ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child tax credit and Working tax credit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

techguy007

Child tax credit and Working tax credit

Post by techguy007 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:42 am

Dear all,

Me and my partner both have ILR and we have a baby(recently born)
My partner is not working since last august and I am on full time employment

I did try the HMRC online calculator to find out roughly how much we can receive from child and working tax credits.

1) Our annual income is around £26,000. But I just found out for that amount there will be no child or working tax credit granted to us.

Is it because the income is too much?

2) Can i still fill the forms and post to the HMRC to see how they calculate the tax?

Thank you in advance

Amber
Mood:

Re: Child tax credit and Working tax credit amount

Post by Amber » Wed May 29, 2013 10:08 am

techguy007 wrote:Dear all,

Me and my partner both have ILR and we have a baby(recently born)
My partner is not working since last august and I am on full time employment

I did try the HMRC online calculator to find out roughly how much we can receive from child and working tax credits.

1) Our annual income is around £26,000. But I just found out for that amount there will be no child or working tax credit granted to us.

Is it because the income is too much?

2) Can i still fill the forms and post to the HMRC to see how they calculate the tax?

Thank you in advance
Use the benefits calculator at https://www.turn2us.entitledto.co.uk/
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

techguy007

Post by techguy007 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:08 pm

Thanks. But since we do not have the British citizenship it wont let me proceed.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed May 29, 2013 5:20 pm

techguy007 wrote:Thanks. But since we do not have the British citizenship it wont let me proceed.
Just click it as if you were British.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

techguy007

Post by techguy007 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:11 am

SOrry or the delayed reply.

Thanks
D4109125 wrote:
techguy007 wrote:Thanks. But since we do not have the British citizenship it wont let me proceed.

Just click it as if you were British.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:03 am

techguy007 wrote:Hi,

Me and my fiancee has both ILR and have a 5 months old baby(British citizen).
I am currently working full time getting approx £1100 per month.
My fiancee is not working since pregnancy and currently getting maternity allowance which will expire on november.
Unfortunately she will not be able to work as there is no one to look after the baby and she has to become a fully occupied housewife.

We are currently renting a 1 bed flat(£750).

1) Can we apply for housing benefit? Are we entitled to 2 bed allowance or just 1 bed as we renting a 1 bed which is quite sufficient for us for another 2-3 years.

2) My fiancee used to work full time when we got the flat from a private landlord. If we apply housing benefit can we do without him knowing about this. We have the Tenancy agreement with us.

3) Back in 2012 we applied for housing benefit while renting a Large double room where we only received £16 a month after considering the application. We cancelled the benefit after 3 months as I found a part time work.

But now i have only one job and the maternity allowance (approx £580) expiring soon financial difficulties might arise.

Do you think since we have a baby,less savings than last time we applied for benefits and renting a 1 bed flat we can receive a sufficient amount?

PS: We from Ealing borough.

Thanks in advance

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:05 am

Again, use the above calculator in conjunction with the LHA calculator (click).

techguy007

Post by techguy007 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:52 am

Hi,

Do apologize for posting in the wrong section. I will use that calculator.

1) Will the landlord know we are receiving housing benefits?Will he be contacted by the council?(phone/email/post) For the last 7 months rent was paid on time without any trouble never had any correspondence with him, since the day we moved to the flat.

2) The calculator says we are entitled to 2 bedrooms. But since we live in 1 bedroom are we getting 1 bedroom amount?

3) Are we eligible to a reduction in council tax? Currently I have set my direct debit to pay the council tax in 12 installments.

Thanks
D4109125 wrote:Again, use the above calculator in conjunction with the LHA calculator (click).

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:48 am

Your landlord would likely find out, but that shouldn't really matter as the HB would be paid to you.

If you are not entitled to any/much Housing/Council tax benefit I suggest you apply for a discretionary housing payment at your local council office and explain it is causing hardship.

techguy007

Post by techguy007 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi,

Thanks again for the prompt reply. But isn't in the HB form an option where we can choose that "we do not wish the council to contact landlord".
Since we are already in the property wouldn't all the correspondence come to our home address.
**Or does the above differ from council to council?

