ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Specific questions re independent SkillSelect subclass 189

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sterncold
Newly Registered

Post by sterncold » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:47 am

Hi,
I am a US citizen applying for Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa through point system. I have few specific questions to which I wasn't able to find any answers so far. At this point it seems I will have total of 70 points (vs required 60). The questions are as follow:
1. if I get SkillSelect visa (subclass 189), is it considered permanent residency right away?
2. do I have better chances if I apply without my dependents (my parents in this case)? If I don't include them in my Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa application, when is the fastest time I can sponsor them to join me in Australia?)
3. I have two Master degrees and both are on relevant skilled occupation list. Can I get any points for my second masters degree? (I have experience only related to one of the Master degrees)
4. can I get any points if my mother tongue is one of 'credentialled community languages' (even though I don't have interpreting credentials)?
5. does anyone know how many points generally 'win' this visa? I know they offer it to those who score most, but what number are we generally talking about? 70? 80?

Thanks a lot to whoever takes time to read my post :)

Cheers!

sameersha
Newly Registered

Post by sameersha » Wed May 01, 2013 11:14 am

Hi Sterncold,

I am in a similar situation as yours however I know the answers to some of your queries. In order then

1. Yes, 189 is a permanent residency 'visa'. You are free to live and work indefinetely anywhere in the country.
2. I too would like to know the answer to this, whether it makes a diff or not if I include my parents in my application. If it doesnt make any diff to my paplicaiton, would it then make their application easier when the time comes for them to apply?
3. No. You can only get points once for the education criteria.
4. No, you cant claim points unless you have got it accredited by the listed organisations.
5. I have got an invite for 189 to apply for the visa based on a score of 65.

Hope this helps.

regards