ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can Permanent Resident status be revoked after divorce?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

englishmaninca
Newly Registered

Can Permanent Resident status be revoked after divorce?

Post by englishmaninca » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:12 am

I wonder if anyone can advise me here. I'm an Unconditional Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) via marriage to a US citizen, and I'm getting divorced from my wife of almost 8 years.

Although I've tried to keep things civil, she has implied multiple times that she will be trying to get me deported once we're divorced, saying that the marriage was solely for the green card, which is completely untrue. My mother-in-law has also gotten involved, saying that she wishes to revoke her sponsorship of my Permanent Resident status. As far as I can remember, she didn't have to 'sponsor' me during the process - only verify some of my wife's documentation.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I thought that once my Conditional Permanent Resident status was changed to simply Permanent Resident status, after 3 years, that my status is no longer dependent on my being married to a US Citizen - is this correct?

2. Under what circumstances would it be possible for my Permanent Resident status to be revoked as a result of my divorce?

3. Is there anything I can do to protect my Permanent Resident status?

It's upsetting to have my entire life and livelihood that I've established in this country threatened like this, so I'd appreciate any insights/advice you can share.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: Can Permanent Resident status be revoked after divorce?

Post by Marco 72 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:31 am

Hi, in answer to your questions:

1. Yes, this is correct.
2. Under no circumstances.
3. You don't need to do anything.

Your wife could claim that your marriage was a sham, but that's unlikely, since it would imply that she was an accomplice in immigration fraud. I wouldn't worry about it.

By the way, your I-864 sponsor is still on the hook even after you get a divorce (at least until you naturalize, leave the US permanently, die, or have at least 40 quarters of social security contributions). There is no way for them to "revoke" their sponsorship.

englishmaninca
Newly Registered

Post by englishmaninca » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks Marco, I appreciate the advice!

Your advice lines up with several other sources I've consulted on the subject. Sounds like I'm in the clear, but I'm investigating applying for naturalization, just to be safe.

john.healey
Newly Registered

Another Divorce question

Post by john.healey » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:58 am

Hi.

My wife (US Citizen) and I (British Citizen) have been married since May 2011 and we moved to Arizona in the USA in October 2012. Right now in October 2013 we are separated and may be looking at a divorce. This is an option we would consider last as we are looking to reconcile.

This marriage was in good faith and it is very sad for both of us at the moment. We share bank accounts, insurance, living together etc.

What would you recommend if my preference was to stay in the US?

Thanks

John

VR

Check this link

Post by VR » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:05 pm

John,

Will answer all your questions

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 2ca60aRCRD

cheers
vr