ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS - UK Spouse Visa Language Requirement

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ricardinho09
Newly Registered

IELTS - UK Spouse Visa Language Requirement

Post by ricardinho09 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:41 am

Hello everyone, I am a new member to the site (just signed up a few day back). I was hoping someone could help to explain to me the IELTS requirements.

Firstly, I got married in India in October 2011 and came back to UK in early November and my wife has since then completed her IELTS. She got her results on 1st March 2012. Results are as follows:

Speaking 5.0
Listening 4.5
Writing 4.5
Reading 3.5

Overall 4.5

Would my wife's score in the reading test decline her UK spouse visa, I am seriously stressed as my solicitor has told her to retake the test. I want to submit my application before the much talked about 6th April deadline when new immigration rules are alleged to be introduced.

I've been through every page of the UKBA website and it clearly states only speaking and listening, but I've read comment on this site where member have stated that 4.0 is required in reading and writing too.

I would REALLY appreciate your advice on this matter as I am confused and exhausted and seriously starting to get depressed (five months away from your life partner is just too difficult...)

The notes section of the actual VAF4A form state that you need to show you can speak and 'understand' English A1 CEFR.

The "UKBA Guidance for Applicants" Q&A pdf says even if you took a test that included writing and reading, these two areas aren't taken into account...only the speaking and listening elements.

So, finally then, I want to proceed and submit the file, but my wife understandably does not want to take an unnessery risk (she is the more rational one in the relationship!)

I have read the many different topic threads on here and would really appreciate any advice on my dilemma here.

Thank you in advance...

anup_chandni
Newly Registered

Post by anup_chandni » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:09 am

you are fine

the UKBA only look at speaking and listening, and as your wife has band 4 or above in both you are fine

i had the same issue and our application was rejected on that basis that my wife had 3.5 in speaking

she had 2.0 in writing and the refusual only stated that she didnt have the required band in speaking

so you can prepare to submit your application.

and also ukba clearly state that they only look at speaking and listening even though you can do tests which cover all four aspects.

harv

Post by harv » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:33 am

Hi

That is correct only Listening and Speaking modules are required for the Language part of the Application. As long as your partner has scored 4.0 or more in these modules you should be fine.

I would also take a printout from the UKBA website [http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... e-partners] and highlight the listening and speaking requirements. It wouldn't also hurt to put a covering letter to explain that the UKBA website requires these modules and that your partner meets that with 4.0 or above score in them.

Hope this helps.
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

DieselD

Post by DieselD » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:33 pm

I did the ESOL speaking and listening only A1. It is for basic English understanding and speaking. I doubt if you need reading as well. So I guess she is fine.

ricardinho09
Newly Registered

Post by ricardinho09 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Hello people,

Thanks for the responses, really means a lot as it reassures me here in UK and wife too as she reads the comments from India.

I have spoke to a new solicitor whom told me that speaking and listening are only required. She also suggested that a brief cover letter be included which she would take care of in preparing. Also, a diagram such as:

http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/Compare- ... d-CEFR.pdf

The above link, I actually found within these forums, and my solicitor said it was ideal to include. The main point was to have a certificate that showed separate scores for speaking and listening...and as long as these satisfied the A1 requirement, then all is well.

Also, my solicitor told me that the new immigration laws being introduced in April are only applicable to those coming on the Tiered worked permits and student visas. Marriage and family based visas are unaffected and also no changes within the English requirements.

huzaifapatel
Newly Registered

English test for spouse visa

Post by huzaifapatel » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:01 pm

Hello.

I wanted someone to advice me regarding spouse visa for uk.My wife she took test with ielts 3 times.First time she got refused for visa due to her not having 4.0 for listening but this time shes got 4.0 and above in listening,speaking and writing but for reading shes got 3.5.I have read in Uk Ba website and also ask immigration officer if she needs reading and writing, the answer was given as no but the solicitor is telling me that you need 4.0 in all 4 modules so i am really really confused in what to do.I appealed already soon as my wife got refused.They are only asking for english test certificate.

