ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proxy marriage is now recognised in Nigeria

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lala27
Newly Registered

Proxy marriage is now recognised in Nigeria

Post by lala27 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:22 pm

The new COI report dated 17/06/13,Nigeria government
Confirm that proxy marriage is legal and
Recognised by federal government in Nigeria

iyanu
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by iyanu » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:05 pm

Where is the link to this information? ... I am not sure this can be used for UK spousal settlement visa as yet as I think it has to go through some forms of formal admittance to the UKBA immigration rules and regulations.

Or what do guys think?

Kukujohn
Newly Registered

Post by Kukujohn » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:03 pm

iyanu
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by iyanu » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:34 pm

Thank you KukuJohn...

shineangel

Post by shineangel » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:31 am

COI report page 144 clearly confirm proxy marriage to be valid in Nigeria. Anyone doing apeal or recently refused on this ground can rely on this information to fight ukba. Good luck guys

shineangel

Post by shineangel » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:36 pm

COI report page 144 clearly confirm proxy marriage to be valid in Nigeria. Anyone doing apeal or recently refused on this ground can rely on this information to fight ukba. Good luck guys

johnj1

Post by johnj1 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:42 pm

shineangel wrote:COI report page 144 clearly confirm proxy marriage to be valid in Nigeria. Anyone doing apeal or recently refused on this ground can rely on this information to fight ukba. Good luck guys
Just wondering how the part of "Subsisting relationship" will be proved. It can be acceptable that both couples has been communicating with each other, but what about proving that you must have met your spouse in person to ECO deciding the application. Now that all spouse applications from Nigeria are now decided in Sheffield, there will be more in-depth look in that area. It will require a good lawyer a lot of effort to argue this, because the UKBA has not changed the requirement of allowing proxy marriages to apply for spouse visa.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:46 am

Also see the recent Tribunal Unreported case on this matter.

Proxy marriage may be accepted under Certain Circumstance.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

lala27
Newly Registered

Post by lala27 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Obie please do you have any recent case that s allowed on proxy marriage in
nigeria and also what do you think about new update on coi report on proxy marriage in nigeria.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:23 pm

Well i have never encountered any difficulties with proxy marriages properly conducted in Nigeria, which were registered under the civil rule within 60 days.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

lala27
Newly Registered

Post by lala27 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:12 am

Obie, my was issued and recorded in customary court in local government.is that what you mean by registered under civil rule.
i am just getting my supporting evidence for my appeal because i was refused based on that proxy marriage cert,so what do you think about the new coi report update confirming proxy is legal and recognised in nigeria.
c

diangelo

Post by diangelo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:30 pm

lala27 wrote:Obie, my was issued and recorded in customary court in local government.is that what you mean by registered under civil rule.
i am just getting my supporting evidence for my appeal because i was refused based on that proxy marriage cert,so what do you think about the new coi report update confirming proxy is legal and recognised in nigeria.
c
If the Proxy marriage was properly conducted...Did you get the permission of her parents or representatives because where they normally turn the proxy marriages down is that most happen without the permission of the the family of the bride/groom of the EEA National.In the COI report note the following "In most cases, it is celebrated by the immediate and extended family of the bride and groom"If you can prove that her family members were fully aware and gave their consent in written and officially signed letter why they couldnt attend and that they were fully aware and gave their consent to a representative,you stand a better chance.T

shineangel

Post by shineangel » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:04 am

Obie wrote:Also see the recent Tribunal Unreported case on this matter.

Mine was allowed by immigration judge.

Machara
Newly Registered

Re: Proxy marriage is now recognised in Nigeria

Post by Machara » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:21 pm

shineangel wrote:
Obie wrote:Also see the recent Tribunal Unreported case on this matter.

Mine was allowed by immigration judge.
Please shineangel, can you give more details as to how you went about this. I am in this same boat and will be attending an appeal soon