ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Buying shares in stock market

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

amnaali03

Buying shares in stock market

Post by amnaali03 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:57 am

Hi,

I shall be thankful if any one please explain that buying shares in stock market is Ok, while having Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa (50K)? I requested this a couple of times before on this forum, but no answer from any side.

Along with my current business for Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa, I want to start trading with my money in my personal account (not from 50K, which is in business account). So there is no question that it will be counted as investment or not.

As we can't do any business which is below NQF level 4, so I am a bit worried NQF level of this trading business.

In codes of practice for skilled workers, the SOC 2010/3532 (Brokers / Trader Stock Exchange) is NQF level 6 business.

I shall be thankful for reply.

Regards.

geriatrix

Re: Buying shares in stock market (for 50K PSW route)

Post by geriatrix » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:48 am

Investing in common stock as a personal hobby or for personal capital appreciation is one's personal prerogative, that anyone can pursue irrespective of their (legal) immigration category.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

seasky
BANNED

Re: Buying shares in stock market

Post by seasky » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:46 am

Don't forget to pay taxes....

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Buying shares in stock market (for 50K PSW route)

Post by Wanderer » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:03 am

geriatrix wrote:Investing in common stock as a personal hobby or for personal capital appreciation is one's personal prerogative, that anyone can pursue irrespective of their immigration category.
What if it was Forex trading though?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:36 am

If the financial regulations allow him to do so, sure.

Immigration rules prescribe no restrictions for either and such activities carried out by any migrant in his/her own personal capacity and personal gain. As long as such activities do not take the shape of being a "business" where in immigration rules may have an effect.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:43 pm

The Immigration Act 2014 brought in provisions to prevent 'disqualified' individuals from undertaking regulated financial activity in the UK. So immigration status (or more precisely, lack thereof) can prevent someone from dabbling in the stock market.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

amnaali03

Post by amnaali03 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:33 pm

Amber wrote:The Immigration Act 2014 brought in provisions to prevent 'disqualified' individuals from undertaking regulated financial activity in the UK. So immigration status (or more precisely, lack thereof) can prevent someone from dabbling in the stock market.
Hi Amber, Thanks for you and all others for their valuable views.

If possible, can you please explain it that being on Tier 1 Ent (50K), is there any restriction on me to buy and sell shares in stock market with my personal capital?

As far as from Geriatrix reply above, I concluded that its Ok to do such trades.

I shall be really thankful to you for this explanation.

Regards

WRWR
Russia

Post by WRWR » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:16 pm

I've looked through Immigration Act 2014 and I do not see anything related to "shares", "stocks", "investments".

I guess, this is the full text:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/201 ... 022_en.pdf

I see information about "disqualified" persons related to rents and opening of bank accounts. But it's about breach of immigration law and staying in UK unlawfully. Basically, it was possible to open bank account and to rent property without proper immigration check. Now it's not. Fair enough.

I did a serious research on this topic, and my opinion is: yes, you can trade shares.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:23 pm

WRWR wrote:I've looked through Immigration Act 2014 and I do not see anything related to "shares", "stocks", "investments".

I guess, this is the full text:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/201 ... 022_en.pdf

I see information about "disqualified" persons related to rents and opening of bank accounts. But it's about breach of immigration law and staying in UK unlawfully. Basically, it was possible to open bank account and to rent property without proper immigration check. Now it's not. Fair enough.

I did a serious research on this topic, and my opinion is: yes, you can trade shares.

I doubt that the OP is still waiting for a response. This thread was last active in April. :!:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.