ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing your money to UK

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

itsgeekyways
Newly Registered

Bringing your money to UK

Post by itsgeekyways » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:08 pm

If a person who is on Tier 2 visa wants to bring his money to UK from his home country then

1) is he subject to any taxes on bringing that money in the UK?
2) Does that affect the a person's status in UK in any way?
3) Any inheritance taxes?

WRWR
Russia

Re: Bringing your money to UK

Post by WRWR » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:50 am

1) No taxes on money acquired before arrival to UK. This money was taxed in your home country. I suggest to keep statements and tax forms in case of enquiry. Do not throw it away.
2) Nothing comes to my mind.
3) Yes, but you need to have at least 325.000 pounds in total to be affected by IHT. Also, as potentially non-domiciled resident, your overseas assets may be excluded from this tax in UK. You should seek professional advice if significant amount of tax is at stake.

Also, you should be careful about overseas income after arrival to UK. Normally you should declare it and pay UK tax on it.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Bringing your money to UK

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:43 pm

Everyone also needs to be aware that the banks are obliged to monitor accounts for unusual money flows (Money Laundering Regulations). They need to "know their customers". Transaction from or to problematic geographies especially.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.