ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I do another Masters and then a PhD?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

EL CHOLO CARAYOL
Newly Registered

Can I do another Masters and then a PhD?

Post by EL CHOLO CARAYOL » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:37 am

Hello All,

I have just joined this forum. Thanks for all the information you guys provide.

My query is to know whether, I can do another Masters in the U.K and if after that Masters, I can still do a Phd.

My education history in the U.K is as follows:

B.A (Hons.): From March 2006 to February 2009 ( Visa was February 2006-April 2009)

M.B.A in Marketing: From September 2009 to December 2010 ( Visa was from 26 August 2009 to April 2011)

From 2011 to 2013, I was on a P.S.W.

The dates in bold are those mentioned on my Sponsorship Certificate. Adding it all together I make it 50 Months which is 10 months short of the 5 year cap.

I was planning to do either an Msc in International Marketing or MA in Marketing and Innovation or MA in HRM?

Do you think these courses represent Academic Progress? All are 18 months courses.

Finally, when I complete the course, will I still be able to go for a PHD?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Best Regards

Deviser

Re: Can I do another Masters and then a PhD?

Post by Deviser » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:09 am

EL CHOLO CARAYOL wrote:Hello All,

My query is to know whether, I can do another Masters in the U.K and if after that Masters, I can still do a Phd.

B.A (Hons.): From March 2006 to February 2009 ( Visa was February 2006-April 2009)

M.B.A in Marketing: From September 2009 to December 2010 ( Visa was from 26 August 2009 to April 2011)

The dates in bold are those mentioned on my Sponsorship Certificate. Adding it all together I make it 50 Months which is 10 months short of the 5 year cap.

I was planning to do either an Msc in International Marketing or MA in Marketing and Innovation or MA in HRM?

Do you think these courses represent Academic Progress? All are 18 months courses.

Best Regards
Where did you spend the period from Feb-2009 to Sep-2009?

Anyhow, according to me, I don't think that HO will provide you visa for another masters as you have finished your 5 years degree limit. (i.e. March-2006 to April-2011). Rest you can consult with some immigration expert.

EL CHOLO CARAYOL
Newly Registered

Re

Post by EL CHOLO CARAYOL » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:41 am

Hello Deviser,

Thanks for the reply.

Between February 2009 and September 2009, I had to go back to my home country because my application for student visa from within the U.K got rejected , because of a maintenance requirement mistake on my application form. By the time, I got my passport back it was already July 2009. Hence. I went back my country to apply from there.

Does the UKBA count the 1 month before and 4 months after the course as part of your time limit? I am asking this because on the sponsorship certificate the total time of the 2 courses does not amount to 5 years.

If I have indeed done the 5 year limit, can I still do a Masters by choosing a course that represents academic progression?

Thanking you

quantum1
Member of Standing

Re: Re

Post by quantum1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:49 pm

EL CHOLO CARAYOL wrote:Hello Deviser,

Thanks for the reply.

Between February 2009 and September 2009, I had to go back to my home country because my application for student visa from within the U.K got rejected , because of a maintenance requirement mistake on my application form. By the time, I got my passport back it was already July 2009. Hence. I went back my country to apply from there.

Does the UKBA count the 1 month before and 4 months after the course as part of your time limit? I am asking this because on the sponsorship certificate the total time of the 2 courses does not amount to 5 years.

If I have indeed done the 5 year limit, can I still do a Masters by choosing a course that represents academic progression?

Thanking you
You are correct that the one month and extra 4 months are not counted toward the 5 year limit. As you said you have 50 months. I think you can do a masters if you meet the academic progression requirement. However, I am not sure you meet this requirement. Further, your masters course will have to be 10months or less to qualify for the time limit. Most masters degrees I know are 12 months. I do not think you will have a problem with the PhD.

Choc-Ice
Nigeria

Post by Choc-Ice » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:54 pm

EL CHOLO CARAYOL wrote:Hello All,

Best Regards
Irrespective of the 50 months already spent, you need academic progression. PHD will be your only option of getting Tier 4.
IMpossible is 2 letters to long!

EL CHOLO CARAYOL
Newly Registered

PgDip

Post by EL CHOLO CARAYOL » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:43 am

Hello again,
Thanks for all the replies.

I just had one quick question, do excuse me if its a silly one but I thought its no harm to ask.

Considering the above info that I have provided, I still have 10 months left at level 7.

Can I do a PgDip (Level 7) in International Marketing (9 months course)? Considering that I majored in Marketing and this PgDip is more geared towards International Marketing, I think it represents academic progression.

What do you experts think?

Thanks in advance guys for your assistance.

Regards

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:27 pm

It would be entirely up to your tier 4 sponsor. In my view it is pretty difficult to argue that you would be making academic progress. Do you actually have an offer for this course with a tier 4 sponsor willing to issue you a CAS?

EL CHOLO CARAYOL
Newly Registered

Level 8

Post by EL CHOLO CARAYOL » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:37 am

Hi Greenie,

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated as always.

To answer your question ,No I have not got any offer on this PgDip course and I agree with you it will be tricky.

However, I was wondering about applying for a Level 8 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership.

What do you experts reckon about this?

