ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax issue ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

muraxza
BANNED

Tax issue ILR

Post by muraxza » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:43 am

Hi folks

After reading whole thread i want to ask a question here

On my initial application i had shown 28000 from self employed and 10k from employment but when i filled my returns i had shown 22k on self employed and 14k on salary which makes some where 36k i had to changed this cause while my accoutant had made a mistake and he didn't showed HO my salary income cause i didn't had any payslips just had p45 frm the company, do you think i should ammend my five years old returns??
Blocked Username

askhan

Re: Tax issue ILR

Post by askhan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:40 am

HI Mate,

This sound bit tricky.

1. The amount you claimed in Initial application 38K and and Declare later to HO is 36K

2. As you declared 28K to HO, Logically you have to pay the tax on 28K, you cannot later add more from employment and deduct from Self employment.

I know you mentioned a mistake and I believe so .. but this is now very shabby and happening quite often to put the blame on Accountant.

I would suggest you to get this sorted, its just an honest advise.

THanks
Ak
Kind Regard,
A.Khan
-------------------------

muraxza
BANNED

Post by muraxza » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:48 am

Hi thanks can i ammend me 5 years old return now?
Blocked Username

askhan

Post by askhan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:09 am

Blocked Username wrote:Hi thanks can i ammend me 5 years old return now?

Yes you can, You need to call HM rev, and inform them you noticed and accounting error, which you want to correct.
You need to mention the right tax year and they will ask you detail in written which you have to post.

Once that received, the tax return will be available for amendments.

You can then ask your accountant to amend the change and submit the right amount.

Once submitted a new tax figure will be appear, which won't be much may be few hundreds or max 1K in the account you can pay via installment plan or pay once at all.

this process should take around 1 working month to put you on track 20+ working day./

Do you have enough time ?
Kind Regard,
A.Khan

muraxza
BANNED

Post by muraxza » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:19 am

Yes i have almost an year my ilr will be due in 2016 june but i don't want any hassel at that time and want to sort this ASAP...
Blocked Username

Nabcan
Newly Registered

Post by Nabcan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:59 am

Hi,
Going through the following HMRC link, looks like we can only amend tax returns for the past 4 years.

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax- ... orrections

If you missed the deadline for sending corrections
If you didn’t send your corrections within 12 months of the original deadline, write to HMRC within 4 years of the end of the tax year you’re correcting.

Include in your letter:

why you think you’ve overpaid
the tax year you’re correcting
proof you paid the tax in that year
how you want the refund

Cheers,
Nab

askhan

Post by askhan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:23 am

Hi Nab,
If you contact them and tell them the mistake is been done by you and you would like to fix, they will allow you return . Its not 5 years yet any way for OP

he got visa till 2016 which mean the earliest he got the visa was in 2011

so

2010-2011 1 year
2011-2012 2 year
2012-2013 3 year
2013-2014 4 year

He is good to get this amended any way.
Kind Regard,
A.Khan

muraxza
BANNED

Post by muraxza » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:39 am

This means i can't correct now as this is running 2015 /16 and i want to correct 2010 /11 returns.. Am i right??
Blocked Username

Nabcan
Newly Registered

Post by Nabcan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:50 am

Hi Blocked Username,
I am not sure as i have quoted what is mentioned on the HMRC website. I think its best if you can give HMRC a call (As suggested by Askhan) and share the outcome with others as a guideline.

askhan

Post by askhan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:51 am

Blocked Username wrote:This means i can't correct now as this is running 2015 /16 and i want to correct 2010 /11 returns.. Am i right??

My Friend,

You need to learn how tax system works in UK.

You are in 2014/2015 Not in 2015-2016

Tax return for this year will either need to go in October if you are doing manual .. or in January 2016 if online.

So you are in good shape to apply for amedments
Kind Regard,
A.Khan

muraxza
BANNED

Post by muraxza » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks khan for your reply one thing i need to ask do i need to show 35k for all 5 years cause i didn't made 35k and have to pay tax on that i work as a contractor so usually dont work whole year..
Blocked Username

askhan

Post by askhan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:43 pm

You need to Amend the return of the year you claimed.