Thanks
D4109125 wrote:Your landlord would likely find out, but that shouldn't really matter as the HB would be paid to you.

If you are not entitled to any/much Housing/Council tax benefit I suggest you apply for a discretionary housing payment at your local council office and explain it is causing hardship.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Technically you do not need to inform the landlord unless it is in your tenancy agreement. Like I said the HB should be paid to you and then you to the landlord so it shouldn't really be an issue.

techguy007

Post by techguy007 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am not thinking to inform the landlord just was worried whether the council will inform him.

Thanks

D4109125 wrote:Technically you do not need to inform the landlord unless it is in your tenancy agreement. Like I said the HB should be paid to you and then you to the landlord so it shouldn't really be an issue.

teir12011
Newly Registered

How long

Post by teir12011 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:48 pm

Sorry to hijack the tread, any idea how long it takes for tax credits to be approved for settlement holders, it has been 2 months since I applied! When I phone they say they are doing some checks??? But how loooooong???

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:54 am

2-12 weeks.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:47 pm

techguy007 wrote:Hi All,

I recently informed that there has been a change of income in our family and received a new award notice that we are eligible(2013/2014) for

1) Child Tax - £46 per week
2) Work Tax - £ per week

I am the only person working now. My wife is on Maternity Allowance which will expire in a months time. I already informed the HM revenue about this expiration. They have included the MA as an income in the recently updated award notice.

1) Do i need to call them back next month and say the MA allowance is expired?
If so will there be an increment in Child Tax we receive?

2) I am receiving £15700 per year. Why im receiving such a low amount of work tax credit? I work 45+ hours per week. Does that mean the income is still high to get a sufficient amount of work tax credit?

3) I might get some temp xmas work for 3 months. If so do i need to tell HMRC straight away. Because its hourly based paid job, what sort of income amount should I tell the HMRC? Since its temporary job I am not sure how long I can work as well? - I do not want to end up as overpaid tax credits..

Regards

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:50 pm

You need to inform the HMRC of any notifiable change of circumstances as failure to do so could result in an under/overpayment and/or penalty,

If you think the tax credit award is wrong, I.e. Doesn't match the calculator, you can appeal.

makkan00

Post by makkan00 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi
Not hijacking the thread, but if you get ILR, can you claim child benefit and child tax credit?
Thanks.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Once you have ILR you are no longer subject to immigration control for the purpose of claiming public funds, so entitlement may begin.

makkan00

Post by makkan00 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:59 pm

D4109125 wrote:Once you have ILR you are no longer subject to immigration control for the purpose of claiming public funds, so entitlement may begin.
Many thanks.

vinny

Tax Refund

Post by vinny » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:34 am

I am presently working full time and will be eligible for work tax credit after April 2014 according to the letter I received from HMRC.
Right now me and my wife only receiving child tax credit.

I used to work for another company from Dec 2012-May 2013 under BR tax code.

Will i be able to get any tax refund next year? I have already informed the HMRC about our decrease in income when applying for the child tax and work tax credit 2 months back.(This was the first time me and my wife applied for child and work tax credit)

Thanks in advance
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

techguy007

Re: Tax Refund

Post by techguy007 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi,

Which link are you talking about. I cannot see any link :(

Thanks

vinny wrote:

I am presently working full time and will be eligible for work tax credit after April 2014 according to the letter I received from HMRC.

Will i be able to get any tax refund next year? I have already informed the HMRC about our decrease in income when applying for the child tax and work tax credit 2 months back.(This was the first time me and my wife applied for child and work tax credit)

Thanks in advance

techguy007

Re: Tax Refund

Post by techguy007 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi,

I cannot see the link you mentioned.

Thanks

vinny wrote:

Thanks in advance

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:41 pm

For help with tax issues, contact Tax Aid (click).