ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is a PGDM qualification good enough for Tier 1?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

pallavisriva
Newly Registered

Is a PGDM qualification good enough for Tier 1?

Post by pallavisriva » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:28 pm

I have completed my Post Graduate Diploma in Management from Goa Institute of Management, Goa in the year 2005, my college is listed among the top 20 B schools in India but they have not yet attained an equivalency to MBA level from AIU or AICTE, though they are accredited by AICTE. I got my certificates validated from NARIC and they have provided me a statement stating that my PGDM is equivalent to a diploma in UK. I need to know if i can apply for Tier 1 visa with a diploma certification? Please help as this is very urgent.

hsmp12345

Re: Is a PGDM qualification good enough for Tier 1?

Post by hsmp12345 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:35 pm

pallavisriva wrote:I have completed my Post Graduate Diploma in Management from Goa Institute of Management, Goa in the year 2005, my college is listed among the top 20 B schools in India but they have not yet attained an equivalency to MBA level from AIU or AICTE, though they are accredited by AICTE. I got my certificates validated from NARIC and they have provided me a statement stating that my PGDM is equivalent to a diploma in UK. I need to know if i can apply for Tier 1 visa with a diploma certification? Please help as this is very urgent.
Unfortunately, you will be unable to apply Tier1 with PG diploma.

To apply for Tier1 visa, master's degree (Equivalent to UK masters) is mandatory as per the current rules. In your case NARIC has provided statement stating that your PGDM is equivalent to a UK diploma; hence the problem.

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:55 pm

pallavisriva wrote:I have completed my Post Graduate Diploma in Management from Goa Institute of Management, Goa in the year 2005, my college is listed among the top 20 B schools in India but they have not yet attained an equivalency to MBA level from AIU or AICTE, though they are accredited by AICTE. I got my certificates validated from NARIC and they have provided me a statement stating that my PGDM is equivalent to a diploma in UK. I need to know if i can apply for Tier 1 visa with a diploma certification? Please help as this is very urgent.
You need degree which is equivalent to Masters Degree in UK, which is not in your case.

pallavisriva
Newly Registered

Post by pallavisriva » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:05 pm

is it advisable to get in touch with NARIC with a letter from my institute stating that my PGDM is equivalent to MBA in India, do you think they will issue an MBA equivalent certificate? Or is there any other way out or any other visa which allows me to work in UK?

nksg

Post by nksg » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:47 pm

Have you checked your qualification on UKBA points calculator??

pallavisriva
Newly Registered

Post by pallavisriva » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:14 pm

my college is not there in the UKBA list, i emailed NARIC the letter from my college stating that my PGDM is equivalent to MBA in India but they are still not ready to grant me a MBA certificate. They are asking me to apply for the visa along with the letter and then see. Any advises please?

nksg

Post by nksg » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:19 pm

Has NARIC actually issued you with a letter stating your "PGDM is equivalent to UK Masters?"

if not please do not take the risk of filing the application.. as the case worker wont give you any points considering the fact that your qualification does not exist on the UKBA points calculator.
pallavisriva wrote:my college is not there in the UKBA list, i emailed NARIC the letter from my college stating that my PGDM is equivalent to MBA in India but they are still not ready to grant me a MBA certificate. They are asking me to apply for the visa along with the letter and then see. Any advises please?

pallavisriva
Newly Registered

Post by pallavisriva » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks for the help, is there any other UK visa that i can apply for and then work in UK? or any other top up course that i can do for a short period of time and following that can work in UK?

push

Post by push » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:50 pm

pallavisriva wrote:Thanks for the help, is there any other UK visa that i can apply for and then work in UK? or any other top up course that i can do for a short period of time and following that can work in UK?
If you can get an employer to sponsor you for Tier(2) - Work Permit, you can come and work in UK.

One can work for limited no. of hours during term time when in UK on Student VISA- the category is a non-settlement one.

NARIC does not do equivalency checks on its own usually and relies on the equivalent counterpart in other countries (that does not seem to be the case with Pakistan though). In case of Management and Technical courses, such a body is AICTE in India. If your course is not accredited by AICTE and not recognized by AICTE as equivalent to Masters there does not seem to be anything that you can do about it.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

pallavisriva
Newly Registered

Post by pallavisriva » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:32 am

My course is accredited by AICTE but it has not been granted Equivalency and that too for no particular reason but because due to loads of paperwork my institute never bothered to apply for that. I can always produce a certificate of accredition but not of Equivalency and wont that help?

push

Post by push » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:24 pm

pallavisriva wrote:My course is accredited by AICTE but it has not been granted Equivalency and that too for no particular reason but because due to loads of paperwork my institute never bothered to apply for that. I can always produce a certificate of accredition but not of Equivalency and wont that help?
Nope. You do not interact with AICTE/UGC. It is the College which has to do it.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

hiteshdargan

Post by hiteshdargan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:38 pm

push wrote:
pallavisriva wrote:My course is accredited by AICTE but it has not been granted Equivalency and that too for no particular reason but because due to loads of paperwork my institute never bothered to apply for that. I can always produce a certificate of accredition but not of Equivalency and wont that help?
Nope. You do not interact with AICTE/UGC. It is the College which has to do it.

