ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

smas4er

British Citizenship Questions

Post by smas4er » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi Guys
I got my ILR in April this year. next year I will be applying for naturalisation. Wanted to check that do I have to redo the the life in the uk test or my previous test will serve the purpose. The previous test was done in July 2012 (ae there any new rules coming that require me to take a new test?)
Will appreciate help on this. Secondly when applying for naturalisation do I need to submit my employment and financial documentation?
Thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:32 pm

The LIUK will still be valid but there is an additional English test from October but I imagine you have a degree taught in English or are from a English speaking country.

Your financial details are not required unless you are self employed.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

smas4er

Post by smas4er » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks for the reply.
I have got a degree from UK so that should be fine. I was a bit concerned about LIUK test as I had thought that some new regulation is coming into place which requires test to be takes again if applying for naturalisation.
I am self employed - so should I submit same docs again as I submitted for ILR (obviuosly most recent docs)

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:18 pm

smas4er wrote:Hi

I wanted to get some guidance around my application for naturalisation. I am planning to apply for naturalisation in April 2014 based on the following timelines;
Arrived in UK Sept 2002
Granted ILR April 2013
I have been on Student visa from 2002 till 2007 after which I was on Tier 1. I qualified for ILR based on long residence in August 2012 and hence applied for that.
1. Could you please confirm that I will be eligible to apply for naturalisation in April 2014 (i have been out of country for only 2 weeks since got my ILR)
2. For my ILR application I provided LIUK test results, can that be used for naturalisation as well, or do I have to redo the test?
3. I am self employed – do I need to provide financial documentation for the naturalisation application?
Will appreciate you help with this.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:24 pm

Assuming you're not the spouse or civil partner of a British Citizen 1. So long as you were physically present in the UK 5 years before the Home Office receive your application as well as meeting the other standard requirements. 2. LIUK remains valid though the additional requirement is B1. 3. The most recent HMRC Self Assessment Statement of Account.

See also, Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting

smas4er

Post by smas4er » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:08 am

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I am not the spouse of BC.
Just to clarify the 5 year rule - so if I apply on 30 April 2014 I should have been in UK on 30 April 2009? Even if I was out of UK on 1st May 2009? Is my interpretation correct.

Second question is regarding my wife - she will be aplpying for ILR soon, and once granted can she apply for naturalistaion startight away as well if I have already been naturalised by then using the 3 year rule?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:37 pm

smas4er wrote:Hi

Thanks for the reply. I am not the spouse of BC.
Just to clarify the 5 year rule - so if I apply on 30 April 2014 I should have been in UK on 30 April 2009? Even if I was out of UK on 1st May 2009? Is my interpretation correct.
No. You will need to be present on 01 May 2009. It's 5 full years not the same date 5 years ago (as that would be the first day of the 6th year).

Also the day that counts is the day the application is received by the HO. Not the day you apply.

Get it right or you might get refused.
Second question is regarding my wife - she will be aplpying for ILR soon, and once granted can she apply for naturalistaion startight away as well if I have already been naturalised by then using the 3 year rule?
Correct.