ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How is skill assessment done?

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BlueSkyLady
Newly Registered

How is skill assessment done?

Post by BlueSkyLady » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:32 am

Hello,

I know there is an important step in the Australia skilled PR visa process called "skills assessment". How exactly do they assess your skills?

I have a bachelor's degree in my nominated occupation (IT) and also 4 years of experience. I'm worried that I might have to go under an exam or test from them or something like this.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:44 am

Hi --

Believe it or not, we are in the business of work permits & visas ... ;-)

I confess .. this first list hasn't been updated for several months, so a few items might not be 100% accurate today. However, it should give you a pretty solid guide; it usually doesn't change radically:

Skills shortage list
http://www.workpermit.com/australia/ski ... e_list.htm

This is a freebie:

Australia Skilled Immigration Points Calculator
http://www.workpermit.com/australia/poi ... ulator.htm

This is a freebie for UK citizens; however, it will give you an idea of the type of information that goes into an assessment, even if you don't want to pay us to do the analysis:

Australian Immigration Assessment Form
http://www.workpermit.com/australia/appraisal_form.htm

Hopefully this will give you a place to start ...?

It seems that what you are looking for is an Australian subclass 457 visa. You can perform on-line searches and contact companies that are hiring. You'll find out rapidly if your skills qualify for the skills shortages to get you a visa.

Some dodgy companies have been in the news recently, so get your feet wet carefully. If a company tries to get you to pay for your visa or extract other compensation, move along. A legit outfit will pay all costs and just hire you (although travel & relocation expenses are always up for negotiation).

If you're interested just generally in that region, also take a careful look at New Zealand. Much slower, more isolated lifestyle that may appeal, and they are having very serious difficulty in filling their immigration targets. Might be easier to get in and get a better position for that.

Good luck !!!

The Admin

BlueSkyLady
Newly Registered

Post by BlueSkyLady » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:43 am

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. Now I see what "skills assessment" means. It's the first process that is consisted of the assessing the work experience, language ability, and so on. I thought it was a whole different step. :lol: Thank you.

Your answer brought up another question: You see, I live in a country where English is not the native language, so my employer can't speak English. So if DIAC Agents call him, how will he be able to talk to them and prove my work experience?

Thanks.