Hi

I have got my NARIC letter dated 30 september 2009, as per which my Post graduate diploma is equivalent to a British Masters Standard.

I have a couple of questions :

1) As per the self assessment form , Appendix 1 , question 3.2. I have three options
- Qualification on point based calculator
- Qualification not on point based calculator but a UK NARIC letter enclosed
- Qualifcation not on point based calculator, but a letter stating UK academic equivalance

Which option should i select? The qualification is there on the calculator but it gives 0 points for it, however NARIC confirms it to be a masters

2) The english langauage section gives 10 points for this qualification. So should I use it or should I use my B.COM ( Honours ) degree from delhi university

3) Do I also need to submit my bachelors degree or only the post graduate diploma. ( I am asking this as I have not yet collected my degree, i just have a provisional certificate)

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:10 pm

hiteshdargan wrote:
Hi

I have got my NARIC letter dated 30 september 2009, as per which my Post graduate diploma is equivalent to a British Masters Standard.

1) As per the self assessment form , Appendix 1 , question 3.2. I have three options
- Qualification not on point based calculator but a UK NARIC letter enclosed This one
- Qualifcation not on point based calculator, but a letter stating UK academic equivalance

Which option should i select? The qualification is there on the calculator but it gives 0 points for it, however NARIC confirms it to be a masters

2) The english langauage section gives 10 points for this qualification. So should I use it or should I use my B.COM ( Honours ) degree from delhi university. You can use anyone which gives you 10 points in PBS calculator, but I would go for the one, certified by NARIC.

3) Do I also need to submit my bachelors degree or only the post graduate diploma. ( I am asking this as I have not yet collected my degree, i just have a provisional certificate). You should submit only that education degree/transcript for which you are claiming points in education section.

hiteshdargan

Post by hiteshdargan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:20 am

mvent00 wrote:
hiteshdargan wrote:
Hi

- Qualification not on point based calculator but a UK NARIC letter enclosed This one

2) The english langauage section gives 10 points for this qualification. So should I use it or should I use my B.COM ( Honours ) degree from delhi university. You can use anyone which gives you 10 points in PBS calculator, but I would go for the one, certified by NARIC.

3) Do I also need to submit my bachelors degree or only the post graduate diploma. ( I am asking this as I have not yet collected my degree, i just have a provisional certificate). You should submit only that education degree/transcript for which you are claiming points in education section.
Hi

If there is something wrong with my paperwork will the VFS tell me about it at the time of submitting application, (by wrong i mean if there is a document short or something)

Does the home office call for any clarifications or do they simply reject, leaving administrative review as the only option

hiteshdargan

Post by hiteshdargan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:28 am

mvent00 wrote:
hiteshdargan wrote:
Hi

If i select option 2, do i need to explain in additional information that the qualification is there on PBS but is not being awarded points
- If i use this qualification for english language skills, then there is a conflict, because for educational qualification " i am saying that qualification is not on PBS" but for english skills i am using the qualification from PBS

pallavisriva
Newly Registered

Post by pallavisriva » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:12 am

Hi Hitesh,

Can you please tell me where did you do your PGDM from? Was your college listed on the AIU website or had it obtained equivalency already?

aaj123

Post by aaj123 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:55 am

hiteshdargan wrote:
If there is something wrong with my paperwork will the VFS tell me about it at the time of submitting application, (by wrong i mean if there is a document short or something)

Does the home office call for any clarifications or do they simply reject, leaving administrative review as the only option
In most cases, if there is a problem with the documents you submitted, the Home Officewill simply send a refusal letter and you would have to reapply with a fresh fee. So it really pays to get your application right the first time itself.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:41 am

hiteshdargan wrote:
mvent00 wrote:
hiteshdargan wrote:
Hi

If i select option 2, do i need to explain in additional information that the qualification is there on PBS but is not being awarded points

No need in additional information, you can write a few words in cover letter.

- If i use this qualification for english language skills, then there is a conflict, because for educational qualification " i am saying that qualification is not on PBS" but for english skills i am using the qualification from PBS
These are two completely different and separate issues, you cannot get any point with degree less than masters in education section, but you can get in English section. So, if PBS calculator awards you points for English, it is enough proof. As you have already got a letter from NARIC about your degree, I assume that in future updates of PBS calculator, you would also be able to earn points in education section. So, you can use this degree for both purposes.
1-Education (with reference to Letter from NARIC)
2-English (with reference to PBS calculator)
Hope that helps.

npanglia

Post by npanglia » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:36 am

Hi
Even I got my assessment for Symbiosis Pune as PG Diploma. Disheartening to hear that have qualfications after all hard work and competition doesnt pay off.
Any suggested actions besides appeal to NARIC?

