ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

abynoe
Newly Registered

Irish citizenship

Post by abynoe » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:44 pm

I am born and raised in Canada and I have a grandfather that was born in Ireland. My situation is that my grandfather is my mothers adopted father. So was wondering if its possible to get Irish citizenship I know that you need to get it noticed in Ireland by a certain time but if it doesn't reach that time limit does that mean that there is no chance for me to aquire citizenship through my grandfather?????

Thanks any info will help alot.

JAJ
Australia

Re: Irish citizenship

Post by JAJ » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:11 pm

abynoe wrote:I am born and raised in Canada and I have a grandfather that was born in Ireland. My situation is that my grandfather is my mothers adopted father. So was wondering if its possible to get Irish citizenship I know that you need to get it noticed in Ireland by a certain time but if it doesn't reach that time limit does that mean that there is no chance for me to aquire citizenship through my grandfather?????
You probably need the assistance of a good Irish lawyer who understands both adoption and nationality matters. Foreign adoptions were recognised by the Adoption Act 1991 (as far as I am aware) but retrospectivity depended on circumstances. It may well be that your mother acquired Irish citizenship only in 1991, and unless she was a citizen at the time of your birth then you're unlikely to be able to register as a citizen.

Get a lawyer.

By any chance, was the grandfather born in Northern Ireland?

abynoe
Newly Registered

Post by abynoe » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:12 am

Actually he was born in the Republic of Ireland and my mother got it recognized after 1991 so I guess I am ineligable unless I talk with a lawyer.

Thank you

abynoe
Newly Registered

Post by abynoe » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:51 pm

Thanks for your help and if anyone else has any other answers that would be great. Any info is good info to me.

Thanks again

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:36 am

abynoe wrote:Thanks for your help and if anyone else has any other answers that would be great. Any info is good info to me.
I doubt you will find anything more constructive than the suggestion to find a good Irish lawyer familiar with adoption and nationality matters (make sure you choose a lawyer who understands these areas) to investigate whether your mother is an Irish citizen, and if so whether the effective date of citizenship is any earlier than 1991.

The question you're asking is not a simple one. Get professional assistance if serious about finding the right answer.

abynoe
Newly Registered

Post by abynoe » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:32 pm

Thank you very much for your help. Can anyone recommend a good immigration lawyer in Ireland that is very familiar with the adoption laws.

Thanks

similarpregunta
Newly Registered

Post by similarpregunta » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:03 am

I know this thread is years old but what ended up happening in your case? I'm in a similar situation to you and am wondering if I would be eligible for citizenship.

aidycas
Newly Registered

Post by aidycas » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:36 am

I am also in exactly the same position. Any added insight or anything anecdotal would be appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:48 am

The OP has not logged into the forum since mid 2007. Unlikely you will get a response. Please also refrain from digging up old threads.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.