ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply from inside the UK? Please help....

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Can I apply from inside the UK? Please help....

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:22 pm

You started your foundation degree in Jan 2012. Your foundation degree is at NQF5 or above. Therefore your 5 year cap ends in Jan 2017.

For a CAS to be issued the course end date can not extend beyond five years. Therefore you have all of 7 months of your cap left.... Not enough time to undertake a Masters. Ergo your cap for all practical purposes has expired.

darkcloud20

Post by darkcloud20 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:46 am

Sorry for the long post :|
Frontier Mole wrote:You started your foundation degree in Jan 2012. Your foundation degree is at NQF5 or above. Therefore your 5 year cap ends in Jan 2017.

For a CAS to be issued the course end date can not extend beyond five years. Therefore you have all of 7 months of your cap left.... Not enough time to undertake a Masters. Ergo your cap for all practical purposes has expired.
I SAID "foundation course" in my first post, NOT foundation degree. To be exact, I did a "International Foundation Programme" . International Foundation Programme is at NQF/QCF level 3, whereas Foundation degree covers NQF/QCF level 4 AND 5 (foundation degree needs 2 YEARS to complete, where Foundation programme needs around 8 months to complete). Please see the link below:
Regarding Foundation Degree: https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/un ... on-degrees

The below link is an example of what type of course I did in Jan 2012:
http://www.intostudy.com/en-gb/universi ... his-course

I believe. any course where the EXIT qualification is BELOW NQF/QCF level 6, is considered as Below-degree level.
Bradford Uni gives a clear presentation of Below-degree level CAP (2 yr) and Degree-level CAP (5 yr):
http://www.bradford.ac.uk/international ... me-limits/

Bradford Uni link says --
........This two year limit applies to studying both a single course and several courses as a Tier 4 (General) student. This includes any course (i.e. Foundation year, pre- sessional English Language or Access courses) where the exit qualification is below NQF level 6.
Also in the Tier 4 policy guidance (page 35) in Section "Students studying below degree level":---
Students studying below degree level
125. If you are studying at QCF or NQF level 3, 4 or 5 (SCQF level 6, 7 or 8 in Scotland)........
In the certificate of my Foundation programme, it is written that NQF Level is 3. So I believe it's a Below-degree level course, because the EXIT qualification is at Below NQF level 6.

According to the policy guidance, Below-degree level has 2 year cap, Degree level has 5 year cap. I believe my foundation course (NQF level 3) falls within the 2 year cap. So my foundation programme does NOT seem to affect my 5 year cap.

From the policy guidance (pg 28) :--
99. You are allowed to spend no more than 2 years in the UK studying below UK bachelor’s degree level since the age of 18. We cannot approve new leave for you to study below UK bachelor’s degree level, if you have already been studying below UK bachelor’s degree level for 2 years.
Please correct me if anything is wrong. Thanks a lot.

darkcloud20

Post by darkcloud20 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:30 am

an update to the previous post:--

(foundation degree needs 2 YEARS to complete, BUT Foundation programme needs around 8 months to complete. A student can start Undergraduate Programme AFTER finishing foundation programme.
Foundation DEGREE is different. After finishing foundation degree, a student can progress to Year 3 of the undergraduate degree. So Foundation Degree = Year 1 + Year 2)

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:06 am

A couple of questions...

Did you have a separate visa for your foundation course?
Then a new visa for your degree course.

If it was one visa then all the time counts towards the 5 year cap.

If it was two separate visas then exactly when did you get the second visa as that date starts the 5 year clock.

And no matter what advice good or bad on this forum the main hurdle will be getting a CAS from a Uni.

darkcloud20

Post by darkcloud20 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:05 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:A couple of questions...

Did you have a separate visa for your foundation course?
Then a new visa for your degree course.

If it was one visa then all the time counts towards the 5 year cap.

If it was two separate visas then exactly when did you get the second visa as that date starts the 5 year clock.

And no matter what advice good or bad on this forum the main hurdle will be getting a CAS from a Uni.
I had a Separate visa for my foundation course.

Then I applied for a New visa for my degree course from within the UK.

My visa for foundation course finished in Oct 2012. (seeing the visa expiry date in my passport)

My visa for degree course started Jan 2013. (seeing "Place and Date of Issue" in my Biometric Residence Permit)

(Note: Since I came in the UK, I have NOT been outside the UK)

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:56 pm

So your clock started in Jan 2013 so you have used 3.5 years.... Simples

Next point how do you propose to get a CAS? Has you applied to retake your Masters with any other uni?

This is your next hurdle. You will find there is great reluctance to offer a CAS to students with a fail under their belt. You have not completed your last course, regardless of the circumstances.