[quote="pallavisriva"]I have completed my Post Graduate Diploma in Management from Goa Institute of Management, Goa in the year 2005, my college is listed among the top 20 B schools in India but they have not yet attained an equivalency to MBA level from AIU or AICTE, though they are accredited by AICTE. I got my certificates validated from NARIC and they have provided me a statement stating that my PGDM is equivalent to a diploma in UK. I need to know if i can apply for Tier 1 visa with a diploma certification? Please help as this is very urgent.[/quote]

npanglia

Post by npanglia » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:33 am

Please refer to this link to continue the discussion:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 440#298440

"Post 1 Apil,2009 since the minimum qualification to apply for Tier 1 general visa is Masters Degree.
As I check the band structure of NARIC, even British PG Diploma falls under Masters Level Band.
Ref: http://www.naric.org.uk/documents/code% ... dology.pdf

My question is that if British PG Diploma meets the criteria of Masters to qualify for General Tier 1 Visa.

When I went through HO website, they have mentioned that PG diploma for Tier1 (Post study work) is not eligible. However I dint see similar mention about Tier 1 (GENERAL)
Ref: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ea=Working
"

hsmpeligibility
Newly Registered

Qualification Assessment

Post by hsmpeligibility » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi ,

I did PGD-MISCA(Post graduation diploma in Management Information System in computer applications) from AICTE approved college,Osmania university.

The course duration was lessthan 2 yrs(3 semisters).Is this equal to UK Master degree?When i checked in points calculator it is showing me 0.

Please help.

npanglia

Post by npanglia » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:34 pm

I can tell you my evaluation
I have got my evaluation done.
Had PGDBM from symbiosis, pune. Full time 2 year course.
They have compared it equivalent to British Post Graduate Diploma standard.
Disheartening for me.

anandpathak

NARIC asseses post graduate diploma- points in Tier 1 G ??

Post by anandpathak » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:08 pm

Hi Gurus,
I need your help urgently on a unusual assesment done by NARIC .

My qualification details :
Post graduate Diploma in Industrail engineeting
Instute : National Institute of Industrial Engineering
Year of Award :2004.

Today i received a "Letter of comparability" from NARIC stating that my qualification assesment is "is considered comparable to British post graduate diploma standard" The letter was issues on 17th Dec 09.

The unusual part is my Classmate ( same instute, same year of passing ,same course) got the assesment as " is considered comparable to British taught Masters degree standard" .Letter issued of Feb 2009.

I am aware that according to the UK NARIC framework while my assesment falls under NARIC band 12 my classmate's assessment shows under NARIC band 13 and both of these according to FHEQ are Master's level. However my question is ; do all NARIC bands which fall under FHEQ Masters score same '35' points under PBS of Tier I general visa application for Masters Qualification

Please help me if there i anyway i can get this issue resolved.

Best Regards
Anand

vks

Re: NARIC asseses post graduate diploma- points in Tier 1 G

Post by vks » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:15 am

anandpathak wrote:Hi Gurus,
I need your help urgently on a unusual assesment done by NARIC .

My qualification details :
Post graduate Diploma in Industrail engineeting
Instute : National Institute of Industrial Engineering
Year of Award :2004.

Today i received a "Letter of comparability" from NARIC stating that my qualification assesment is "is considered comparable to British post graduate diploma standard" The letter was issues on 17th Dec 09.

The unusual part is my Classmate ( same instute, same year of passing ,same course) got the assesment as " is considered comparable to British taught Masters degree standard" .Letter issued of Feb 2009.

I am aware that according to the UK NARIC framework while my assesment falls under NARIC band 12 my classmate's assessment shows under NARIC band 13 and both of these according to FHEQ are Master's level. However my question is ; do all NARIC bands which fall under FHEQ Masters score same '35' points under PBS of Tier I general visa application for Masters Qualification

Please help me if there i anyway i can get this issue resolved.

Best Regards
Anand
Anand,

Why not keep your post separate and you have taken multiple posts to ask the same question?
Regards,
vks

anandpathak

Post by anandpathak » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:49 am

Dear VKS,

Sorry for th inconvinience cause to you and other Boarders.
When trying to go through the old discussions threads searching for a query/response similar to my query , I realized that there are multiple such topics and none of them end with a satisfying solution. Folks have asked for the answere few months back did not post how they got their issue resolved .

So i decided not to create one more new topic for this and thus was forced to post same query at multiple topic threads so that whose who are following the relevant threads get an intimation and i get a response.

Best Regards
Anand