ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maintenance funds for FLR M

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tier1toSpouse
Newly Registered

Maintenance funds for FLR M

Post by tier1toSpouse » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi

The maintenance funds requirement stated on UKBA website for spouse visa states that you can maintain yourself for 2 years if applying from the UK.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... intenance/

My question is, how much money is enough and how long do the funds need to be maintained for?

My situation is that I have been working in the UK for 2 years now, I make enough money to maintain myself but I havent got loads of cash sitting in a savings account. Given I am employed in the UK, will they assess me on my income or my savings?

Thanks for advice.
Sum

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:59 pm

The wording on the webpage you linked is rather misleading. It could be read as suggesting that a spouse visa requires "maintenance funds" in bulk, like a PBS visa. But that's not the case (yet!).

The requirement is that you are able to maintain yourselves "adequately without recourse to public funds". The current guidance is that this means you will have access to at least £105.95 per week between you, after payment of rent/mortgage, council tax, and any standing debt repayments.

Read down the page you linked to and it conforms that you can show you are able to do this by providing proof of your earnings, as well as savings and some third party support (if necessary).