ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Has anyone got more than 3 years of extension?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

IndianConsult
inactive

Has anyone got more than 3 years of extension?

Post by IndianConsult » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:28 pm

Hello,

Tier 1 extension guidance document on page 1 says "3) Tier 1 (General) extensions will be granted for either three years or the balance the applicant needs to take their time granted in the category to five years, whichever is longer."

This implies that it is possible to get one more 3 years period. Has you or know if anyone who has got it for more than 3 years?

I know that even if one gets more than 3 years of period post April 2015 to complete 5 years to meet ILR eligibility, it will go beyond April 2018 and it is uncertain if that will be considered for ILR. The guidance document says that there might be some changes for ILR for Tier 1 General category but we will have to wait.

Thanks,
A

iubus2005

Re: Has anyone got more than 3 years of extension?

Post by iubus2005 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:30 am

It seems their intent was to give 3 or more. However, based on the language, it doesn't look like anyone is going to get more than 3 years.I have asked the same question a couple of times. The language in the form / guidance is confusing. The only hope is some changes in future.

I hope UKBA clarifies the point. It can save me a lot of money specially from an extra round of applications for all the dependents.

Cheers.

IndianConsult
inactive

Post by IndianConsult » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:30 pm

iubus2005 wrote:It seems their intent was to give 3 or more. However, based on the language, it doesn't look like anyone is going to get more than 3 years.I have asked the same question a couple of times. The language in the form / guidance is confusing. The only hope is some changes in future.

I hope UKBA clarifies the point. It can save me a lot of money specially from an extra round of applications for all the dependents.

Cheers.

Thanks for the response. I have to apply for an extension as my visa expires on 22nd March. I will request for more than 3 years. I will keep the forum posted.

samiconcai
Newly Registered

Post by samiconcai » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:56 pm

Hi,

I called home office last week regarding my wife (dependent) visa as she will not finish her 5 years even after getting another tier-1 dependent extension next month because she will still be short of 8 months to he able to qualify for ILR.

The guy at the home office goes she will get a visa for more than 3 years i.e. whatever the duration is required to be able to qualify for ILR. He explicitly mention that "So she apply for ILR at the end of this extension".

hope this helps

IndianConsult
inactive

Post by IndianConsult » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:49 pm

samiconcai wrote:Hi,

I called home office last week regarding my wife (dependent) visa as she will not finish her 5 years even after getting another tier-1 dependent extension next month because she will still be short of 8 months to he able to qualify for ILR.

The guy at the home office goes she will get a visa for more than 3 years i.e. whatever the duration is required to be able to qualify for ILR. He explicitly mention that "So she apply for ILR at the end of this extension".

hope this helps

Thanks for the information. I have a follow up but off topic question - Do dependent family members also need to complete 5 years of continuous stay? I thought that dependent get visa & ILR if the primary person has got those.

naveediiqbal
Pakistan

Post by naveediiqbal » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:56 am

samiconcai wrote:Hi,

hope this helps
Hi,

Please beware as when in past I tried to ask the same question the rep from UK GOV helpline told me the dependent will only get what the main applicant gets. Like if main applicant need 3 years and dependent needs 3 years and 6 months for their ILR the max they will get is three years (what main applicant needs). as the above rule only covers the main applicant. Its good if some one senior can through some more light on this query.

Regards,

me786

Post by me786 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:22 am

Hi,

I am in a similar dilemma and my dependent wife is falling short of just a month to qualify for the ILR as I got my extension ( main applicant's postal application) in an unexpected 10 days time only . I am trying to get this confirmed with home office myself but have not been able to get hold of anyone on the phone. It will make sense to have something in writing from them so that it can be used in about 6 months time.

Please can someone suggest an email id that I can write to ?

iubus2005

Post by iubus2005 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:14 pm

following

samiconcai
Newly Registered

Post by samiconcai » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:07 pm

IndianConsult wrote:
samiconcai wrote:
Thanks for the information. I have a follow up but off topic question - Do dependent family members also need to complete 5 years of continuous stay? I thought that dependent get visa & ILR if the primary person has got those.
Yes - they will need to complete 5 years as well... for ILR.

me786

Post by me786 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:32 pm

On similar lines, I had a doubt whether the 90 days buffer that is given to the main applicants for any gap between visa start date and the actual travel date is applicable to the dependent's or not? So I wrote an email to UKVI and they have confirmed that similar rules apply to PBS dependent as well. Also they have confirmed that a dependent can not be given an extension beyond main applicant's visa validity to cover off any shortage of continuous stay.

Below is the excerpt from the email reply

"We would consider a dependant spouses application against the same broad principles as those applied to the PBS migrant. Given this we would calculate the five years from the date on which the entry clearance was valid from, providing this is not more than 90 days. As the fundamental requirement of obtaining dependant leave is that the person on who you are claiming dependency on has valid leave, it is not possible for us to grant beyond the period given to the PBS migrant, as there is no guarantee that you will continue to meet the requirements beyond the period given to you."

In summary, dependent's can also make use of the 90 days buffer for calculating the continuous stay beginning and can apply for an ILR 28 days before the end of qualifying period.