ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in Glasgow

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cdraina

Life in Glasgow

Post by cdraina » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:18 pm

Hi All,

Need some help from experienced members.

I have a job offer from a UK Top 10 Bank. They have offered a base salary of GBP 34,000 in Glosgow (means will get GBP 2,000 per month). In addition to that I have been offered a joining bonus of 3,000 and one-way flight tickets. I have also been offered 4 weeks accomodation for the initial period. Also they mentioned about the year end bonus.

I would like folks in the UK to comment on the salary that I am being offered. Is it enough to take care of the expenses in Glasgow. I am married and will take my wife (not working) and new-born kid along with me. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Cheers!
CD

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Post by rajesh9pl » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:04 am

Hello there,

I have lived in UK for close to two years, but not in Glasgow. However, I can certainly reply to your email.

I have heard Glasgow is one of the main city in UK, a happening place indeed. I assume 1K or 1200 would be good enough for a couple to stay, I used to manage with my wife in GBP 2100.

I would recommend you to take up this offer as its not bad and will give you more opportunities in Glasgow later.

After tax GBP 2000 are fine a year to start your career there.

Cheers and good luck.
Rajesh.

vnvijay

Re: Life in Glasgow

Post by vnvijay » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:44 am

Hello CD,

Glasgow is a good place but not expensive as London. You need to plan your travel & stay, if these two are good you can be successful.

I would request you to check the offer letter given by the company, try to read & understand, there many tricky points which we will not be able to understand.

E.g. by reading your post I can see they are offering you an initial stay 4 weeks & air tickets. If you’re leaving the company before one year you should not re-fund these facilities.

One more question? Are you from Finance or IT background?

Regards,
VJ

cdraina wrote:Hi All,

I have a job offer from a UK Top 10 Bank. They have offered a base salary of GBP 34,000 in Glosgow (means will get GBP 2,000 per month). In addition to that I have been offered a joining bonus of 3,000 and one-way flight tickets. I have also been offered 4 weeks accomodation for the initial period. Also they mentioned about the year end bonus.

I would like folks in the UK to comment on the salary that I am being offered. Is it enough to take care of the expenses in Glasgow. I am married and will take my wife (not working) and new-born kid along with me. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Cheers!
CD

cdraina

Post by cdraina » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:51 am

Hi Vijay and Rajesh,

Thanks for the earnest reply.

I am into Risk Management (Finance). And the offer letter says that I should be returning GBP 3,000 in case I leave the company before 1 year. But as per you suggestion I will give a more detailed look at the offer letter.

Cheers!
CD

vnvijay

Post by vnvijay » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:04 am

Hello,

You did not mention this point in the first post. To be frank UK people are very very smart!!!!!!!!!!

Which country r u from? What is your qualification? Do you have HSMP with you or company is giving WP.

What you can do it, as your already have a offer with you. Try for some more job offers! If they are paying you higher just rejected this offer.

VJ
cdraina wrote:Hi Vijay and Rajesh,

Thanks for the earnest reply.

I am into Risk Management (Finance). And the offer letter says that I should be returning GBP 3,000 in case I leave the company before 1 year. But as per you suggestion I will give a more detailed look at the offer letter.

Cheers!
CD

cdraina

Post by cdraina » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:26 am

Hello Vijay,

I am from India. I am an MBA and a computer engineer and I hold an HSMP. The current average salary for my profile is around GBP 50,000.

Its not as easy to get a job being in India and my company is getting a relatively cheap resource. Well....its a win-win situation. So I don't mind.

If this money is ok to survive with my family, my plan is to join this company and then work upwards from there.

Cheers!
CD

aarti1280
Newly Registered

Post by aarti1280 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:31 am

Dear Cd,

how many years of experience do u hv..hv also sent u a pm for help, please reply..

Rgds,
Aarti

vnvijay

Post by vnvijay » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:37 am

Hi CD,

This seems to be a great idea!!!!!!!!!

Good luck & best wishes for your new journey to the life.

You have done your MBA, is it a full time or Part time? Which college ?

I am planning to do some course related to computer, what exactly is ur qualification in computer engineer.

R u from Bangalore?

VJ
cdraina wrote:Hello Vijay,

I am from India. I am an MBA and a computer engineer and I hold an HSMP. The current average salary for my profile is around GBP 50,000.

Its not as easy to get a job being in India and my company is getting a relatively cheap resource. Well....its a win-win situation. So I don't mind.

If this money is ok to survive with my family, my plan is to join this company and then work upwards from there.

Cheers!
CD

HSMP2008_JANUARY

Post by HSMP2008_JANUARY » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi CD,

Look for job near London because you will have more opportunities here compared go Glasgow. Even though cost of living in London is more you can change jobs when ever you want. Glasgow is not that bad place to live but weather is too bad (London). About the salary, even if you live near (around) London you can manage your family with in 2000. Only thing is that you may not save much.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:30 pm

cdraina, the weather in London is also not good now, so in glasgow will be worst mate. I have been to north many times and it rains and snows and is quite cold out there.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:09 pm

cdraina wrote:

Cheers!
CD
I dont know why you feel this money is less. Whatever average salary you have seen, definitely would have different parameters with it. Definitely, not for 4 years exp guy , without prior UK exp.

You should be happy that, you are getting initial expenses, and getting offer been in India.

And £34 k is not less amount, out side Lonond, and considering other benefits, its better.

All the best !

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Hmmm..I would like to say that if u r in finance domain ,50K is good.
I am not saying that dont take this offer as it will help u to settle in UK, take care of expenses etc..But certainly ,once u settle down , look for a change..

Ashish

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:18 pm

ashishashah wrote:Hmmm..I would like to say that if u r in finance domain ,50K is good.
This amount is definitely not for job out side london. And I dont thing, one will get it in London with 4 years of non UK exp.

Standard007
Newly Registered

Post by Standard007 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:13 pm

Hi CD...

Hope you are doing good in Scotland/Glasgow.

I know this is a very old post, but some relevant to my profile, I see that you are from Finance domain and working in bank.. I will be also in initial stages of interview for relocating to scotland/glasgow.. appreciate if we can be in touch.. i have few questions, but i am unable to direct message you.

would you be able to msg me ? if you cannot then i will also provide you my email id.

looking to hear from you.

Regards,

Cheers!
CD

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:58 pm

Standard007 wrote:Hi CD...

Hope you are doing good in Scotland/Glasgow.

I know this is a very old post, but some relevant to my profile, I see that you are from Finance domain and working in bank.. I will be also in initial stages of interview for relocating to scotland/glasgow.. appreciate if we can be in touch.. i have few questions, but i am unable to direct message you.

would you be able to msg me ? if you cannot then i will also provide you my email id.

looking to hear from you.

Regards,

Cheers!
CD
User cdraina last logged into the site in September 2008. I doubt you will get a response to your question.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:16 pm

Here's a video from the Scottish Tourist Board showing a wee bit o' Glasgae and Edinburgh life...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFubsxHTApw
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....