Thanks
A
Kind Regard,
A.Khan

muraxza
BANNED

Post by muraxza » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:37 pm

Spoke to the hmrc they said it takes 13 weeks to process your accounts after receiving..
Blocked Username

muraxza
BANNED

Post by muraxza » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Personally i haven't came accross any ILR refused on the basis of less tax paid because tax matters are entirety different and the two cases which recently reported on this board are completely different because one hasn't pay a single penny on 33k even there is no record in hmrc and other guy case refused cause of false payslips..and this second went for the 2nd extension not for ILR so this means they already had this in there system about his earnings..
Blocked Username

Nabcan
Newly Registered

Post by Nabcan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:15 am

Hi Blocked Username,
I second you on your previous comments. The two cases being referred are extremes and cant go un-noticed by UKBA. The thing which i am also confused is how UKBA can verify your declared income with HMRC if your visa period (12 months) and Tax period (6th April XXXX- 5th April Next year) are different.
I can put an example of a contractor (Salary + Dividend). If he got his visa on the basis of income 1st October 2011-30th Sept 2012 showing a salary of 12K+38K Dividend (50K total). Now this will overlap into his two tax years 2011/2012 & 2012/2013. Chances are quite high that he has drawn dividend between 6April 2011 & 30 September 2011 and then 1st October 2012 and 5th April 2013 which are out of his period being used for Visa purpose i.e. 1st October 2011-30th Sept 2012 but will appear in his tax returns for tax years 2011/2012 & 2012/2013.
Unless the Contractor after getting the Visa don't declare any Dividend/income (as the other gentleman has done), and the sum of the Dividends for both the tax years is considerably higher than the £38K Dividend (shown for visa), it will be really difficult for UKBA to verify that. Hence, to me tracing these minor differences of 3-4K will be really hard for UKBA. Yes, if the sum of the Dividends for both the tax years is less than £38K or very near to that, then he will be in trouble.
Any comments seniors!

muraxza
BANNED

Post by muraxza » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi Nabcan

Are you also in the same situation as me?
Blocked Username

Fair720
Newly Registered

Post by Fair720 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi Nabcan,

If self employed income falls in 2 tax years & tax amount which was declared to home office at the time of visa, does it have to be paid in full ? If someone have allowable expenses out of those 12 months income claimed with home office then the tax liability reduced in that case .. Does anyone have ILR refused on that basis ? As you have mentioned it is difficult for home office to prove that ...
What will be the implications of this when applying naturalisation ?
Any thoughts guys ?

suryach
Newly Registered

Post by suryach » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:10 pm

Hello ,
friends, can anybody advise , what exactly HO looking regarding tax issue ,ex : i need to earn 40k to meet the requirements, so i shows as a self employed person i earned 40k , they are expecting to pay tax on hole 40k , or after calming the expanses u only pay for the amount what really is profit .

please advise me friends, i got only few week to go for my ILR

muraxza
BANNED

Post by muraxza » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:08 pm

suryach wrote:Hello ,
friends, can anybody advise , what exactly HO looking regarding tax issue ,ex : i need to earn 40k to meet the requirements, so i shows as a self employed person i earned 40k , they are expecting to pay tax on hole 40k , or after calming the expanses u only pay for the amount what really is profit .

please advise me friends, i got only few week to go for my ILR
yes you will have to pay tax on your net profit, if your threshold is 40k then you have to pay tax on 40k

regards

nurulkarim13
Newly Registered

Post by nurulkarim13 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:54 pm

Hi guys,

I have a confusion, if someone can help me on this.

My ILR is due in next year june and I want to travel to back home for Dec-2015 & Jan-2016. Would it be a problem at airport that i have only 6 months leave to remain when i return from back home ??

hsyasin

Post by hsyasin » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:13 am

nurulkarim13 wrote:Hi guys,

I have a confusion, if someone can help me on this.

My ILR is due in next year june and I want to travel to back home for Dec-2015 & Jan-2016. Would it be a problem at airport that i have only 6 months leave to remain when i return from back home ??
Apparantly not, I've asked similar question a while back, as I'm intending of going end of Nov to mid Dec.
As long as your taxes are sorted for when you got T1 visa and when u got the extension, you won't have any problems while coming back.

nurulkarim13
Newly Registered

Post by nurulkarim13 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:01 am

thnx bro,,,

ahj
Newly Registered

Post by ahj » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:29 pm

@ Blocked Username,

please can you share if you have amended your tax return for 2010-11. if so, how long it took for hmrc to amend your tax return for the year? did u receive any document from hmrc regarding updating your tax return for 2010-11?

I would really appreciate if you can share, as I am sure it will help a lot of members here.

Thx.

alibaba16
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by alibaba16 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:01 pm

Fair720 wrote:Hi Nabcan,

If self employed income falls in 2 tax years & tax amount which was declared to home office at the time of visa, does it have to be paid in full ? If someone have allowable expenses out of those 12 months income claimed with home office then the tax liability reduced in that case .. Does anyone have ILR refused on that basis ? As you have mentioned it is difficult for home office to prove that ...
Any thoughts guys ?

Any answer for above?

muraxza
BANNED

Post by muraxza » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:06 am

alibaba16 wrote:
Fair720 wrote:Hi Nabcan,

Any thoughts guys ?

Any answer for above?
Well I would suggest you better sort this, HO will not consider this.. from their point of view it is clearly deception now a days no matter even if you are even technically right. I understand being an accountant this but the case workers are just a GCSE pass people so they wont..
Blocked Username