ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Previous earning (2000 pounds short)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

saleem_hu
Newly Registered

Previous earning (2000 pounds short)

Post by saleem_hu » Tue May 13, 2008 8:19 pm

I am working as a network engineer at a london based company and earning 18,000 pounds per annum.I have to extend my HSMP within 10 months time and my problem is that I have to show 20,000 pounds per annum in order to gain the required points for extension.My friend has given me an idea to become self employed and work part time in order to earn the remaining 2000 pounds.I can solve IT networking issues and fix pc hardware while working as a self employed person.Could you please guide me how I can become self employed or is there other way out?

GIMS

Post by GIMS » Wed May 14, 2008 2:24 am

The problem I see with self-employed or contracting is that it doesnt have guarantees i.e. ensurance of work throughout. I am studying for the CCIE at the moment and currently working in networks and linux as well.

Easiest and safest alternative I know is to get a part time job on the weekends and add those earnings to your present networking job. A 10 hour a week job at minimum wage should get you £2000 in 4 months.

midget
Newly Registered

Post by midget » Wed May 14, 2008 3:09 am

I think its odd to claim earnings from a part time unskilled job towards a highly skilled visa - if your job doesn't pay you enough to qualify than maybe you could try to get a different job, ask for a promotion or pay rise, or try to qualify on a different visa. HSMP is supposed to be for highly skilled migrants.

Personally I would try the self employed route - at least it is relevant to your career and could give you the experience to argue your case for either a new job or a promotion / pay rise.

saleem_hu
Newly Registered

Post by saleem_hu » Wed May 14, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks guys for you valuable suggestions,Unfortunately I think I dont have enough time to switch job as finding a new job isn't that easy,I know its sounds a bit odd doing an unskilled job on a skilled visa but I dont think there is any restriction on this by the Home office....any how what is the process involved to become self employed?Do I have to register some where?How I will show that I have earned money through working part time self employed as most of my clients would be giving me cash in hand I presume!

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Wed May 14, 2008 9:54 am

saleem_hu wrote:Thanks guys for you valuable suggestions,Unfortunately I think I dont have enough time to switch job as finding a new job isn't that easy,I know its sounds a bit odd doing an unskilled job on a skilled visa but I dont think there is any restriction on this by the Home office....any how what is the process involved to become self employed?Do I have to register some where?How I will show that I have earned money through working part time self employed as most of my clients would be giving me cash in hand I presume!
I dont see the work you want to do part time as unskilled.
If you don't show proof, then how can the HO objectively evaluate that you earned this money? You would have to invoice your clients and then deposit that in your bank account and show your bank statement to corroborate this is how you are handling it.
To do self employed, you also should inform the hmrc. The website is pretty good in explaining what your obligations are.
I agree keep your current job and start making supplemental income but meanwhile, I'd look for a better paying job so your activities are more straightforward.

saleem_hu
Newly Registered

Post by saleem_hu » Wed May 14, 2008 10:25 am

republique wrote:
saleem_hu wrote:Thanks guys for you valuable suggestions,Unfortunately I think I dont have enough time to switch job as finding a new job isn't that easy,I know its sounds a bit odd doing an unskilled job on a skilled visa but I dont think there is any restriction on this by the Home office....any how what is the process involved to become self employed?Do I have to register some where?How I will show that I have earned money through working part time self employed as most of my clients would be giving me cash in hand I presume!
I dont see the work you want to do part time as unskilled.
If you don't show proof, then how can the HO objectively evaluate that you earned this money? You would have to invoice your clients and then deposit that in your bank account and show your bank statement to corroborate this is how you are handling it.
To do self employed, you also should inform the hmrc. The website is pretty good in explaining what your obligations are.
I agree keep your current job and start making supplemental income but meanwhile, I'd look for a better paying job so your activities are more straightforward.
Thanks republique.....So at the time of extension what I should be sending to the HO? Can I send the bank statements and the invoices as the proof of income?

baskey

Re: Previous earning (2000 pounds short)

Post by baskey » Wed May 14, 2008 12:14 pm

saleem_hu wrote:I am working as a network engineer at a london based company and earning 18,000 pounds per annum.I have to extend my HSMP within 10 months time and my problem is that I have to show 20,000 pounds per annum in order to gain the required points for extension.My friend has given me an idea to become self employed and work part time in order to earn the remaining 2000 pounds.I can solve IT networking issues and fix pc hardware while working as a self employed person.Could you please guide me how I can become self employed or is there other way out?

Hi,

Try to convince your present employer to pay 2K more as an one of payment , like Bonus or you could trade off your annual holidays etc. Most of the employers are willing to do to retain a good employee. You need to act diplomatically with your employer. Just tell them , you have to earn min of 20 K to extend your visa and ask their suggestions. I am sure 2K is not a big deal for most of the employers. If not try to do part time job.

Going for self employed just to show 2K more is a painful process, it should be considered as last option...

