ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 General to ILR

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mmog001
Newly Registered

Tier 1 General to ILR

Post by mmog001 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:59 am

Hi
I am going for my appointment to convert my Tier 1 General to my ILR in a few weeks and I have a few questions.
Let me give you a brief background
In Sept I finish 5 years under my Tier 1 Visa
I have spent a total of 140 days outside the country in the last 5 years and so have never exceeded the 180 days rule
I am a director of a company and pay myself a salary and dividends

Below is my self assessment summary
Attributes
Age 0
Qualifications 35
Earnings 45
UK experience 5
Total (75 points required) 85
English language
English language 10
Total (10 points required) 10
Maintenance
Maintenance (funds) 10
Total (10 points required) 10

Questions
If I have only been out of the country for 140 days in total over the 5 years, do I still need to provide evidence? The 140 days were all holidays and did not include any travel for work. The guidance is confusing as it does not mention that you don't need to provide evidence if you have been out of the country for less than 180 days.

In the points based calculator and in the SET(O) form am I meant to enter my gross earnings (gross salary + gross dividend) or net earnings (net salary + net dividend)?

For the maintenance of funds (£945) for a 90 consecutive day period, do I need to statements for 90 days upto the date of the appointment? My appointment is on 25 Aug so would statements from 1 May to 31 July suffice?

To prove previous earnings I am planning on providing the following? Am I missing anything?
Letter from Accountant (on letterhead) detailing profit for the year, salary and dividends
Original Personal and Business Bank Statements showing payment
Accounts for the year (stamped)prepared by my accountant
Paysips
Dividend Vouchers
Invoices
Invoice Summary for the year including the dates payment was made cross references to my Business Bank Statements

Not sure which photocopies I need to provide as per guidance. Plan is to photocopy everything to make it easy for the person behind the counter

On page 65 of 75 of SET (O) Version 07/14, there is a box that they require ticking that confused me. It suggests that I need to show documentation to prove that before I was granted leave as Tier 1 (General) migrant, I met the relevant requirements of the immigration rules. So are we saying that I need to show documents of my first Tier 1 Application.

11L Tier 1 (General) migrant

For the period before you were granted leave as a Tier 1 (General) migrant, documents showing that you met the relevant requirements of the immigration rules.

Cheers
MM

The

Aletski
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 1 General to ILR

Post by Aletski » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi I just finished my application today using premium service in croydon. I thought to share the experience as I used this site quite heavily in preparation. My turn to return the favor.

My Situation:
I'm been in tier 1 general since June 2009, got extended for 2yrs in oct 2012 (severely delayed because of chaos of Olympics. I applied by post, they held my passport for 6 months!) and now finally am eligible for ilr.
I am a contractor with my own limited company since may 2012 and paying myself salary and dividends. I had a total of 205 days absence within the 5 years but never more than 180 within a span of a year. A mishmash of business, vacation and bereavement absences.

My documents:
1.) life in uk certificate
2.) a new gece english language certificate
I still had my old ielts cert from the first tier 1 gen application but couldn't quite find the documents online that specifically states that I can still use it even if expired. So I thought to just get a new certificate than risk it. You can get the gece certificate in trinity college london. No written exams, you just have to speak to someone about a topic of your choice and that person will assess your level. You'll get the cert within 5 days.
3.) personal bank statements
4.) business bank statements
5.) letter from accountant (accountant had to be certified as specified in ukba site)
6.) dividend vouchers that I signed.
7.) current and old passports
8.) biometric card (got this during the 2012 tier 1 gen renewal)
9.) 2 passport size photo with ur name at back (croydon has a photo booth if you forget this)

I had an arsenal of other documents (certificate of incorporation, vat registration, corporate tax, p60s and p45s etc) but I didn't include them when I handed my application as I didn't think it was relevant. Just in case it was asked or if I needed them to defend myself. I also brought printed copy of the guidelines and the directorate 6a, again just in case .

