ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 General - 3rd Extension?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

OrangeCounty
Newly Registered

Tier 1 General - 3rd Extension?

Post by OrangeCounty » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:42 pm

Hi experts,

With the deadline coming soon for the Tier 1 general extensions, I am tempted to go for a 3rd extension.

First visa: 16 June 2011- 16 June 2013
Second visa: 13 May 2013 - 16 June 2016

Between the first date and the last expiry, I will have 5 years.

But that's without any buffer. I like to play it safe and won't mind paying. Do you think it's worth getting an extension anyway to give more time just in case and still apply for IRL in 2016?

Or is that a bit dumb?

askhan

Re: Tier 1 General - 3rd Extension?

Post by askhan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:13 am

Hi mate..

Being cautious is good .. but over cautious isn't :)

You have exact five years on T1 G. but you can apply for ILR 28 days prior to your leave expiry taking that in mind you fulfill the requirements and satisfy the points.

You do have 28 days buffer, but if you need more its totally up to you.

Thanks
A
Kind Regard,
A.Khan
-------------------------

askhan

Post by askhan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:16 am

Hi mate..

Being cautious is good .. but over cautious isn't :)

You have exact five years on T1 G. but you can apply for ILR 28 days prior to your leave expiry taking that in mind you fulfill the requirements and satisfy the points.

You do have 28 days buffer, but if you need more its totally up to you.

Thanks
A
Kind Regard,
A.Khan
-------------------------

iubus2005

Post by iubus2005 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:55 pm

I don't think it is dumb at all. Do a give (a couple grand in fees) versus get (peace of mind) analysis. If you can afford it without impacting your life significantly, you should do it.

Remember 28 days buffer earlier was ok, since you had a chance to always renew it, if ILR was not available. (i.e. you always had unlimited buffer). Under new rules, there is no more renewal. Having buffer is a great peace of mind, and may be worth it, depending on your financial situation. (The threshold for ILR are higher.. what if you need an extra year or something changes?).

I am about to do the same. However, I am only doing it for myself -- not my dependents -- since dependents still can keep renewing after April 2015.

bond.boy203

Post by bond.boy203 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:41 pm

I second that its not dumb at all. I was also in the same boat and got my extension done recently for 3 years. It also adds value if you are on free lancing because clients do look at your visa validity before the contract extensions. If you can afford it why not.

OrangeCounty
Newly Registered

Post by OrangeCounty » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:19 am

Thank you everyone for replying.

Yes I want to do it for the peace of mind. I have spoken to my solicitor and he said I should be fine to just do the ILR next year instead of extending this year.

You mentioned that the threshold for ILR is higher. What does that mean? ILR is still point based with 80 points required, right?

If the requirements for ILR were to change between now and 2016, am I still bound by the rules set in 2011 or the new rules?

Thanks!!

iubus2005

Post by iubus2005 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:16 pm

What I mean by higher threshold is the threshold for other things -- e.g. a driving offense etc. I hope that nothing untoward happens. However, extra time gives you buffer and chances to get any such thing become "spent"!