ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration with GNIB after Marrying Irish Partner..

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

luck_dude2001
Newly Registered

Registration with GNIB after Marrying Irish Partner..

Post by luck_dude2001 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:19 am

Hi I am an Indian National currently on a student visa in Ireland. I plan to marry my girlfriend in the month of April Next year. This is my final year in college so after renewal i will have a visa till the month of october 2007. Now I already know the procedure of getting married but it is the registration with the GNIB that is causing major concerns as there is a lot of speculation in the sir regarding Time etc. I will be changing my student visa status to a Spouse of an Irish National. How long do I need to wait to get the certificate of registration and getting my passport stamped. What alternatives do I have if the procedure exceeds the month of october of next year? I'd be very grateful for anykind of hep provided.

Thanks a million,

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:56 am

Hi there,

I'm not sure what the situation is for you as you are on a student visa, but as you don't have a work permit/visa/authorisation I don't think it is different than for others (e.g. those on tourist visas). Please read the many other posts about marriage to Irish spouse for details.

In brief, it currently takes 16-18 months for a such a visa application to be processed if submitted inside the country (i.e. requires a change of visa status). During this time (i.e. once your student visa expires) your visa status will be "pending". You will not be entitled to work or leave the country.

The option I would have previously suggested in your situation would have been for you to leave the country after the expiry of your student visa, and apply for a D-Spouse visa to return to the country to join your wife. But I note that on the latest set of requirements for visa applications as outlined by the Dept of Justice, they only outline 2 visa applications for spouses of Irish nationals.
1. where you both are resident in another country and wish to return to Ireland together
2. where you both are resident in another country and wish to visit Ireland together

As neither of will apply to you (if your wife remains in Ireland), I'm not sure what the process is, or how you can then return to your wife.

The best I can advise it to telephone the Dept of Justice helpline and ask their advice. Specifically, whether if you leave the country, you will be allowed apply to rejoin your wife in Ireland.