ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canadian Citizen entering UK without visa

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

etrab
Newly Registered

Canadian Citizen entering UK without visa

Post by etrab » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi,
My husband has a Tier 1 General Work Visa here in UK and I am his dependent on the same visa. We plan to apply for settlement in January 2015. I am a Canadian citizen and our son was born in UK last year -- he is also a Canadian citizen. We are all residents here in the UK.

We have not applied for a UK visa for him as our own visa is expiring in January and we intend on applying for his citizenship as soon as settlement goes through in January 2015.

My question is: I plan to travel to Canada this year with my son. Will we have trouble getting back in to UK, if he does not have a UK visa (keeping in mind that he is a Canadian citizen)? I know Canadian citizens can enter UK for 6 months normally.

Thanks for your help!

O_Relly

Re: Canadian Citizen entering UK without visa

Post by O_Relly » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Interesting situation, will wait until one of the moderators, Amber / Casa to respond.

As far as I am aware, if the child re-enters the UK on a Canadian passport, then he would be considered to have 6 months leave to remain, and normally one cannot naturalize or apply for a different visa whilst still on a (Virtual) Visitor visa.

However, since he was born in the UK, he should be ok to register as British once either parent has ILR, followed by an application for a British Passport.
Cheers,
OR

O_Relly

Re: Canadian Citizen entering UK without visa

Post by O_Relly » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:14 pm

See also,
http://www.immigrationboards.com/uk-tie ... 72537.html

Going by the above discussion it appears that the child will become an overstayer if he enters the UK on his Canadian passport and stays beyond the 6 months.

Can Amber / Casa / Respected Guru's / Other members with the answer to this question, please confirm the same ?
Cheers,
OR