ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport Application for a minor currently abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

80sBaby
Newly Registered

British Passport Application for a minor currently abroad

Post by 80sBaby » Thu May 17, 2012 9:01 am

Good morning all...I'm hoping someone may be able to shed some light on this.
My daughter is currently abroad and has been for the last few months otherwise her normal address is London. I live in London and have done for 25 years. My question is this, Can I apply for her British Passport from here in the UK? If not...why is that?...If I do apply from the UK and go and collect her what will be the result when she enters the UK with the passport?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 17, 2012 10:26 am

Same child who was recently registered as a British citizen?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu May 17, 2012 11:13 am

The rules are that you need to apply in the country you are present
Who can apply for a child passport and when wrote:Non-UK residents and those temporarily outside the UK

If you do not live in the UK, you can apply in person for a passport for your child while visiting the UK.

IPS can't accept applications sent from overseas. To apply for, or renew, your child’s British Passport from outside the UK, contact your local embassy, high commission or consulate.
You also need to send together with the application her current (non-UK) passport. How would you go around that if she is not in the UK?

If you do apply (against the rules) and you are lucky and IPS don't question her whereabouts and issue a passport, then she should not have problems entering the UK with that passport.

80sBaby
Newly Registered

Post by 80sBaby » Thu May 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Thanks for the response... Ok that's fine... Do you know if a right of abode would be quicker than applying for a passport from abroad, I was told passports can take up to six weeks not sure about the right of abode