ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cancelling child benefit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

willpolo
Newly Registered

Cancelling child benefit

Post by willpolo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:36 am

Hi, I'm trying to cancel my child benefit after knowing we should not claim for it as we are still on T1 general visas. Have contacted HMRC and they sent a letter asking for my passport and any UKBA documents. Is this part of their normal process? Anyone who knows about it or have been through this, please help.

Also, what will be the impact of CHB on my future visa extension/settlement application? If UKBA knows I have claimed public funds previously, how bad is the effect? Instant rejection? Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

San

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Yes they may want to check you are not eligible.

What is your nationality and that of your spouse?

willpolo
Newly Registered

Post by willpolo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply, Greenie. Both me and my wife are Chinese citizens so I understand now we are not eligible for the CHB (regret did not know the negative effect when we applied for CHB, however we did tell HMRC that we are under immigration control and they still granted us with CHB) so we are trying to cancel it and repay all the funds we have received.

My question now is how bad will this effect be on our future visa extension and settlement application? Assuming we can repay all the funds back and we have stopped receiving it now. Also, is it likely that the HMRC will report this to UKBA that we claimed public funds we are not entitled to?

Thanks again.

San