Regards

Olasunkanmi
Diamond Member

Re: Level 8

Post by Olasunkanmi » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:44 am

@ EL CHOLO CARAYOL, why don't you apply for a PHD programme rather than taking d risk to apply for another Msc or PG-Dip which might be refused.
The key to success is knowledge and hardwork, and to have faith.

EL CHOLO CARAYOL
Newly Registered

Re

Post by EL CHOLO CARAYOL » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

You are right the best and safest thing to do is the PhD route, less risk of getting ukba'ed.

But, I am just trying to look at other options as well.

You know if applying for Level 8 Diploma in St.Leadership can work out?

Regards

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Re: Re

Post by sheraz7 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:22 pm

EL CHOLO CARAYOL wrote: You know if applying for Level 8 Diploma in St.Leadership can work out?
Be corrected, it is level 7. Read below about it in full detail:
http://www.managers.org.uk/training-dev ... ions-strat
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

EL CHOLO CARAYOL
Newly Registered

Level 8

Post by EL CHOLO CARAYOL » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi Sheraz ,

Thanks for the reply.

There is a Level 8 Diploma as well.:

http://www.managers.org.uk/training-dev ... ions-strat

sancha

Post by sancha » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:02 pm

I think if University provide an offer to anyone it means they have checked academic progression in line with ukba. Am I correct?
I have an offer of MSc project management and I already did same level course but in different area (MSc engineering) in 2011- Am I on risk of Tier-4 visa refusal on academic progression basis?
Thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:48 pm

sancha wrote:I think if University provide an offer to anyone it means they have checked academic progression in line with ukba. Am I correct?
I have an offer of MSc project management and I already did same level course but in different area (MSc engineering) in 2011- Am I on risk of Tier-4 visa refusal on academic progression basis?
Thanks
The fact that you have an offer does not necessarily indicate that the university is satisfied that you meet the academic progress requirements it depends on the individual university's processes as for some the academic offer is separate from the issue of sponsorship.

sancha

Post by sancha » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:57 pm

You are right offer and CAS are different department and I am not sure they work in co-ordination or not.
I also have MBA offer which is academic progression of MSc but the issue with MBA is that in 2011, I got tier-4 visa for MBA course and I have not completed mba course and changed my visia from Tier-4 to PSW visa to do full time work. University awarded me certificate in business admin in return of my completed module in 2011. Do you think the previous mba history will stop my tier-4 visa now for mba course?

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:57 pm

What course did you do most recently?

sancha

Post by sancha » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:08 pm

My courses in UK as below:
2009-2010- MSc Engineering
2011- Took admission in MBA (21 months duration) but left the course after six months and university gave me certificate in business admin in Sept 2011
From Sept 2011 to Nov 2013 working on Tier-2 now lost the job and want to do MBA or MSc Project Management.
Will be thankful for advise whether going now for MBA or MSc Project Management will be in academic progression or not.
Thanks

EL CHOLO CARAYOL
Newly Registered

Level 8

Post by EL CHOLO CARAYOL » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:20 am

To the Gurus, Experts and all knowledgeable posters.

I am in the process of applying for a Tier 4 student visa from outside the UK.

My course of study will be Level 8 Diploma in Strategic Direction and Leadership, CMI.

Below is my Visa History:

Worked in the Gaming Industry as Customer Relationship Advisor from 2008-2013.

Returned home on the exact date my P.S.W expired.

Now applying for a new student visa outside UK to study Level 8 Diploma as specified above. Its a 2 year course leading to a DBA.

I plan to submit:
CAS Letter
Certificates (BA,MBA)
Bank statement.
Passport.

Do you guys reckon I will be fine?

Please let me know

Regards

d3thmark

Post by d3thmark » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:43 pm

please help me out!!

Thanks.
Last edited by d3thmark on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d3thmark

Re: Level 8

Post by d3thmark » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:43 pm

EL CHOLO CARAYOL wrote:To the Gurus, Experts and all knowledgeable posters.

I am in the process of applying for a Tier 4 student visa from outside the UK.

My course of study will be Level 8 Diploma in Strategic Direction and Leadership, CMI.

Below is my Visa History:

Worked in the Gaming Industry as Customer Relationship Advisor from 2008-2013.

Returned home on the exact date my P.S.W expired.

Now applying for a new student visa outside UK to study Level 8 Diploma as specified above. Its a 2 year course leading to a DBA.

I plan to submit:
CAS Letter
Certificates (BA,MBA)
Bank statement.
Passport.

Do you guys reckon I will be fine?

Please let me know

Regards
hey bro,

I was reading ur post about ur Level 8 Course extension.. I am in ur same boat as well just finishing my Level 7 MBA with finishing my 5 yr limit. now i want do Level 8 (not PHD) ... these are the only 2 options i have taught at Bradford Regional College.

Level 8 Diploma in Strategic Business Research and Leadership Direction (Awarding Body EBMA)

or

CMI Level 8 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership (Awarding Body CMI)

So i read your post u got your CAS letter on level 8 course, May i know which course you get the CAS letter on and which College you took admission in? Did you get the Visa on that Level 8 course ? I need to take my decision soon so please help me out..Do reply me please!

Thanks

shaq1

Post by shaq1 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:58 am

Dear D3thmark

You would be only able to do a Post Graduate Research level course if you are studying it at an HEI. You are not meeting any of those two conditions.