Please someone help here.thanks

one2ka4

Post by one2ka4 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi, I have requested FOI request through whatdotheyknow for IELTS requirement, as I was worried as well for my wife's results. and they confirmed that they don't care what your results for writing and reading.. as long as speaking and listening 4.0 thats fine. look at the following link, as thats what they saying.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/e ... ing-327700

the list they provide is generic, but for spouse visa they only need speaking and listening..

hope that helps..

huzaifapatel
Newly Registered

Reply for spouse uk visa

Post by huzaifapatel » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Yes thats true but they have a new list for 2012 December which says 4.0 for all modules for ielts test.please help thank you
one2ka4 wrote:Hi, I have requested FOI request through whatdotheyknow for IELTS requirement, as I was worried as well for my wife's results. and they confirmed that they don't care what your results for writing and reading.. as long as speaking and listening 4.0 thats fine. look at the following link, as thats what they saying.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/e ... ing-327700

the list they provide is generic, but for spouse visa they only need speaking and listening..

hope that helps..

huzaifapatel
Newly Registered

Regarding spouse visa

Post by huzaifapatel » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Thank you for the answer.

My wifes got 3.5 in reading but rest is above 4.0. I ask immigration officer he said thats fine you could go with it but my solicitor is saying to me that theres a new list here which they only look at for english test.

Link
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf

I hope someone will help in the best way possible as i have to answers.Yes and no.

Thanks

one2ka4

Post by one2ka4 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi, Huzaifa, When we applied in Nov, the list was showing 4.0 across the board, so I asked through whatdotheyknow, so one of the ukba official replied with confirmation that they only require listening and speaking above 4.0 for spouse visa. see the link I provided in previous post. and they clearly mentioned even with example.

By the way my wife got above 4.0 in writing, listening and speaking. and reading she got 2.0, and we applied on 19/11/12. I will let people know once we hear from them hopefully soon..

pennylessinindia

Re: Regarding spouse visa

Post by pennylessinindia » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:14 pm

huzaifapatel wrote:Thank you for the answer.

My wifes got 3.5 in reading but rest is above 4.0. I ask immigration officer he said thats fine you could go with it but my solicitor is saying to me that theres a new list here which they only look at for english test.

Link
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf

I hope someone will help in the best way possible as i have to answers.Yes and no.

Thanks
This has always been the problem with IELTS it is not designed to test the very low English that is required for settlement. Go with an easier test that can clearly show the speaking and listening at a low level.
pennyless

William1234
Newly Registered

Post by William1234 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:00 pm

To put people's mind at rest, the language requirement only requires that you pass the speaking and listening part of the test.

The other parts you can totally ignore and it would not matter.

I would advise that if your partners have basic levels of English then the IELTS test would not be ideal for them because the test is set at B1 level, which is a higher standard than what UKBA requires.

My wife did the Pearson test, which she found really simple. The main benefit with this test is that results are known within a couple of working days!!!

huzaifapatel
Newly Registered

Post by huzaifapatel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:41 pm

I am still not full convince regarding english test if my wife has pass it or not as the new list it has got ielts test as well which has 4.0 in reading and everything,that list is 2012 december so need someone to reply to that in the best way possible.
Hope to here from some one that could fully make me aware that she does not need reading and writing.thank you

huzaifapatel
Newly Registered

Post by huzaifapatel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:43 pm

I am still not full convince regarding english test if my wife has pass it or not as the new list it has got ielts test as well which has 4.0 in reading and everything,that list is 2012 december so need someone to reply to that in the best way possible.
Hope to here from some one that could fully make me aware that she does not need reading and writing.thank you

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:10 pm

You have already been given the answer. The ukba list applies to all categories of the rules where an English language test is required- and for example under tier 4 the applicant is required to score 4.0 in all four components to study below degree l
level. For a spouse visa only the speaking and listening components are required, as set out in the rules.

huzaifapatel
Newly Registered

Post by huzaifapatel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:16 pm

Ok.thank you for answering that.Anyway just wanted to know if someone did apply with english test certificate with score below 4.0 in reading or writing and got his visa.thanks

one2ka4

Post by one2ka4 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:31 pm

Thanks Greenie, for explaining it properly. I am never good explaining...

