ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Car Insurance with International Driving Licence

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jbminger
Ireland

Car Insurance with International Driving Licence

Post by jbminger » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:44 pm

I highly recommend xxx for expat auto insurance.

I am resident in the UK for almost 2 years, and 11 months ago got my full UK license. I drove on my US license until I received my full UK license. Many insurers did not want to consider my 20 years driving experience. (Our previous insurer xxx did not - stay far far away from xxx)

We switched to xxx today. They acknowledged my US driving experience and did not consider me a new driver with 11 months experience. It's best to ring them and explain you situation - because as we all know things aren't straight forward being an expat in the UK.

Moderator Edit: The board terms & conditions does not permit advertising or negatives comments about specific companies.

zoomer001
Newly Registered

Re: Car Insurance with International Driving Licence

Post by zoomer001 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:27 pm

@ jbminger
Can you please send me personal message about the insurance company as I have Canadian driving licence for past 13 years and no company is willing to accept my experience and my quotes are ridiculously high.

Regards
Musaab

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue May 24, 2016 5:00 pm

zoomer001 wrote:@ jbminger
Can you please send me personal message about the insurance company as I have Canadian driving licence for past 13 years and no company is willing to accept my experience and my quotes are ridiculously high.

Regards
Musaab
Members do not have the privilege of sending and receiving PMs until they have made 30 posts.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Wed May 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Just to say that thanks to the kind advice of jbminger, via PM, I've finally been able to find a company that will recognise my 20 years driving experience in my home country. I exchanged my foreign licence for a British one a few months back, and was at my wit's end as all the other companies I tried wanted to treat me as someone who'd just passed the test.

Dear mods, I understand you need to remove names when someone is clearly just shilling for a company, but it is really helpful to know which specific companies are interested in immigrants' business.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:36 pm

anniecc wrote:Dear mods, I understand you need to remove names when someone is clearly just shilling for a company, but it is really helpful to know which specific companies are interested in immigrants' business.
Immigrationsboards.com cannot be seen to be permitting advertising of all sorts of non immigration related companies on the public forum. You have no idea how many posts we have to remove due to the spammers and scammers targeting the website.

There are many comparison websites and money saving type forums that could have offered advice. I am also an immigrant and used a particular money saving website to find my insurance initially and got a great deal too.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Wed May 25, 2016 9:05 pm

CR001 wrote:
anniecc wrote:Dear mods, I understand you need to remove names when someone is clearly just shilling for a company, but it is really helpful to know which specific companies are interested in immigrants' business.
Immigrationsboards.com cannot be seen to be permitting advertising of all sorts of non immigration related companies on the public forum. You have no idea how many posts we have to remove due to the spammers and scammers targeting the website.

There are many comparison websites and money saving type forums that could have offered advice. I am also an immigrant and used a particular money saving website to find my insurance initially and got a great deal too.
I tried several price comparison websites, plus a well known money saving forum, plus two brokers. I had no luck through any of those routes in finding a company that would recognise my foreign driving experience.

thornad
Newly Registered

Post by thornad » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:59 pm

Dear @jbminger, can you please PM me also with the name of the company. Over 20 years of US driving experience here too, but no luck with the insurance.

Many thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:08 pm

thornad wrote:Dear @jbminger, can you please PM me also with the name of the company. Over 20 years of US driving experience here too, but no luck with the insurance.

Many thanks!
As a new user, you do not have access to the PM function yet.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kicho
Newly Registered

Post by kicho » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:28 am

Dear @jbminger, can you please PM me also with the name of the company.

Many thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:51 am

kicho wrote:Dear @jbminger, can you please PM me also with the name of the company.

Many thanks!
As a newly registered member, you do not have access to the PM function.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

rsfreitas
Newly Registered

Post by rsfreitas » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi guys, any luck for anyone? I'm having lots of problems, even though I have 15 years driving experience in Brazil.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:39 pm

kicho wrote:Dear @jbminger, can you please PM me also with the name of the company.

Many thanks!
You don't have access to the PM function as you are a new user.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:58 pm

CR001 wrote:
thornad wrote:Dear @jbminger, can you please PM me also with the name of the company. Over 20 years of US driving experience here too, but no luck with the insurance.

Many thanks!
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:59 pm

CR001 wrote:

Many thanks!
(Casa, not CR001)

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:00 pm

CR001 wrote:

Many thanks!
(Casa, not CR001)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:15 pm

Many thanks!
Char (CR001 not Casa)