ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help needed please requirements for Irish passport applicati

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Angel592
Member of Standing

Help needed please requirements for Irish passport applicati

Post by Angel592 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:10 pm

Reallly neeed this info asap please!! My sister was due to travel today using her non irish passport but she couldn't find it.. now she thinks she might have sent it when applying for her Irish passport. Is it a requirement to send your original passport with ur application when first applying for your Irish passport? Just need to tick that off the list weather she sent it off to the Irish passport office or she really did lose it

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:19 pm

she might send it to passport office.i send my original passport also when i applied for my irish passport

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:36 pm

Yes, when you apply for a first Irish passport they do require to send the original of your other passport.

If she used passport express, she will get both passports back in the same envelope within 2 weeks I my memory is correct. But as for today I don't think she can get it back :-/

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:18 pm

jeupsy wrote:Yes, when you apply for a first Irish passport they do require to send the original of your other passport.
That applies to naturalized citizens but is not a universal requirement for a first Irish passport application.

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:14 pm

barnaby wrote:
jeupsy wrote:Yes, when you apply for a first Irish passport they do require to send the original of your other passport.
That applies to naturalized citizens but is not a universal requirement for a first Irish passport application.
Believe me it isnt. The department of Justice will tell you that they dont require applicants of first passorts to submit their current passports.

It is even on their website the documents required and current passport is never nessesary but for some reasons the citizenship division advice applicants they they must submit their passports! So contradicting!
I oppose stereotype, prejudice, xenophobe, judgmental, Ignorance, and beloved.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:33 pm

barnaby wrote: That applies to naturalized citizens but is not a universal requirement for a first Irish passport application.
Well yes it is what I meant and I imagine it it the case for this person.

Of course for an Irish person who is not a citizen any other country and hasn't had an Irish passport before, they cannot ask for an existing passport :-)

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:43 pm

IntegratedMigrant wrote:
barnaby wrote:
Believe me it isnt. The department of Justice will tell you that they dont require applicants of first passorts to submit their current passports.

It is even on their website the documents required and current passport is never nessesary but for some reasons the citizenship division advice applicants they they must submit their passports! So contradicting!
A friend of mine who was naturalised last year only sent a copy of his other passport but not the original. The passport office called him and requested the original before the Irish one could be issued. So I am not sure what the official policy is, but at least for him they did ask for it (and also, just to clarify; issuing a passport is not the responsibility of the DOJ but the one of the the DFA).

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:05 am

jeupsy wrote:
IntegratedMigrant wrote:
barnaby wrote:

A friend of mine who was naturalised last year only sent a copy of his other passport but not the original. The passport office called him and requested the original before the Irish one could be issued. So I am not sure what the official policy is, but at least for him they did ask for it (and also, just to clarify; issuing a passport is not the responsibility of the DOJ but the one of the the DFA).
Yes was meant to say DFA there. I know some many times questions have been asked to Eamon Gilmore (Tánaiste; Minister, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade), who keeps saying that it is not a necessary requirement to submit a current passport of other nationality. Which I find really weird!. For some reason they are doing it but denying it.

Anyway that's politics for you. :roll:

paddy12
Newly Registered

Re: Help needed please requirements for Irish passport appli

Post by paddy12 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:59 am

hi all, just for the information on this issue, i never sent my other passport when i applied for the irish passport.i think DFA ask to submit original birth cert or passport. if you submit some sort of other document which prove your identity DFA will be fine. anyway i know many people who only sent there birth cert only and all of them got their irish passports. so sending passport is not compulsory....

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Send original passport is not meant to be compulsory but in the requirments of documents needed to apply for an Irish passport from the DOJ it say that you must submit your original passport. And the ''must ''is written in a bold capital letter which means that they want you to submit it regardless of what DFA says. :shock:

change2
Newly Registered

Post by change2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:13 am

IntegratedMigrant wrote:Send original passport is not meant to be compulsory but in the requirments of documents needed to apply for an Irish passport from the DOJ it say that you must submit your original passport. And the ''must ''is written in a bold capital letter which means that they want you to submit it regardless of what DFA says. :shock:
I can confirm that the original passport is required, as I submitted all required documents listed on DFA instructions (including copy of my drivers licence as photo-identification) for the first passport applicants, but I did not included my original passport as it is not listed on DFA website as requirement. Besides, I was not really in rush to get it immediately, I didn't like the idea of sending such an important document as passport by Post, and paddy12 said he did not sent his. Ten days later the status of my passport application on Passport Application Tracking has changed to: “This application could not be processed. A letter outlining the reasons for this decision has been posted to you. If you have not received this within two days, please contact An Post at or contact their Customer Care service and quote the following envelope reference no XXX." Now I got a letter from Passport Office. They sent back all certificates, including Certificate of Naturalisation, but kept payment and pictures and in that letter they requested to send original passport along with certificate of naturalisation and send back to them in the attached free post envelope. They also mentioned that as they requested additional documents they cannot now be obliged to 10 working day turnaround.

