ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Received call claiming to be from Home Office

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sm12
Diamond Member

Received call claiming to be from Home Office

Post by sm12 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:39 pm

I received a call from a private number today claiming that it was from the Home Office.

The person confirmed my name but then the call got disconnected.

Would it be worthwhile to call them back on the number listed on the website? Also, do HO always call from private number?

awan905
Member of Standing

Re: Received call claiming to be from Home Office

Post by awan905 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:52 pm

Never heard this before, but you need to a bit careful, because this could be someone trying to do scam.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:02 pm

See link below of other members experience.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... 11384.html

If HO really want to speak to you, I am sure they will call again or will write to you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:08 pm

HO representatives might (in rare cases) call you to discuss issues related to your payment, documents or case in general.
However you must make sure that the caller is genuinely calling from HO. So you need to politely ask the caller to confirm very specific information regarding your application before trusting them in any way.

Note: It would be rare that a scammer ends up calling you exactly during the period that your application is under process, claiming to be from HO; This however does not mean that you should not approach this carefully
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

sm12
Diamond Member

Post by sm12 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:26 pm

Thank you all for your replies.

Do you think that just to be safe I should call their helpline? Can they reject applications over something of this sort?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:40 pm

No, any official request will come in post. Calling you in advance is usually a form of courtesy from them to let you know about things in advance.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

sm12
Diamond Member

Post by sm12 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:34 pm

After the call above on Monday, on Tuesday 29th, I had a missed call from a private number but no voicemail was left for me. I was in a meeting so could not take the call that day. I have not received any other message or email.
Did anyone here get a call for interview invites? I can't think of any other reason that they would call after such a long time from my application.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:22 am

Official communications are via post. Ignore any other form of communications :!:

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:24 am

sm12 wrote:I received a call from a private number today claiming that it was from the Home Office.

Would it be worthwhile to call them back on the number listed on the website? Also, do HO always call from private number?
Probably a 'friend' (or enemy) having a laugh - or worse.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

sm12
Diamond Member

Post by sm12 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:24 pm

noajthan wrote:
sm12 wrote:I received a call from a private number today claiming that it was from the Home Office.

Probably a 'friend' (or enemy) having a laugh - or worse.

Haven't received any communication since the two calls last week, so maybe you are right.

Frankens
Newly Registered

Post by Frankens » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi #sm12 I am in the same situation. Missed a call from No Caller ID yesterday and today got this call again but could not pick up, no voicemail. It might be from HO I guess as I did my biometric 2 weeks ago.

sm12, did you get any official communications from HO until now?

Regards,

sm12
Diamond Member

Post by sm12 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:11 pm

^^
No, not after the two calls I mentioned here.