ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for parents with child age 4 years

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Isam
Newly Registered

ILR for parents with child age 4 years

Post by Isam » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:57 pm

I have been in the UK for 9 years but less than 10 years , I have a child who is born here and he is 4 years ,
Can I apply for ILR ,
I heard you can apply after 7 years if you have children born here ?

blessedlady

Re: ILR for parents with child age 4 years

Post by blessedlady » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:03 pm

Isam wrote:I have been in the UK for 9 years but less than 10 years , I have a child who is born here and he is 4 years ,
Can I apply for ILR ,

If you are living in the country legally (10 years) you can apply for a concession . If you are here illegally or overstayed the 14 year rule applies.

yes if your child reach the age of seven , ( 7 year rule)

Isam
Newly Registered

Post by Isam » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:20 pm

blessedlady wrote:
Isam wrote:I have been in the UK for 9 years but less than 10 years , I have a child who is born here and he is 4 years ,
Can I apply for ILR ,

If you are living in the country legally (10 years) you can apply for a concession . If you are here illegally or overstayed the 14 year rule applies.

yes if your child reach the age of seven , ( 7 year rule)
What if he only 4 , and when is the earlies I can apply ?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:48 am

Isam wrote: What if he only 4 , and when is the earlies I can apply ?
Once you have 10 years legal residence. If you want any advice on if you can apply sooner, you should explain what visa status you have been on for the last 9 years.

Regarding your child : is the child's other parent a British citizen or permanent resident and are you married to that person? If not, what's that person's status and are you married?

Isam
Newly Registered

Post by Isam » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:01 am

JAJ wrote:
Isam wrote: What if he only 4 , and when is the earlies I can apply ?
Once you have 10 years legal residence. If you want any advice on if you can apply sooner, you should explain what visa status you have been on for the last 9 years.

Regarding your child : is the child's other parent a British citizen or permanent resident and are you married to that person? If not, what's that person's status and are you married?
I have been on Permit Free training visa for 6.5 years and now on HSMP for 2.5 ,
No the child and his mother are both dependant on my visa ,

Thanks,

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:46 pm

Just wait until you have amassed exactly 10 years. Go to Croydon PEO and get your ILR stamp

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:57 am

Isam wrote: I have been on Permit Free training visa for 6.5 years and now on HSMP for 2.5 ,
No the child and his mother are both dependant on my visa ,

Thanks,
1. Once you are granted ILR, you can immediately apply for your UK-born child to be registered as a British citizen under section 1(3) of the British Nationality Act.

2. One year after you get ILR, you can apply for naturalisation as a British citizen.

3. Your spouse will need to make a separate application for a spouse visa once you have ILR. She will get spouse ILR after 2 years, unless she can make her own "10 year rule" application before then.

4. If you have become British by then, your spouse can apply for naturalisation immediately once she gets ILR, if she then has at least 3 years legal residence in the UK.

5. You will need to do the Life in the UK Test to get ILR. As will your spouse, in due course. http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk

minny

Post by minny » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:53 pm

Can somebody give me reference for the above mentioned 7 year rule?

thanks

Minny