The day of application:
My appointment was @9am. Got to croydon office by 8:30.
1.) Step 1. Security checks. Typical airport like checks.
2.) Step 2. Reception desk. At this point they will briefly check the below items to make sure you have the basics.
-appointment ref number,
-your payment letter (if u paid online when booking appointment).
-you passports
-biometric card
-your application form
They will give you your number that they use to call u to any counter. You will also pay at this point if u haven't paid online.
3.) Step 3. Inputting your application into their system.
You'll wait at the cafe until they call ur number (they also have tv screens with the status of each number application)
You'll be called to a counter where they will log ur application into their system. They ask for the same thing that step 2 asked for.
Then they'll tell u to put all your supporting docs into a plastic envelope. They'll eventually put your form and passport and everything else in the same envelope and send you over to step 4.
They didn't ask any questions at this point, just basically someone typing your details in.
4.) Step 4. Biometrics.
Fingerprinting and photo and signature.
They will then retrieve from you the plastic envelope that holds your application, passport, and all your documents.
I was told that a case worker will look over my application. I was told that if I wanted to go to the nearby mall because it will take an hour or so or wait at the cafe. I decided against going outside to the mall just in case I was called early to explain some stuff in my application.
5.) Step 5. They will call ur number again. Successful ILR application. Collect your documents at a counter. You new biometric card will arrive via post in 7 days.
NOTE: I never actually have to face or talk to the case worker. I asked one of the guides who directs people where to go, he told me 9 out of 10 applications are smooth and doesn't involve having to be called by your caseworker. No one has ever mentioned this in this forum or I just haven't stumbled on their entries. Just wanted to let people know. The process is very smooth considering I went in there prepared for battle.

kayess1984

Post by kayess1984 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:46 pm

Aletski wrote:Hi I just finished my application today using premium service in croydon. I thought to share the experience as I used this site quite heavily in preparation. My turn to return the favor.

My Situation:
I'm been in tier 1 general since June 2009, got extended for 2yrs in oct 2012 (severely delayed because of chaos of Olympics. I applied by post, they held my passport for 6 months!) and now finally am eligible for ilr.
I am a contractor with my own limited company since may 2012 and paying myself salary and dividends. I had a total of 205 days absence within the 5 years but never more than 180 within a span of a year. A mishmash of business, vacation and bereavement absences.

My documents:
1.) life in uk certificate
2.) a new gece english language certificate
I still had my old ielts cert from the first tier 1 gen application but couldn't quite find the documents online that specifically states that I can still use it even if expired. So I thought to just get a new certificate than risk it. You can get the gece certificate in trinity college london. No written exams, you just have to speak to someone about a topic of your choice and that person will assess your level. You'll get the cert within 5 days.
3.) personal bank statements
4.) business bank statements
5.) letter from accountant (accountant had to be certified as specified in ukba site)
6.) dividend vouchers that I signed.
7.) current and old passports
8.) biometric card (got this during the 2012 tier 1 gen renewal)
9.) 2 passport size photo with ur name at back (croydon has a photo booth if you forget this)

I had an arsenal of other documents (certificate of incorporation, vat registration, corporate tax, p60s and p45s etc) but I didn't include them when I handed my application as I didn't think it was relevant. Just in case it was asked or if I needed them to defend myself. I also brought printed copy of the guidelines and the directorate 6a, again just in case .

The day of application:
My appointment was @9am. Got to croydon office by 8:30.
1.) Step 1. Security checks. Typical airport like checks.
2.) Step 2. Reception desk. At this point they will briefly check the below items to make sure you have the basics.
-appointment ref number,
-your payment letter (if u paid online when booking appointment).
-you passports
-biometric card
-your application form
They will give you your number that they use to call u to any counter. You will also pay at this point if u haven't paid online.
3.) Step 3. Inputting your application into their system.
You'll wait at the cafe until they call ur number (they also have tv screens with the status of each number application)
You'll be called to a counter where they will log ur application into their system. They ask for the same thing that step 2 asked for.
Then they'll tell u to put all your supporting docs into a plastic envelope. They'll eventually put your form and passport and everything else in the same envelope and send you over to step 4.
They didn't ask any questions at this point, just basically someone typing your details in.
4.) Step 4. Biometrics.
Fingerprinting and photo and signature.
They will then retrieve from you the plastic envelope that holds your application, passport, and all your documents.
I was told that a case worker will look over my application. I was told that if I wanted to go to the nearby mall because it will take an hour or so or wait at the cafe. I decided against going outside to the mall just in case I was called early to explain some stuff in my application.
5.) Step 5. They will call ur number again. Successful ILR application. Collect your documents at a counter. You new biometric card will arrive via post in 7 days.
NOTE: I never actually have to face or talk to the case worker. I asked one of the guides who directs people where to go, he told me 9 out of 10 applications are smooth and doesn't involve having to be called by your caseworker. No one has ever mentioned this in this forum or I just haven't stumbled on their entries. Just wanted to let people know. The process is very smooth considering I went in there prepared for battle.
Congrats mate and thanks for sharing your experience!
If you don't build your dream, someone else will hire you to build theirs!

