mindthegap » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:15 pm

My daughter (over 21) and me would like to apply for an OCI but neither of us were born in India. My father was born in India (but left the country at an early age) and we have proof of his birth, would this be enough for both of us to apply?

Also, can both of us apply together and if that is possible how do we go about doing that?
Do we just submit both of our applications together or is there a different procedure?

Help will be appreciated.

dash10
Newly Registered

Post by dash10 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:01 pm

Thanks for this useful info.

What about Birth certificate and passport copies of applicant's parents ?

Thanks

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:22 pm

mindthegap wrote:My daughter (over 21) and me would like to apply for an OCI but neither of us were born in India. My father was born in India (but left the country at an early age) and we have proof of his birth, would this be enough for both of us to apply?

Also, can both of us apply together and if that is possible how do we go about doing that?
Do we just submit both of our applications together or is there a different procedure?

Help will be appreciated.
When did your father leave the country? was he eligible to become an Indian citizen after 1950?
Life's too short .. Take it easy !

ssachida
Newly Registered

proof of birth -- indian birth certificate extracts

Post by ssachida » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:37 pm

mindthegap wrote:My daughter (over 21) and me would like to apply for an OCI but neither of us were born in India. My father was born in India (but left the country at an early age) and we have proof of his birth,....
I'd strongly recommend calling or writing to the HCI and asking what is needed. While I was waiting to submit my application, several people were turned away because they needed to have proof of birth certified by 'at least a district collector'. Now, I don't know the details of each application, but, its very worth finding out.

Was quite sad to see so many elderly applicants being turned away.

dpanwar
Newly Registered

Re: OCI application

Post by dpanwar » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:38 pm

suchen wrote:Guys,

Need your help. I have lost my Indian passports hence I will be producing the Notarised affidavits.

I had travelled on those passports on couple of occasions. Do I have to pay the fine. Does the Embassy inform you about the fine.

Thanks,
Indi Help
dp wrote: Hi, did you have to pay the fine? did they find out? you could email dpanwar@outlook.com. thanks in advance

nani_varaprasad
Newly Registered

Post by nani_varaprasad » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:57 pm

Today 23/3/2015 went to apply for OCI for myself. I given all the required documents in Paddington. She took my photo copies and didn't ask for any self attestation.

Is it mandatory?Does it cause any issues? Has anyone applied without self attestation of copies? Plz let me know so that i hve some peace of mind.

I called to VFS,London to clarify, they said if officer didnt ask than that should be fine but not confident about what they say.
He even said its really not mandatory.

Anyone info plz?

Thanks,
Naga.