ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK marriage certificate vs Nikah nama

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

imranhameed2000

UK marriage certificate vs Nikah nama

Post by imranhameed2000 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:45 am

i and my wife are muslims....we got married in london

Can i use a marriage certificate of UK that happened in a local council rather than a nikah nama for my wifes dependent visa application.

she has already got my name on Nadra id card and passport in front of husband name.....

Plzzzzz helppppp

imranhameed2000

Post by imranhameed2000 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:46 am

just to mention i am on tier 1 (general) visa

imranhameed2000

Post by imranhameed2000 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:16 pm

Please i need some help.....can i have a answer plzzz. i have sleepless nights just because of this issue.......

imranhameed2000

Post by imranhameed2000 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Please someone help....

pied_piper

Post by pied_piper » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:14 pm

I would imagine a British marriage certificate should be much more acceptable to the home office as compared to the nikah nama.

I would call or email home office for further clarification though.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:32 pm

Married in the UK? It's all explained here:-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentc ... /DG_175715

If by "the local council" you mean the local Registry Office, you have a valid marriage for all purposes in the UK (and most of the world).

batleykhan

Re: UK marriage certificate vs Nikah nama

Post by batleykhan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:02 am

imranhameed2000 wrote:i and my wife are muslims....we got married in london

Can i use a marriage certificate of UK that happened in a local council rather than a nikah nama for my wifes dependent visa application.

she has already got my name on Nadra id card and passport in front of husband name.....

Plzzzzz helppppp
Hold on a minute,you already have a nikkah nammah (Islamic marriage certificate issued by Pakistani government)but you have gone ahead and carried out another marriage in the UK( I assume through your local registry office here in UK).

So you have performed two legal marriages ( one in Pakistan and one in UK)and now are unsure which marriage certificate you want to use in your wife's application fore dependant visa.

I think you may find yourself in trouble and will certainly raise doubts in the mind of the HO/ BHC if and when you apply for your wives visa. :roll:

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:31 pm

If the following is true:
batleykhan wrote:you have gone ahead and carried out another marriage in the UK
Then,
batleykhan wrote:So you have performed two legal marriages ( one in Pakistan and one in UK)
How can the second marriage be considered legal - irrespective whether the OP has (re)married the same partner or a new one?
Last edited by geriatrix on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:24 pm

sushdmehta wrote:If the following is true:
batleykhan wrote:you have gone ahead and carried out another marriage in the UK
Then,
batleykhan wrote:So you have performed two legal marriages ( one in Pakistan and one in UK)

How can the second marriage be considered legal - irrespective whether the OP is has (re)married the same partner or a new one?
Whilst an Islamic nikkah carried out in a Muslim country like Pakistan for example is accepted as a valid marriage here in UK if it was carried out in accordance with laws of that country, however the problem arises here in the UK when that couple splits up and divorce each other ( this is when the Islamic nikkah is annulled)

The Islamic divorce is not accepted or recognised under UK law when the couple splits up. Therefore the entitlement/inheritance of each person is vastly different under Islamic law to that of UK law. It is for this reason (so I have heard) the Muslim couple perform a UK Registry wedding and legalize their marriage in the UK, in case they divorce, then the couples will receive their legal entitlements after going a British divorce under UK legislation .

This has happened to a number of people that I know and created a major problem . This is why I am wondering whether OP has got married twice in two countries under two different legislation for the above reasons. Whether this is legal and valid, I don't know the answer

There was an incident a few years back where the British husband carried out a nikkah in Pakistan and called over his wife to the UK. The husband had a house on his name only. shortly after wife got ILR, they split up.The wife became homeless and had no claim to a share in the house, as the UK courts did not recognize the Islamic divorce or the rights of inheritance from her husband assets. A lot of couples now carry out a registry wedding under UK law in case of events such as above.

At least this way the other half is entitled to their share of things in case the inevitable was to happen.The only disadvantage to this is that if they have to divorce, then they have to go through UK divorce laws which is time and money consuming, whereas the Islamic one can be done quickly and without any legal costs involved