ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for permanent leave to remain on combination visa

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ngrm
Newly Registered

Apply for permanent leave to remain on combination visa

Post by ngrm » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:01 pm

Hello,

I have been on a Tier 2 (general) visa for 4 years, and I'm planning to apply for Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa in a few months. I am also going to apply for the permanent leave to remain in a year and then citizenship.

Reading the Home Office pages and surfing the internet, I couldn't find a clear answer to my question.

To apply for permanent leave to remain, if I have stayed on my Tier 2 for 5 years (and haven't exceeded the 180 days out), I am eligible to apply. Separately, if I have a Tier 1 visa for 5 years I can apply. But, what would be my situation if I was on a Tier 2 General for 4 years and on a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur or Exceptional Talent) for the last remaining year?

I could find some information about moving from Tier 1 to Tier 2 and applying for leave to remain after 5 years in total, but not the other way round!

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Apply for permanent leave to remain on combination visa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:18 am

You cannot combine the two categories to make up 5 years as far as I am aware. You need 5 years in either. Your best bet would be to stay on Tier 2 G and then get ILR.
I could find some information about moving from Tier 1 to Tier 2 and applying for leave to remain after 5 years in total, but not the other way round!
This is only relevant to Tier 1 General, which is a closed category now.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

inspiron
Newly Registered

Re: Apply for permanent leave to remain on combination visa

Post by inspiron » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:45 pm

You can combine Tier1 exceptional talent to your previous Tier2 stay towards the 5 years.

The following is from the Tier 1 exceptional talent guidance document:
84. You can also qualify if you have less than five years’ leave under Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) but you have a continuous five years which includes leave you previously held as a:
 Tier 1 Migrant (excluding as a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Migrant or Tier 1 (Post- Study Work) Migrant); or
 Tier 2 Migrant (excluding as a Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) Migrant).