I was thinking initially to give them a call and explain that it cannot be a requirement as for example people from several EEA countries (27 actually, they are listed for example on Ryanair website) can travel across EU and come to Ireland with just their National Identity card and they may not have received any passport in their life, so how can they submit an original passport that doesn't exist? It does not make sense, copy of drivers licence should be sufficient but it seems to be an unwritten rule for DFA who most likely like to keep their record on your previous passport (just in case).

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:37 am

change2 wrote: I was thinking initially to give them a call and explain that it cannot be a requirement as for example people from several EEA countries (27 actually, they are listed for example on Ryanair website) can travel across EU and come to Ireland with just their National Identity card and they may not have received any passport in their life, so how can they submit an original passport that doesn't exist? It does not make sense
Frankly you are pushing it a bit far here. Because someone never applied for a passport for their other country doesn't mean they can't get one now - any embassy will issue it within a reasonable time frame. Plus every single EU citizen I know in Ireland has a passport, and if someone spent enough times in Ireland to be naturalized without a passport, chances are they will not suddenly need an Irish passport to travel outside Europe if they never ever applied for one from their other country.

change2
Newly Registered

Post by change2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:14 pm

jeupsy wrote: Frankly you are pushing it a bit far here. Because someone never applied for a passport for their other country doesn't mean they can't get one now - any embassy will issue it within a reasonable time frame. Plus every single EU citizen I know in Ireland has a passport, and if someone spent enough times in Ireland to be naturalized without a passport, chances are they will not suddenly need an Irish passport to travel outside Europe if they never ever applied for one from their other country.
We are getting into off topic...
Getting a passport from you embassy is neither cheap, quick nor easy. In some cases, besides money and extra documents to gather, you will have to take a day off from work and go to Dublin. But yes, it doesn't mean that you can't get one, but...do you need one if you live in Ireland and just became Irish citizen or maybe even dropped your previous nationality?
I do know a few people from EU countries who never applied for passport in their home countries because they never had to get one, as national ID card was sufficient. Would you apply for an international drivers licence, pay fees, take your time if you could drive abroad with a regular drivers licence from your country? That's the same thinking behind not getting a passport.

And in case of Ireland, Irish passport is you main ID, as you can't get national ID card yet (although the Irish government has begun roll out of a biometric ID cards) and you may need your Irish passport not just for traveling. Besides, Irish passport gives you the right to travel to US without visa, whereas citizens from a few EU countries still have to go to US embassies to get a tourist visa and rejection rate is quite high if who have a close family member you lives illegaly in the US. With Irish passport you can visit them with no hassle.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:00 pm

I don't know the details for other countries ... but my embassy (France) does it in 15 days for 86 euros, and the only documents required are a proof a of address in Ireland, a recent photograph, and your old passport (or birth certificate if it is a first passport).

It you have waited a year, provided at least 50 pages of documents, and paid 1000 euros to get Irish citizenship ... I would call this very quick, cheap, and easy in comparison.

kaylass
Newly Registered

Post by kaylass » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:34 am

Has anybody had the experience of receiving his first Irish passport within 3 days of lodging an application made in person at the DFA counter if he/she could prove that he is travelling shortly ?

Thanks

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:32 am

It would be normal for a first time applicant to be expected to provide some additional proof of identification, however they say they will accept certified copies of documents such as drivers licence or foreign passports:
http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=84782

In exceptional cases they may require to see an original, especially if they have reason to doubt the integrity of any document. You are entitled to ask why. There is always the option of refusing to provide a foreign passport. That then forces them to issue the Irish passport anyway, or formally refuse the application.

If they formally refuse, they must do so in compliance with the law and otherwise they are acting illegally. They must also explain the reason.

A compromise might be, in such a case, to make an appointment to present original documents in person.

courny

Post by courny » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:52 am

kaylass wrote:Has anybody had the experience of receiving his first Irish passport within 3 days of lodging an application made in person at the DFA counter if he/she could prove that he is travelling shortly ?

Thanks
I applied on the 28th of august and received my passport on the 2nd of September.
passport express. It was strange but very quick! more or less 2 working days!

courny

Post by courny » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:55 am

I sent following:

certified drivers licence copy
original birth cert
original marriage cert
original passport
Nat certificate.
original utility bill
original bank statement
4 pictures 2 certified and 2 blank
form and fees