Regards,

B

saleem_hu
Newly Registered

Post by saleem_hu » Wed May 14, 2008 1:45 pm

Thanks alot baskey!I will try to convince my employer....in the mean time any other ideas?

saleem_hu
Newly Registered

Post by saleem_hu » Fri May 16, 2008 7:14 am

Also wanted to ask if I get a bonus,would that be included in my previous earning? Can I get points for that?

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Fri May 16, 2008 8:14 am

midget wrote:I think its odd to claim earnings from a part time unskilled job towards a highly skilled visa - if your job doesn't pay you enough to qualify than maybe you could try to get a different job, ask for a promotion or pay rise, or try to qualify on a different visa. HSMP is supposed to be for highly skilled migrants.
Lots of the rules are inconsistent, or don't make sense, or seem contrary to logic. But we have to comply with them anyway. So if the rules are favourable for the OP, he should apply them in the way that benefits him.

If the HO doesn't intend for this result, they can change the rules, which they have done lots of times. The fact that they haven't changed this rule suggests they intend it to work the way it is written.

baskey

Post by baskey » Fri May 16, 2008 11:29 am

saleem_hu wrote:Also wanted to ask if I get a bonus,would that be included in my previous earning? Can I get points for that?
YES.

B

MissIntrigued
Newly Registered

Post by MissIntrigued » Thu May 29, 2008 3:55 pm

midget wrote:I think its odd to claim earnings from a part time unskilled job towards a highly skilled visa - if your job doesn't pay you enough to qualify than maybe you could try to get a different job, ask for a promotion or pay rise, or try to qualify on a different visa. HSMP is supposed to be for highly skilled migrants.

Personally I would try the self employed route - at least it is relevant to your career and could give you the experience to argue your case for either a new job or a promotion / pay rise.
No offense, but this bothered me. Just because someone does not have enough earnings (and I mean are close like the poster, only 2K short, not someone who earns 10K less than the cut off), but just because someone falls a little short doesnt mean they should be denied the opportunity to come to the country on a visa, or in this person's case, to REMAIN, even moreso!

Who cares if it "sounds odd"? The rules say the income earnings could be from multiple jobs, and that the jobs can be part time , full time, temporary, etc.

I happen to be a very intelligent, highly educated, skilled woman, but I chose a career that involves social services and helping people, which generally doesn't pay a hell of a lot. So I took a part time job that wasn't in tune with my general area to add to my income. I think the income is supposed to reflect that you are motivated and a hard worker-- not that you decide to take a job in banking because it pays alot of money.

To say that people who work in jobs like social work, who are often very intelligent and skilled people, but are sadly underpayed, do not deserve to come because of their salary is idiotic. If the original poster gets that extra 2K from a menial part time job over 4 months, so be it, it lets her continue her life where she has been living.

To say you can just "find anothr job or ask for a raise" is equally stupid. It is not always easy to just find a new job with a higher salary or request a raise and get it. if it was that easy everyone would have no issues with their salaries, now would they.

honestly, think before you speak. highly insulting.

push

Post by push » Thu May 29, 2008 8:14 pm

No offense, but this bothered me. Just because someone does not have enough earnings (and I mean are close like the poster, only 2K short, not someone who earns 10K less than the cut off), but just because someone falls a little short doesnt mean they should be denied the opportunity to come to the country on a visa, or in this person's case, to REMAIN, even moreso!

I happen to be a very intelligent, highly educated, skilled woman, but I chose a career that involves social services and helping people, which generally doesn't pay a hell of a lot. So I took a part time job that wasn't in tune with my general area to add to my income. I think the income is supposed to reflect that you are motivated and a hard worker-- not that you decide to take a job in banking because it pays alot of money.

To say that people who work in jobs like social work, who are often very intelligent and skilled people, but are sadly underpayed, do not deserve to come because of their salary is idiotic. If the original poster gets that extra 2K from a menial part time job over 4 months, so be it, it lets her continue her life where she has been living.
Nobody said that if you earn less or are not working in banking you are not highly skilled and are not entitled to come to/remain in UK - Just that they might need to consider other VISA category. Otherwise how do you set the qualifying parameters for any VISA category and mind you, even the HSMP/Tier I has a band of salary not just a single cut off point. If HO decides to give relaxation in such borderline cases, who will decide how wide that borderline would be - as in is a relaxation of the order of 2K is fair or 5k for that matter?

With regards to the alleged "unfortunate situation" in which people working in community service etc. dont get paid as much as the bankers do, I would say its a simple reflection of demand and supply as well as personal tradeoffs. People in banking age much more faster than their counterparts working in other sectors who seem to get part of their remuneration in kind (read job/mental satisfaction/work-life balance).

If you challenge the salary criteria then why not the Age criteria? Would you support the perceived notion that people in 31+ age group are not highly skilled or do not deserve to enter the country under this category? Clearly, there needs be a filter which HO can apply uniformly against measurable attributes like salary and age etc.

