ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renting a car as a foreign student

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Shyuan
Newly Registered

Renting a car as a foreign student

Post by Shyuan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Hi guys,

I understand that my question about renting a car as a foreign student might not be that relevant on this forum. I've been trying to find this out but to no avail, so I decided to try my luck asking it here. Can anyone kindly help if you know the answer?

I am a Malaysian student which I've been on and off in the UK since 2011.

09/2011-01/2013 Tier 4 visa for MSc Computing
06/2013-04/2015 Tier 4 visa for MPhil Computing, but due to suspension/extension, I had to cancel this visa and apply a new one
05/2015- 12/2015 Tier 4 visa for MPhil Computing continuing from previous cancelled visa
01/2016-03/2017 Tier 4 visa for Ph.D. Computing (so this is the latest residence permit card I am holding)

I have a valid Malaysian driving license and also a valid international driving permit. I rented a car under my name for Scotland trip with my friends this August. But now I was told by my friends that Enterprise car rental company might refuse my booking because I've been in the UK for years.

I do understand that new students will be able to drive in the UK using their eligible foreign driving licenses as long as it's within 12 months being in the UK. But in my case, I am not sure if these car rental companies will consider me as a "new" student (because of my latest residence permit's start date)?

I probably don't have much luck in this situation, but I would really like to know if anyone here has similar experiences and can provide some advice or confirmation.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Member of Standing

Re: Renting a car as a foreign student

Post by member » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:01 am

When was the last time you re-entered the UK?

Shyuan
Newly Registered

Post by Shyuan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:37 am

member wrote:When was the last time you re-entered the UK?
Hi, thanks for your reply! I went back for a short holiday in March-April, I re-entered the UK on 21st April 2016.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:58 am

Shyuan wrote:Hi guys,

I understand that my question about renting a car as a foreign student might not be that relevant on this forum. I've been trying to find this out but to no avail, so I decided to try my luck asking it here. Can anyone kindly help if you know the answer?

I am a Malaysian student which I've been on and off in the UK since 2011.

<a href="tel:09/2011-01">09/2011-01</a>/2013 Tier 4 visa for MSc Computing
<a href="tel:06/2013-04">06/2013-04</a>/2015 Tier 4 visa for MPhil Computing, but due to suspension/extension, I had to cancel this visa and apply a new one
<a href="tel:05/2015- 12">05/2015- 12</a>/2015 Tier 4 visa for MPhil Computing continuing from previous cancelled visa
<a href="tel:01/2016-03">01/2016-03</a>/2017 Tier 4 visa for Ph.D. Computing (so this is the latest residence permit card I am holding)

I have a valid Malaysian driving license and also a valid international driving permit. I rented a car under my name for Scotland trip with my friends this August. But now I was told by my friends that Enterprise car rental company might refuse my booking because I've been in the UK for years.

I do understand that new students will be able to drive in the UK using their eligible foreign driving licenses as long as it's within 12 months being in the UK. But in my case, I am not sure if these car rental companies will consider me as a "new" student (because of my latest residence permit's start date)?

I probably don't have much luck in this situation, but I would really like to know if anyone here has similar experiences and can provide some advice or confirmation.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!
I'm afraid I can't answer the specific question you've raised around whether that specific car rental company will accept your foreign/international licence in your circumstances.

But the general rule is visitors are able to drive up to 12 months per visit on their international driving licence.

However residents (students are classed as such, same as someone who arrives to work on a skilled visa) are permitted to drive up to 12 months from when they first arrive, this is to allow them sufficient time to get a UK licence. The 12 month period does not restart at every re-entry, such as when they leave for a holiday. Reading the following may also help - it's a DVLA response to a similar question. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... dotheyknow

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:59 am

Bad news, with significant future consequences, if you are stopped and found to be driving on an invalid license.
Think immigration karma, if you will.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.