ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

E2 visa

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

al ababba
Newly Registered

E2 visa

Post by al ababba » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:29 pm

I live in the UK I am self employed running a small business with no employees.

I would like to go to the US for a few years.

It appears my best option would be a E2 visa.

I have read as much as I can online.

I could buy a business there but one site I visited said that the US business should not be ones only source of income.

If this is so I wonder what other source would be acceptable.

I doubt I could run both businesses.

Anyone got a better suggestion than a E2

I don't have any special skills or such and am 48 years old.

al

Filip
Newly Registered

Post by Filip » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:00 am

Hi,

to be eligible to apply for a E-2 visa the following requirements should be met accordingly:

1.The Investor, either a real or corporate person, must be a national of a treaty country.
2.The investment must be substantial. It must be sufficient to ensure the successful operation of the enterprise. The percentage of investment for a low-cost business enterprise must be higher than the percentage of investment in high-cost enterprise.
3.The investment must be a real operating enterprise. Speculative or idle investment does not qualify. Uncommitted funds in a bank account or similar security are not considered an investment.
4.The investment may not be marginal. It must generate significantly more income than just to provide a living to the investor and family, or it must have a significant economic impact in the United States.
5. The investor must have control of the funds, and the investment must be at risk in the commercial sense. Loans secured with assets of the investment enterprise are not allowed.
6.The investor must be coming to the U.S. to develop and direct the enterprise. If the applicant is not the principal investor, he or she must be employed in a supervisory, executive or highly specialized skills capacity. Ordinary skilled and unskilled workers do not qualify.

In most cases, the US Immigration Laws require to invest up to USD 1 000 000. It may, however, differ from state to state, from city to city. In reality, it is highly unlikely your visa application will be approved until you are able to support it with an appropriate evidence, including a proof of your extremely good financial situation, a detailed business plan etc. As far as I know, it is not so easy to get E-1 / E-2 visa nowadays hence I would not focus my attention on the above visa category if I was you.

Good luck!

al ababba
Newly Registered

Post by al ababba » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:48 am

So do you have any suggestions.

al