I dont feel that the guy was disrespectful to the original poster. He was simply making some suggestions -
- if your job doesn't pay you enough to qualify than maybe you could try to get a different job, ask for a promotion or pay rise, or try to qualify on a different visa. HSMP is supposed to be for highly skilled migrants.
regards,

push_hsmp

midget
Newly Registered

Post by midget » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:15 am

To say you can just "find anothr job or ask for a raise" is equally stupid. It is not always easy to just find a new job with a higher salary or request a raise and get it. if it was that easy everyone would have no issues with their salaries, now would they.

honestly, think before you speak. highly insulting.
My intention was not to be insulting, and I don't think it is a stupid suggestion to find another job or ask for a payrise. I wasn't suggesting the OP ask for a payrise with no justification - quite rightly no employer would support that - but if they feel they have the skills to earn more, perhaps they have demonstrated those skills in their current job but their employer hasn't noticed. Hence if the OP was to go to their employer and logically state their case, they may get a payrise. Worth a shot before giving up your own time to work a second job, right ? And yes, I think if you are highly skilled, you should be prepared to move jobs altogether if you genuinely think you are being underpaid for the work you are doing. Yes, it can be difficult due to personal circumstances, but that is life.

Personally, I see discrepancies in the income levels HO deems to be valid for the HSMP anyway. If you live in a country with a better exchange rate to the pound you get an advantage ;) Doesn't mean you are more highly skilled than someone from a different country - the point is HO draws a line and says if you are highly skilled, you should expect to earn x.

If you don't earn that much, don't expect HO to change the rules for you - take some initiative and upskill yourself, go for that pay rise / promotion / other job, start your own business, whatever it takes... or look at another visa category. No personal risk, no personal gain.

whitney
Newly Registered

Post by whitney » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:21 pm

I am in a very very similar situation! I'm currently working on the International Graduate Scheme Visa, and was originally hired in January on £18k per annum. After my three month review I got a raise to £20k, which should make me qualify (previously I was at 70 points and the pay raise bumped me up 5 more points to the required 75), the only trouble is that when I go to apply for Tier 1 in December, I will only have been on this salary for 6 months rather than an entire calendar year :o( I'm thinking there must be a way around this, as I have a job and an MA from a UK University. Also I keep seeing that you can receive additional points for wages earned in the UK--can these be counted in addition to the extra points you get for having earned a degree in the UK if you are applying for the Tier 1/HSMP for the first time? If so that should solve the problem of the disputed 5 points. If someone could help me out I would tremendously appreciate it--I called an immigration agency and spoke to a consultant who was VERY unhelpful, so I'm hoping some feedback form people who have applied previously will provide better insights. Thanks!

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:21 pm

whitney wrote: Also I keep seeing that you can receive additional points for wages earned in the UK--can these be counted in addition to the extra points you get for having earned a degree in the UK if you are applying for the Tier 1/HSMP for the first time? If so that should solve the problem of the disputed 5 points.
It's 5 points total for UK experience - either for having worked in UK or studied in UK. You might have done both, but the cap stays at 5.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: Previous earning (2000 pounds short)

Post by pantaiema » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:33 pm

saleem_hu

I am sorry to hear about your case. What I have seen the job you are describing is that is not in the list of shortage occupation list, so I will not surprise you fall into that bracket. See the following link,

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... gelist.pdf

But what really surprises me is that quite reasonable number of people (a lot I could say) in this forum claim to get over £40,000 per annum doing the same job with you.

Am I missing something here? Or is that the above figure (£40,000) is for contracting job? If for contracting job £40,000 per annum will not surprise anyone.

I know that in HSMP/Tier a lot of people working in IT sector, if a lot of people earn £40,000 per annum, why there are quite reasonable number of people can not qualify for tier 1?

Which statement is accurate? :roll: :roll:
saleem_hu wrote:I am working as a network engineer at a london based company and earning 18,000 pounds per annum.I have to extend my HSMP within 10 months time and my problem is that I have to show 20,000 pounds per annum in order to gain the required points for extension.My friend has given me an idea to become self employed and work part time in order to earn the remaining 2000 pounds.I can solve IT networking issues and fix pc hardware while working as a self employed person.Could you please guide me how I can become self employed or is there other way out?
Pantaiema

push

Post by push » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:43 pm

whitney wrote:I am in a very very similar situation! I'm currently working on the International Graduate Scheme Visa, and was originally hired in January on £18k per annum. After my three month review I got a raise to £20k, which should make me qualify (previously I was at 70 points and the pay raise bumped me up 5 more points to the required 75), the only trouble is that when I go to apply for Tier 1 in December, I will only have been on this salary for 6 months rather than an entire calendar year :o( I'm thinking there must be a way around this, as I have a job and an MA from a UK University. Also I keep seeing that you can receive additional points for wages earned in the UK--can these be counted in addition to the extra points you get for having earned a degree in the UK if you are applying for the Tier 1/HSMP for the first time? If so that should solve the problem of the disputed 5 points. If someone could help me out I would tremendously appreciate it--I called an immigration agency and spoke to a consultant who was VERY unhelpful, so I'm hoping some feedback form people who have applied previously will provide better insights. Thanks!
You cant claim the points twice. What was your salary in 3 months immediately before you started your studies?