@HPatel, I will let people know as soon as my wife receives the reply, hopefully soon.. As I previously mentioned she got only 2.0 in reading..

huzaifapatel
Newly Registered

Regarding ielts test

Post by huzaifapatel » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Hello.

Am still confused about ielts test as its starts from B1 and the 2012 december requirements is all reading and writing as well.

Also it says ok uk Ba website for only A1 and not B1.Please help out.thanks

William1234
Newly Registered

Post by William1234 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:59 am

Dear huzaifapatel

Please read the Q&A from the below link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... icants.pdf

From my understanding the IELTS course is set at B1 level, which is 2 levels higher than what is required for Spouse Visa. Therefore your partner will need to get level 4 in speaking and listening only. They can get lower levels in writing and reading, but need to get level 4 in speaking and listening to apply for the visa.

If your partner is able to, then advise them to look into other certified English courses that are set at Level A1/A2 and are easier to pass than IELTS.

SAMISPOUSAL
India

please comment

Post by SAMISPOUSAL » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:47 pm

[quote="William1234"]Dear huzaifapatel

WHAT IF some one going for spousal gets high scores 5 or 6 in speaking and listening....but fails miserably say 1 in reading and writing ... would that not pull down the OVERALL INTERPRETATION ?

IF ONLY the speaking and listening are required ? then why are there no exams where the there is just speaking and listening only....

there should be an option to not even take the reading and writing...?

every one HAS to take all 4 modules cumpulsory...? and the overall band result is based on all four modules...BUT god knows HOW MUCH IT IS DOWN to each individual ECO to ignore the low scores in reading and writing....

we need some more real time experiences of people please.. we hope 12ka4 will be ok ... good luck...
British man sponsoring Indian wife.Application Pune --Mumbai 18 DEC 2013 Requested further info 27 01 2014

William1234
Newly Registered

Re: please comment

Post by William1234 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:42 am

[quote="SAMISPOUSAL"][quote="William1234"]

SamiSpousal,

There are no exams for speaking and listening only because all exams that UKBA use are from external organisations. All of these English exams are used for a variety of reasons, one of which is for Visa purposes, hence why everything is tested.

To put peoples mind at ease, my wife did the Pearson PTE test. This is a computer based test. To pass you need 24 points in speaking and listening.

I told my wife not to concentrate any of her time on reading and writing and spend all her time on speaking and listening.

She passed the speaking and listening with ease however only got 10 points on reading and writing.

My wife applied with this English certificate in October 2012. Her visa was approved in January 2013.

Therefore you only need speaking and listening!!!!!

mido007
Newly Registered

Post by mido007 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:44 pm

ricardinho09 wrote:Hello people,

Thanks for the responses, really means a lot as it reassures me here in UK and wife too as she reads the comments from India.

I have spoke to a new solicitor whom told me that speaking and listening are only required. She also suggested that a brief cover letter be included which she would take care of in preparing. Also, a diagram such as:

http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/Compare- ... d-CEFR.pdf

The above link, I actually found within these forums, and my solicitor said it was ideal to include. The main point was to have a certificate that showed separate scores for speaking and listening...and as long as these satisfied the A1 requirement, then all is well.

Also, my solicitor told me that the new immigration laws being introduced in April are only applicable to those coming on the Tiered worked permits and student visas. Marriage and family based visas are unaffected and also no changes within the English requirements.

I done the IELTS test and got an overall score of 3.5 (4 for speaking and 3.5 for listening). This was accepted for fiance visa however for marriage visa it has been refused. My solicitor has checked that IELTS test certificate and advises it should be a pass.
so now i done the appeal and waiting for the oral hearing for immigration judge to decided.
any body been through to the oral hearing, plz need a help.

Thank You