ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dame Louise Casey:all new migrants to take an oath of allegi

This is the area of this board to discuss the referendum taking place in the UK on 23rd June 2016. Also to discuss the ramifications of the EU-UK deal.

Differing views will be respected. Rudeness to other members will not be welcome.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rooibos
Member of Standing

Dame Louise Casey:all new migrants to take an oath of allegi

Post by rooibos » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:06 pm

I wonder if this proposal will be included in the upcoming EU Brexit negotiation:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ities.html

Now, reading the article it looks like all migrants are Muslims. I should consider myself technically
a migrant, but I don't remember ever being a Muslim and surely I don't live in a ghetto.

I would have no problem with that. I am a citizen of a country that has fully embraced liberal values, so liberal that they would irritate a few. If anything, we're a bit too liberal.

If this oath was reserved only to Muslims, it would be a horrible discrimination.

But my feeling is it would be imposed only on EU citizens, as the imports from the old Empire are already British citizens.

I wonder: would Anjem Choudary be forced to swear allegiance? Should, say, a white Christian Polish citizen be due to swear allegiance to liberal values?

Petaltop

Re: Dame Louise Casey:all new migrants to take an oath of al

Post by Petaltop » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:43 pm

rooibos wrote:I wonder if this proposal will be included in the upcoming EU Brexit negotiation:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ities.html

Now, reading the article it looks like all migrants are Muslims. I should consider myself technically
a migrant, but I don't remember ever being a Muslim and surely I don't live in a ghetto.

I would have no problem with that. I am a citizen of a country that has fully embraced liberal values, so liberal that they would irritate a few. If anything, we're a bit too liberal.

If this oath was reserved only to Muslims, it would be a horrible discrimination.

But my feeling is it would be imposed only on EU citizens, as the imports from the old Empire are already British citizens.

I wonder: would Anjem Choudary be forced to swear allegiance? Should, say, a white Christian Polish citizen be due to swear allegiance to liberal values?
Rather than use the Daily Mail, here it is from the BBC, which starts off with these opening lines.

Segregation and social exclusion are at "worrying levels" and are fuelling inequality in some areas of Britain, a report has found.

Women in some communities are denied "even their basic rights as British residents", the Casey Review said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38200989

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:53 pm

Keeping away from DM may help keep this topic alive a little longer than if it turns into a DM-fuelled diatribe instaed of the expected sober and considered discussion.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:22 pm

The Casey Review: a review into opportunity and integration on the Gov.UK website. The executive summary may be worth a read.

I am not entirely sure how relevant this discussion is to Brexit in any way, shape or form. The idea is for such a pledge to be taken by all migrants.I am fairly certain that given that EEA citizens have a right to reside in the UK, they can not be considered migrants (for instance, they do not require leave to remain) and hence these provisions won't apply to them (while the UK is a part of the EU anyway).

I am not entirely sure why a white Christian Pole should be exempted from such a pledge. Poland and the East European countries still have some quite illiberal values (against gays and non-European migrants, for instance) and it is right that we point out that those values are at odds with British values as they currently are and that we ask for a pledge of integration.

I agree with the politicians on yesterday's Westminster Hour that we need to move the debate on immigration away from numbers and onto integration.
rooibos wrote:I am a citizen of a country that has fully embraced liberal values, so liberal that they would irritate a few. If anything, we're a bit too liberal.
From my observations as a foreigner, Italy is still quite conservative in such things as its strong family links and the presence of churches at every corner, etc. The good thing is that such norms are socially imposed and not legally. I think Italy has got the balance just about right between liberal and conservative values, but that is a personal observation. Who am I to say my moral compass is better?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.