ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cost of Living in Milton Keynes, UK?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hvaidya
Newly Registered

Cost of Living in Milton Keynes, UK?

Post by hvaidya » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:00 pm

Hello,

I'm getting an offer of 31K Pounds/Annum in Milton Keynes, UK. Can you please guide me with cost of living in this city - especially if I plan to take my spouse with me. And can my wife work on dependent Tier-1?

Any clues on Rent/Expenses would be of great help to make my decision.

Regards,
Himanshu.

smiles345
Member of Standing

Post by smiles345 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:23 am

i'm based in milton keynes. in which catogory are u coming? milton keynes is nice place to live and are u looking for a house or flat

hvaidya
Newly Registered

Post by hvaidya » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm looking for a generic information.... whichever way it doesnt cost me much and is comfortable at the same time... so assuming flat to be a cheaper option, what should be the cost of living - including everything?

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Re: Cost of Living in Milton Keynes, UK?

Post by rajesh9pl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:24 pm

hvaidya wrote:Hello,

I'm getting an offer of 31K Pounds/Annum in Milton Keynes, UK. Can you please guide me with cost of living in this city - especially if I plan to take my spouse with me. And can my wife work on dependent Tier-1?

Any clues on Rent/Expenses would be of great help to make my decision.

Regards,
Himanshu.
Rent of 1 BHK (Bedroom, Hall and Spam) is £600 / month
Council Tax - GBP 100 / month
Add Electricity, Water and Gas - another £60-70 / month
Food (2) person - £300 / month
Broadband - GBP 10 to 16 / month
Telephone (rent) - GBP 12 to 15 / month
Overall - £ 1200 / month

Yes, your wife can work as Tier1 (Dependent).

hvaidya
Newly Registered

Post by hvaidya » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:23 am

Thanks Rajesh! That was quite informative...

One small doubt - are all medical expenses covered as a part of NHS? I mean consultation, pharmacy, tests etc because if some are not then we may have to keep some amount from the earning kity for these medical expenses too...

please advice...

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:12 am

Yes.

NHS covers tests as well.

If you are pescribed medication then you need to buy from pharmacy (medical store), mean from your pocket. This happens when you are NOT hospitalised.

However, when hospitalised, you don't need to buy any medicine.

hvaidya
Newly Registered

Post by hvaidya » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:09 pm

hey, is it like health insurance in countries like India? You get cashless benefits only during hospitalization otherwise you pay for everythin - prescription, pharmacy & tests??
Or is it like doctor's charges & medical test expenses are waived in UK, you just need to pay for medicines when not hospitalized?

And the 1 BR apartment you suggested for 600 pounds would be a furnished one?? Having amenities like bed/living room furniture/utilities in Spam and air conditioning?

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:00 am

Anwer 2!

Furnished apartment.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:22 am

rajesh9pl wrote: If you are pescribed medication then you need to buy from pharmacy (medical store), mean from your pocket.
I think, this is slightly different. You don't buy it. You pay precription charges. It's different from buying. Medicine you are precribed may be of price less than or considerably more than what you actually pay.

So if certain medicine values £20, you are not paying £20 , but precribtion charges, not actual amount. Reverse is also true.

muck
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by muck » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:40 pm

www.zoopla.co.uk is the most comprehensive site to look for rentals.