ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Tier 2 ICT into Tier 1 Entrepreneur

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

VijayaM27
Newly Registered

Switching from Tier 2 ICT into Tier 1 Entrepreneur

Post by VijayaM27 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:47 am

Hi,

I am currently on Tier 2 ICT Long term and want to switch into Tier 1 Entrepreneur. There is no specific UKBA guidance on this but it seems any Tier 2 Visa holder can switch into Tier 1. Would like to get your views on this.

Also, I haven't come across any in-country switching from Tier 2 ICT to Tier 1 Ent which made me curious.

Thanks..

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: Switching from Tier 2 ICT into Tier 1 Entrepreneur

Post by Lucapooka » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:53 am

VijayaM27 wrote:There is no specific UKBA guidance on this but it seems any Tier 2 Visa holder can switch into Tier 1. Would like to get your views on this.
There is specific UKBA guidance in the guidance document for T1 (Ent) applications. You may have overlooked it but please refer to Para 21.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... dance1.pdf

A Tier 2 migrant, in this case, is defined as any of the Tier 2 categories.

VijayaM27
Newly Registered

Post by VijayaM27 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have gone through this guidance but was misleaded by a post on this forum.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:02 pm

For your other concern, Tier 2 (ICT) is generally a very secure situation and so hardly any migrants in this category would feel the need to switch out of this.

VijayaM27
Newly Registered

Post by VijayaM27 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:09 pm

You are right, but unfortunately there is no provision for settling in UK and you always have to leave after 5 years(I completed 2.5 years and have leave to remain until July next year). I started exploring other options so I can continue to work(self employment) in UK without a hindrance.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:21 pm

Great, but as long as you know that you can't aggregate T2 and T1 (ent) for ILR.

alshanky
Newly Registered

Post by alshanky » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi Vijaya,

My sister is also at the same situation. She came here in 2013 on a tier 2 (ICT) dependent visa and has been working both as Ltd company Director (contractor) and as a permanent (for a short time). Could you please give me some guidance if you have gone ahead and done your switching?

Thanks

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:07 pm

Member VijayaM27 last active on forum in Nov 2013 :!:
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:08 pm

alshanky wrote:Hi Vijaya,

My sister is also at the same situation. She came here in 2013 on a tier 2 (ICT) dependent visa and has been working both as Ltd company Director (contractor) and as a permanent (for a short time). Could you please give me some guidance if you have gone ahead and done your switching?

Thanks
Your sister is "not" at the same situation. She is a dependant, the OP wasn't! She cannot switch.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

alshanky
Newly Registered

Post by alshanky » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:11 pm

Where does it state tier 2 (ICT) dependent can't switch into this category?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:15 pm

alshanky wrote:Where does it state tier 2 (ICT) dependent can't switch into this category?
Switch = to apply WITHIN the UK. She cannot switch. She has to apply from home country.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-entrepreneur/ ... -this-visa
9. Switch to this visa
You may be able to switch to a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa.

You should apply before your current visa expires.

You can apply to switch to this visa if you meet the eligibility requirements and you’re already in the UK under one of the following categories:

Tier 1 (General)
Tier 1 (Investor) 

Tier 1 (Graduate entrepreneur) 

business person 

innovator 

Highly Skilled Migrant Programme 

work permit holder 

self-employed lawyer 

writer, composer or artist 

investor 

International Graduate Scheme (or its predecessor, the Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme) 

Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme 

Tier 2 

prospective entrepreneur 

a visitor who has been carrying out permitted activities as a prospective entrepreneur
You can also switch from one of the following categories if you have specific types of funding: 

Tier 1 (General)
Tier 1 (Post-study work) 

Tier 4 

student 

student re-sitting an examination 

student nurse 

student writing up a thesis 

postgraduate doctor or dentist
You must leave the UK and make your application from abroad if you’re in another category.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alshanky
Newly Registered

Post by alshanky » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:22 pm

why does she have to apply from home country when she is already here in the UK on Tier 2 ICT dependent category? Can't she switch into Tier 1 Enterpreneur category from Tier 2 ICT?
CR001 wrote:
alshanky wrote:Where does it state tier 2 (ICT) dependent can't switch into this category?
Switch = to apply WITHIN the UK. She cannot switch. She has to apply from home country.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-entrepreneur/ ... -this-visa
9. Switch to this visa
You may be able to switch to a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa.

You should apply before your current visa expires.