sam74u
Newly Registered

Post by sam74u » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you present personal and business bank statements for the year preceding your application or for the whole 5 years?
What was the content of the letter from the accountant?
Could you present only 2 types of documents? e.g. personal bank statements and dividend vouchers?
Did you have to prove anything about your economic activity during the 5 years?
Your reply will save my life.

sam74u
Newly Registered

Post by sam74u » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you present personal and business bank statements for the year preceding your application or for the whole 5 years?
Could you present only 2 types of documents? e.g. personal bank statements and dividend vouchers?

mkraja

Post by mkraja » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:47 pm

hi, thanks for sharing this

What evidence did you provide to explain reasons of your 205 days of absences?

Aletski
Newly Registered

Post by Aletski » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:36 pm

I didn't provide any evidence as none is necessary. The 205 days absence was within 5 years. The rule is you should not have more than 180 day absence within ANY 12 month period within the 5 years. So my 205 days absence was spread out within the 5 years so that I never exceeding 180 days within a year.
mkraja wrote:hi, thanks for sharing this

Aletski
Newly Registered

Post by Aletski » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:50 pm

sam74u wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you present personal and business bank statements for the year preceding your application or for the whole 5 years?
The bank statement for both personal and business was only for the 12 consecutive month period I was applying for.
Your accountant should know what to put in the letter. Mine contained a table with my gross and net salary and dividends. Also stating that I am director of my company and am of good character etc.
No, I don't think you can only present those 2 types of documents (personal bank statement and dividend vouchers). You need two documents to support each type of income. So if you're receiving salary and dividends, you need 2 types of documents to support your salary and another 2 documents for the dividend. I'm not sure if you can reuse a document for both source. The wording in directorate 6a was quite ambiguous. So I would suggest that you present 2 DIFFERENT types of document for each income type.
No I didn't prove my economic activity for the past 5 yrs. I don't think they will care. They only care about your activity within the 12 months you're specifying in your application.

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:24 am

Congrats Aletski.
Cheers,
OR

mkraja

Post by mkraja » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:34 pm

Aletski wrote:I didn't provide any evidence as none is necessary. The 205 days absence was within 5 years. The rule is you should not have more than 180 day absence within ANY 12 month period within the 5 years. So my 205 days absence was spread out within the 5 years so that I never exceeding 180 days within a year.
mkraja wrote:hi, thanks for sharing this

Hi Aletski, thank you very much for your response. Really appreciated. Could you please advise further on section 6 and question 11L of form SET O

Section 6 asks for details of all absences and then underneath it requires evidence of all work related absences. As a director of your own company, what evidence can you possibly provide. How did you answer question 6.3 in this respect?

Also please advise what is means and how did you handle second part of question 11L which asks

"For the period before you were granted leave as a Tier 1 (General) migrant, documents
showing that you met the relevant requirements of the immigration rules."

Thanks again for your support.

sam74u
Newly Registered

Post by sam74u » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:58 pm

Thanks mate for the valuable info. Did you apply as self employed or a salaried employee?
I'm a director of a limited company but I'm thinking to apply as a salaried employee because the required documents are much easier, personal bank statements and salary slips or a letter from the company.
Please advise

Thakur123
Newly Registered

Post by Thakur123 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:39 am

Hello Friends - I have just joined the forum. I have passed my life in uk test recently and found that Place of Birth is incorrectly mentioned in the pass certificate. Is there anyway I can get this corrected? PLEASE ADVISE.