ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Interpreter for Interview

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

arash_uk

Interpreter for Interview

Post by arash_uk » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:20 am

Hi,

One of my friends applied for Tier 1 E. She was asked to attend an interview. According to the guidance an interpreter should be provided if the application requests and she asked for it explicitly on the application form. But the Embassy refused to provide an interpreter and said that the interview will be English.

She is now very frustrated. What can she do? She thinks of three options:
1-do not attend an interview and if they refuse they go for Admin Review based on the fact that an interpreter should have been provided
2-Withdraw the application and try to find a visa centre which provides interpreter
3-Attend the interview and tell them in the beginning that she needs an interpreter

Any help would be appreciated.

ukbusiness2016

Re: Interpreter for Interview

Post by ukbusiness2016 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:20 am

Why does she need an interpreter?

If she needs an interpreter and struggles with English then she clearly fails to meet the language requirement.

arash_uk

Post by arash_uk » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:27 am

You are wrong. It is explicitly allowed on the guidance:

"Applicants must have English language ability to B1 level. However, this level is not high
enough to assume they are fluent in English. You must provide an interpreter if the applicant
wants or needs one."

Level B1 measn IELTS with score of 4.0 and I dont think anyone with this very low level can discuss high level and technical issues related to his business. Also there have been other people in this forum who had interpreter in their interviews.

seasky
BANNED

Post by seasky » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:19 am

You are correct it is in the guidance. Not sure the logic of it but that is not the only illogical UKVI issue.

May I ask what business your friend is starting? I ask because it is a bit of a catch 22 situation.

She would have to pass the subjective 'genuine entrepreneurs test' and if she cannot conduct herself in a simple interview that the interviewer could rightly ask herself how she would manage running a business.

Of course there are extremes where it could still work out. e.g. she is a world class cancer researcher, has patented a cure to cancer and is coming to the UK to join a small drug company. She brings the expertise.

I would go for option 2. What's the point of 'fighting' with the entity that has to subjectively decide your case?

(I still would go for the option of sucking it up, practising a bit and interviewing in english)

arash_uk

Post by arash_uk » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:41 am

seasky wrote:You are correct it is in the guidance. Not sure the logic of it but that is not the only illogical UKVI issue.

May I ask what business your friend is starting? I ask because it is a bit of a catch 22 situation.

She would have to pass the subjective 'genuine entrepreneurs test' and if she cannot conduct herself in a simple interview that the interviewer could rightly ask herself how she would manage running a business.

Of course there are extremes where it could still work out. e.g. she is a world class cancer researcher, has patented a cure to cancer and is coming to the UK to join a small drug company. She brings the expertise.

I would go for option 2. What's the point of 'fighting' with the entity that has to subjectively decide your case?

(I still would go for the option of sucking it up, practising a bit and interviewing in english)
Thank you. I know that she has to obey the rules but the same guidance gives her an option to have an interpreter and even UKVI acknowledges that B1 level is not enough to explain a very technical business plan. Her business is in the field of steel manufacturing. It needs detailed explanations about various manufacturing process and so one with IELTS 4.0 cannot be expected to handle it properly.

seasky
BANNED

Post by seasky » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:00 pm

arash_uk wrote: Thank you. I know that she has to obey the rules but the same guidance gives her an option to have an interpreter and even UKVI acknowledges that B1 level is not enough to explain a very technical business plan. Her business is in the field of steel manufacturing. It needs detailed explanations about various manufacturing process and so one with IELTS 4.0 cannot be expected to handle it properly.
Sounds like a very interesting business. Unlike some of the crap that comes through this forum.

Here is the thing it seems some of the guidance is cut and paste from other visas. examples if you are under 18 and applying for ILR as T1E you don't have to do english test. That would mean you received your t1e at under 15 years old...

Also HO sets it's own rules SAR should be given within 40 days I am now waiting for quadruple that...

In short you have to work within the system.