ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is spouse visa neccessary?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

imi85
Newly Registered

Is spouse visa neccessary?

Post by imi85 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:09 am

Hey all!
I am a US citizen and my boyfriend is an irish citizen. I am due to finish university in the US, and wanted to go work in Ireland for a while. Is there any other method I can obtain a work visa-short of marrying him?
Thank you! :)

JAJ
Australia

Re: Is spouse visa neccessary?

Post by JAJ » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:24 am

imi85 wrote:Hey all!
I am a US citizen and my boyfriend is an irish citizen. I am due to finish university in the US, and wanted to go work in Ireland for a while. Is there any other method I can obtain a work visa-short of marrying him?
Thank you! :)
Maybe if you can find an Irish company to sponsor you for a work visa.

I don't know whether the Irish accept unmarried partner relationships, but if they don't, and if you've lived for 2 years, then your partner could move to Northern Ireland and sponsor you for a (British) partner visa. You could then become naturalised British after 5 years.

imi85
Newly Registered

Post by imi85 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:43 am

Thank you for replying :P . I neglected to mention that he is from the republic, so they probably have different rules there than in Northern Ireland. Also, most companies will not sponsor a non EU resident because of the tarrifs that the state imposes on hiring a non national.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:06 am

imi85 wrote:I neglected to mention that he is from the republic, so they probably have different rules there than in Northern Ireland.
If a work visa isn't possible then you need to qualify for a spouse, fiance or unmarried partner visa (although the latter two visas may or may not exist under Irish law).

Should he choose to move to Northern Ireland or anywhere else in the United Kingdom, then as a UK permanent resident he could sponsor for a British visa. You could become British citizens after 5 years residence.

As for the Irish system others can comment better than I. It seems to be a total mess.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:40 am

There are often student work experience programs which have a quota of visas for current or recent students.

In Canada a program called SWAP http://www.swap.ca has a visa arrangement with Ireland. You can check with them about who their sister organization is in the US. IAESTE is another organization http://www.iaeste.org.

It is worth talking with the placement office at your college, as well as the office which which coordinates exchanges.

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:47 am

I seem to remember reading from the Oasis site that Ireland doesn't accept domestic partnerships. It's marriage or nothing. You may want to check it out, though; I could be wrong: oasis.gov.ie

If you've just graduated from college, maybe try BUNAC- they facilitate some kinds of work-holiday-type visas. Don't know much else about them.

Unless your college degree is in something in short supply/high demand in Ireland- nursing (but you must have all certification), etc., it's almost impossible to get a work visa. You could think about going to graduate school in Ireland. I think students are allowed to work a certain number of hours.