You can apply to switch to this visa if you meet the eligibility requirements and you’re already in the UK under one of the following categories:

Tier 1 (General)
Tier 1 (Investor) 

Tier 1 (Graduate entrepreneur) 

business person 

innovator 

Highly Skilled Migrant Programme 

work permit holder 

self-employed lawyer 

writer, composer or artist 

investor 

International Graduate Scheme (or its predecessor, the Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme) 

Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme 

Tier 2 

prospective entrepreneur 

a visitor who has been carrying out permitted activities as a prospective entrepreneur
You can also switch from one of the following categories if you have specific types of funding: 

Tier 1 (General)
Tier 1 (Post-study work) 

Tier 4 

student 

student re-sitting an examination 

student nurse 

student writing up a thesis 

postgraduate doctor or dentist
You must leave the UK and make your application from abroad if you’re in another category.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:27 pm

alshanky wrote:why does she have to apply from home country when she is already here in the UK on Tier 2 ICT dependent category? Can't she switch into Tier 1 Enterpreneur category from Tier 2 ICT?
CR001 wrote:https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-entrepreneur/ ... -this-visa
No she can't. These are the rules. The only visa she could switch to within the UK is a spouse settlement visa (which is obviously not relevant to her). She cannot switch to Tier 1 Ent or Tier 2 General within the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alshanky
Newly Registered

Post by alshanky » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:40 pm

CR001 wrote:https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-entrepreneur/ ... -this-visa
[/quote]
No she can't. These are the rules. The only visa she could switch to within the UK is a spouse settlement visa (which is obviously not relevant to her). She cannot switch to Tier 1 Ent or Tier 2 General within the UK.[/quote]

Not sure if you read my post properly or not. She is trying to switch from Tier 2 ICT (Dependent) visa category to Tier 1 Enterpreneur NOT Tier 2 General as you have mentioned. I don't think there are any restrictions to this

alshanky
Newly Registered

Post by alshanky » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:46 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 4_2016.pdf

28.You are allowed to make an initial application in the UK for leave to remain as a Tier 1
(Entrepreneur) migrant if you are currently in the UK with permission to stay as:
▪ a Highly Skilled migrant;
▪ a Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) migrant; ▪ a Tier 1 (General) migrant;
▪ a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) migrant; ▪ a Tier 1 (Investor) migrant;
▪ a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)
migrant;
▪ a Businessperson; ▪ an Innovator;
▪ a Work Permit holder; ▪ a Writer, Composer or Artist;
▪ a Self employed Lawyer; ▪ a participant in the International
Graduates Scheme (or its predecessor,
the Science & Engineering Graduate
Scheme);
▪ an Investor; ▪ a participant in the Fresh Talent: Working
in Scotland Scheme;
▪ a Tier 2 migrant; ▪ a visitor who has been undertaking
permitted activities as a prospective
entrepreneur.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:50 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Is your sister a Tier 2 migrant? No she is a PBS (Tier 2) dependant!!! Her husband is a Tier 2 migrant, not she!!! The husband may switch ... but you are asking about your sister, right!!

1. Do you see "Tier 2 dependant" or "dependant" mentioned in the list of immigration categories allowed to switch?
2. Do you understand what the text underlined by CR001 means?

If you still aren't convinced, read 245DD(e). It will show you the same list of categories - and please observe the absence the word "dependant" as in the lists posted above.
If after that you remain unconvinced, ask a competent lawyer.

If even that doesn't convince you, please ask your sister to apply!! Perhaps a refusal will ..... convince you!

:roll:
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

alshanky
Newly Registered

Post by alshanky » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:14 pm

geriatrix wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

Is your sister a Tier 2 migrant? No she is a PBS (Tier 2) dependant!!! Her husband is a Tier 2 migrant, not she!!! The husband may switch ... but you are asking about your sister, right!!

1. Do you see "Tier 2 dependant" or "dependant" mentioned in the list of immigration categories allowed to switch?
2. Do you understand what the text underlined by CR001 means?

If you still aren't convinced, read 245DD(e). It will show you the same list of categories - and please observe the absence the word "dependant" as in the lists posted above.
If after that you remain unconvinced, ask a competent lawyer.

If even that doesn't convince you, please ask your sister to apply!! Perhaps a refusal will ..... convince you!

:roll:
Thanks for your comments. As far as I know/remember, there was no distinction between a Tier n visa issue to the main applicant and their dependents. In fact T2 ICT dependents have more power to work for any employer while the main applicant resides/stays in UK. So I assumed the generic reference to "Tier 2 Migrant " refers both the main applicant and his dependent(s). I may be wrong, but I haven't found any guidance regarding this.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:15 pm

A person with a dependant visa is NOT technically part of the point based system and therefore cannot switch to a different category as she/he wishes. A dependant's immigration status is entirely dependant on his/her partner. If the main applicant partner switches to some other category, all dependants of him/her are allowed to switch too.

A dependant visa holder is NOT allowed to change from being a PBS dependant to another category of the point based system unless they apply FROM OUTSIDE the UK.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice