ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Chef Positions

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tiredtrying
Newly Registered

Chef Positions

Post by tiredtrying » Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 am

Hi,

Does anyone know where may be a good place (website) to look for jobs for cooking? Most of the job sites I visit require a working permit and visa before they even consider you for the position.

Is there a site out there that allows employers who are willing to hire people oversea post their jobs?

Thanks!

TT

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri May 11, 2007 12:12 pm

I doubt you'd get a work permit for
this sort of position anyway, WP's
are only granted if no suitable UK
or EU candidate can be found and the
job is on the shortage list.

tiredtrying
Newly Registered

Post by tiredtrying » Fri May 11, 2007 7:34 pm

just on this site, i have seen someone hiring someone oversea for a chef's position. So i am not sure why would you say that. But thanks.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri May 11, 2007 8:25 pm

tiredtrying wrote:just on this site, i have seen someone hiring someone oversea for a chef's position. So i am not sure why would you say that. But thanks.
OK then, I'll bite. Chef's are not on the shortage list so to get a WP for such a position you'd have to:

1. Have some sort of unique chef skill, hard to find in the the UK/EU.

2. The employer will have to advertise for a UK/EU candidate first, with proof, and for a period of time.

Don't forget the employers applies for the permit, pays all the fees and advertising costs so it's a lot of work and hassle and the chances of no resident worker being unsuitable for such a position are low.

However, there's never any absolutes, you might get lucky,but the odds are stacked against I'm afraid.

tiredtrying
Newly Registered

Post by tiredtrying » Fri May 11, 2007 9:05 pm

I understand. I am wondering if there is ever an arrangement where I pay for the processing fees instead of them?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat May 12, 2007 12:26 am

tiredtrying wrote:I understand. I am wondering if there is ever an arrangement where I pay for the processing fees instead of them?
HSMP (Highly Skilled Migrant Programme) is such, but the criteria are tough, degree required, prior earnings and experience. Points based.

Of course, there are dodgy folks who will 'sponsor' a WP and make you pay through the nose for it but that's a dangerous game....

tiredtrying
Newly Registered

Post by tiredtrying » Sat May 12, 2007 5:28 am

what about agencies that will find you job but takes a certain sum? I have talked with them and they sound legit

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Wed May 30, 2007 6:16 pm

If you have Chef de Partie (supervisory) level experience and have catering or hospitality diploma level qualification you should qualify for WP.

I beg to disagree with tiredtrying about that employer has to find EU chef etc, i work in hospitality and atleast 80% of the chefs are on WP's.

Cheers

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Do you have evidence to support your claim ??

Post by pantaiema » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:49 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Could you please provide a link of statistical evidence about your statement (You said atleast 80%). I have traveled around Uk and have visited many restaurants and hotels in the UK i did not see your figure even closer.

Also celebrity chefs on the Telly, are they on work permit :roll: :roll: :roll: Any comment on this ?

Other members please write your experience of whatyou have seen.

Pantaiema
magsi23 wrote:
I beg to disagree with tiredtrying about that employer has to find EU chef etc, i work in hospitality and atleast 80% of the chefs are on WP's.

Cheers

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Do you have evidence to support your claim ??

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:49 pm

pantaiema wrote::roll: :roll: :roll:
Could you please provide a link of statistical evidence about your statement (You said atleast 80%). I have traveled around Uk and have visited many restaurants and hotels in the UK i did not see your figure even closer.

Also celebrity chefs on the Telly, are they on work permit :roll: :roll: :roll: Any comment on this ?

Other members please write your experience of whatyou have seen.

Pantaiema
magsi23 wrote:

Cheers
I'd say most foreign chefs here are EU, some Turks in the local kebab shop but I don't recall much outside those places. Rather worryingly these Turks are replaced frequently making me somewhat nervous of the kebab meat...

I could see a case for example if a business needed a Mongolian Chef for a Mongolian Restaurant but even so - the HO might just say Bert Sproggins from the Jobclub can do this job with a copy of 'Mongolian Cooking For Dummies' from the local library....

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:31 pm

lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

If people who cook in Kebab shops, fastfood like McDonalds, Burger Kings, Pizza huts, etc are included as chefs.

or
If People who were working on the hospitality industry with the above position while they were on students visa could have worked for over 20hours during the school term were inlcuded in the Work Permit category

Then

I would not have been disagreed with the statistical figure raised by "magsi23" atleast 80% of the chefs are on WP's.

Pantaiema
Wanderer wrote:
I'd say most foreign chefs here are EU, some Turks in the local kebab shop but I don't recall much outside those places. Rather worryingly these Turks are replaced frequently making me somewhat nervous of the kebab meat...

I could see a case for example if a business needed a Mongolian Chef for a Mongolian Restaurant but even so - the HO might just say Bert Sproggins from the Jobclub can do this job with a copy of 'Mongolian Cooking For Dummies' from the local library....

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:01 pm

pantaiema wrote:lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

If people who cook in Kebab shops, fastfood like McDonalds, Burger Kings, Pizza huts, etc are included as chefs.

or
If People who were working on the hospitality industry with the above position while they were on students visa could have worked for over 20hours during the school term were inlcuded in the Work Permit category

Then

I would not have been disagreed with the statistical figure raised by "magsi23" atleast 80% of the chefs are on WP's.

Pantaiema
Wanderer wrote:

Thank you for saving my time :)
Magsi