ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa if both me and my spouse are living abroad

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ironghat
Newly Registered

Spouse visa if both me and my spouse are living abroad

Post by ironghat » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:54 am

I am a US citizen, my wife is a UK citizen. We got married in the US in February 2010, and we have been living together in the US ever since. My wife has tried unsuccessfully to get a job in the US but she has now given up and we're planning to go back to the UK so she can continue here career there. I thus need to apply for a spouse visa.

I see from the UKBA site that there are 2 main requirements for applying for a spouse visa:
1) Place to stay
2) Financial Requirements

My wife's parent have a large house near Newcastle and would be more than glad to put us up until we both get a job. So I don't believe a place to stay should be an issue.

My main concern is the financial requirement. The UKBA site informs me that my sponsor (my wife in this case) must be earning at least 18,600GBP. However, my wife is currently unemployed here in the US, and she doesn't have a UK job. I am employed in the US and have about US$30,000 in the bank.

So the question is, should I even apply for the spouse visa? Is US$30,000 in a savings bank sufficient to show that the financial requirement has been met?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:41 am

Short answer - it's not.

You need £62.5k in the bank if you have no income. That's around $96k.

If you don't meet the financial requirements - you will have to wait.

Best option - your wife returns, picks up her career and you wait 6 months and then apply.

M.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:43 am

See also alternative.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

qali
Newly Registered

Re: after interview for spouse visa

Post by qali » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:57 am

Dear Friends

I would like to get your comments as per your experience
I have applied for my wife settlement visa in India in April 2014 they have called her for interview on first week of july 2014, since then there is no further update, they are saying it is upheld for further investigation.
any one knows what sort of further investigation they will do, and how long will it take
many thanks

Casa

Re: Spouse visa if both me and my spouse are living abroad

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:36 pm

You need to start your own thread. This one bears no relationship to your question.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.