ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Last name changed before ILR

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nitint1

Spouse Last name changed before ILR

Post by nitint1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Hi
My ILR appointment is on 6th, and recently I and my wife both had to renew our Indian passport, that lead my wife's last name to change, to be same as mine. Now all her documents are same except the name on her new passport. Which name should I print in the Set(O) form, new or old, her bank statements, BRP etc are all with old name.

thanks
Nitin

noajthan

Re: Spouse Last name changed before ILR

Post by noajthan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:16 pm

nitint1 wrote:Hi
My ILR appointment is on 6th, and recently I and my wife both had to renew our Indian passport, that lead my wife's last name to change, to be same as mine. Now all her documents are same except the name on her new passport. Which name should I print in the Set(O) form, new or old, her bank statements, BRP etc are all with old name.

thanks
Nitin
Use the name your wife intends to use in her daily life.

Note
ordinarily, change of name to be notified to UK authorities with 3 months of change so that BRP can be updated.
https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances ... have-a-brp
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

nitint1

Post by nitint1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:14 pm

noajthan wrote:
Use the name your wife intends to use in her daily life.

Note
ordinarily, change of name to be notified to UK authorities with 3 months of change so that BRP can be updated.
https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances ... have-a-brp
Thanks noajthan. Appreciate it.
Her passport/name changed in last 1 month, so we're still within 3 months time. If we use the intended name then all the documents will be against old name hence contradicting. Her name is now "first name" "maiden name" "my last name", so 3 bits of the name, so I'm assuming it's best to use this name, since her Indian passport has it, and it also contains the existing name to avoid confusion.
Ideally we wouldn't want the middle name.
Please suggest if that could be an issue...

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:39 pm

nitint1 wrote:Thanks noajthan. Appreciate it.
Her passport/name changed in last 1 month, so we're still within 3 months time. If we use the intended name then all the documents will be against old name hence contradicting. Her name is now "first name" "maiden name" "my last name", so 3 bits of the name, so I'm assuming it's best to use this name, since her Indian passport has it, and it also contains the existing name to avoid confusion.
Ideally we wouldn't want the middle name.
Please suggest if that could be an issue...
It is not unheard of for married women to change their names.
UKVI/HO should be able to handle that.

As long as you can explain the name change with supporting evidence such as some legal document (analogous to a UK deed poll or similar) &/or marriage certificate there should be no issue.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.