ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entrepreneur dad aged nearly 70

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ska2014
Newly Registered

Entrepreneur dad aged nearly 70

Post by ska2014 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi,

My father has been running his business for the last 45 years and is nearly 70 years of age. He shows no sign of slowing down or retiring. His line of business is manufacturing but I decided not to join the family business and I moved to the UK (currently on ILR, waiting for citizenship).

However, after living on wages for a few years, I'm realising that learning and working with my dad is the sensible thing to do. We would start a new line of business as I still don't like manufacturing line. However, he would be willing to move to the UK and help me set up my business and run it with me here. He has been exporting to the UK too so he could continue his business activities in parallel. I'll be more confident to convince him to make the move if I know if this is possible realistically. He is sad that his children don't want to take his business forward so the decision is also emotional for our family.

I have been doing enough market research and it seems a viable product. Is his age going to be an issue? My mom has worked with my dad all their married life and would like to be actively involved too (68 years). Can dependents work in the same business?

Our main intention is to do family business so please advise.

noajthan

Re: Entrepreneur dad aged nearly 70

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:36 pm

Your father sounds great; like a true entrepreneur.
Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Don't see why not! However, I would call HO and ask.

ska2014
Newly Registered

Post by ska2014 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:27 pm

Thanks both. I'll ring up HO but haven't seen an age limit. I'm struggling to understand the concept, no one would start only after they land. Anyone outside the country would probably start with a UK branch or subsidiary first and test the waters. Think it will be 1-2 years before he would be willing to move if we see any potential. I feel that we are pushing it with his age for application but don't see how trying to run before learning to walk makes any business sense.

Do people use this route to switch from categories instead?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:43 pm

I assume your question is how likely the UKVI will grant a Tier 1E visa if such application is submitted.
To be very honest, the UKVI will highly likely view such an application as attempt for family reunion.It is fantastic that such individuals like your dad exists in the world but to be realistic, most individuals will retire at this age and setting up a new life and business in another country is pretty much out of the question. I guess it would be very very hard to make a case for why a successful manufacturing business in another country, simply wants to move to the UK (family case obviously cannot be argued)
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:25 pm

I disagree that your father's age will affect his prospect.

For Entrepreneur, i see no basis why age will affect his ability to succeed, given his previous success in business.

There is nothing in the rules or table 4, which will result in him being refused.

It does not matter what the Home Office thinks of his age, what matter is whether he genuinely wishes to set up a business in the UK.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:19 am

if u have 200k and clean immigration history, this is perfectly possible. good luck.

It is difficult to argue for family settlement with 200k, as an investor you can bring your wife and kids and not father.

so, I suggest you and your dad apply as a Ent. Team , that way all your family can come here.... good luck mate !

seasky
BANNED

Post by seasky » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:54 pm

First of all best of luck and I doubt UKVI could legally decline based on age. Just emphasize the 'experince' side of things

To answer another question there is no limitation for a dependant to work in the Entrepreneurs business. As such you mom should apply as dependent under the assumption she may be less looked at as an entrepreneur

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:25 pm

seasky, are u sure mom can be dependant ? hv u got a link for the rules page ?

seasky
BANNED

Post by seasky » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:28 pm

n8net wrote:seasky, are u sure mom can be dependant ? hv u got a link for the rules page ?
Dependant mom? I thought it is the dependant "wife" of your dad who will apply for T1 E?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:35 pm

n8net wrote:seasky, are u sure mom can be dependant ? hv u got a link for the rules page ?
Please pay attention to the thread and the context. The OP is a permanent ILR holder asking if his family can come here where his father will be the main applicant and his mother will be the dependant :roll:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

n8net
- thin ice -

Post by n8net » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:55 am

sorry Zimba, I missed that part.