So try to get a Sponsor.... Once you have a CAS then worry about the next steps.

darkcloud20

Post by darkcloud20 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:48 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:So your clock started in Jan 2013 so you have used 3.5 years....
I started my undergraduate in Sep 2012. For my undergraduate course (degree course), I applied from within the UK by post, and the "Biometric Residence Permit" came in Jan 2013 which says "date of issue" is Jan 2013 and "Valid until" is Oct 2015.
Has the 5 year clock started in Jan 2013 or, Sep 2012 ? confused :? :? please explain...
Thanks.

keysersoze22

Post by keysersoze22 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:18 pm

ext point how do you propose to get a CAS? Has you applied to retake your Masters with any other uni?

This is your next hurdle. You will find there is great reluctance to offer a CAS to students with a fail under their belt. You have not completed your last course, regardless of the circumstances.

So try to get a Sponsor.... Once you have a CAS then worry about the next steps.
I'd probably focus more on these points. You are debating semantics when the much bigger issue is what Frontier Mole has stated. I don't think there is anything more that can be contributed in this thread - you'd be better off at this point speaking to Universities or a qualified immigration advisor.

darkcloud20

Post by darkcloud20 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:47 pm

@keysersoze22. Actually the cap is Not something which can be ignored totally, i think. Obviously getting a CAS letter is the first step. Thank you very veryy much for your replies.

Is there anyone who can address my previous post please? ----
I started my undergraduate in Sep 2012. For my undergraduate course (degree course), I applied from within the UK by post, and the "Biometric Residence Permit" came in Jan 2013 which says "date of issue" is Jan 2013 and "Valid until" is Oct 2015.
Has the 5 year clock started in Jan 2013 or, Sep 2012 ? confused :? :? please explain...
Thanks a lot to everyone.

darkcloud20

Post by darkcloud20 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:26 pm

anyone please? :( :(

darkcloud20

Post by darkcloud20 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:31 pm

:( can anyone help me?
actually i do not have money to pay for solicitor/immi adviser :( please help me guys..sorry :(

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:41 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:So your clock started in Jan 2013 so you have used 3.5 years.... Simples
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

darkcloud20

Post by darkcloud20 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:55 pm

vinny wrote:
Frontier Mole wrote:So your clock started in Jan 2013 so you have used 3.5 years.... Simples
thanks Vinny, i started the BSc course in Sept 2012 and got the visa for this course in Jan 2013. That means I started my degree course 4 months BEFORE my visa came. You mean - these 4 months will NOT count in the cap? sorry just making sure...

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:18 am

Wait for Frontier Mole to comment, if there is any change to his answer.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:11 am

The guidance states that it is time under Tier 4 undertaking a degree course(s) is measured against the 5 year cap.
You applied in time and the HO took however long to grant. Your previous tier 4 visa conditions carried on until your new tier 4 was granted. There is a concession for HEI establishments to continue teach or accept students pending visa extension approval.

So you first tier 4 visa belongs to sub degree cap and the date of grant of the second starts the degree clock.

So on the bright side your Tier 4 degree clock only started when the visa was granted, thus you have used 3.5 years of the 5.

darkcloud20

Post by darkcloud20 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:58 am

Frontier Mole wrote:The guidance states that it is time under Tier 4 undertaking a degree course(s) is measured against the 5 year cap.
You applied in time and the HO took however long to grant. Your previous tier 4 visa conditions carried on until your new tier 4 was granted. There is a concession for HEI establishments to continue teach or accept students pending visa extension approval.

So you first tier 4 visa belongs to sub degree cap and the date of grant of the second starts the degree clock.

So on the bright side your Tier 4 degree clock only started when the visa was granted, thus you have used 3.5 years of the 5.
Hi Frontier Mole, thanks for your reply. What did you mean by "sub-degree cap" ?
And you said "on the bright side...." . Sorry english is NOT my first language and I have many weaknesses in english. As I googled, i found "on the bright side" means considering the positive aspects of a situation. So you meant- in case of negative aspect, the HO will count the cap from when I started to study my degree (from Sep 2012)?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:25 am

Frontier Mole wrote: the date of grant of the second starts the degree clock.
Frontier Mole's bright side was that your five year cap commenced when you were granted leave to remain in Jan 2013.
Frontier Mole wrote:thus you have used 3.5 years of the 5.

darkcloud20

Post by darkcloud20 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:19 pm

vinny wrote:
Frontier Mole wrote: the date of grant of the second starts the degree clock.
Frontier Mole's bright side was that your five year cap commenced when you were granted leave to remain in Jan 2013.
Frontier Mole wrote:thus you have used 3.5 years of the 5.
I know he meant "the counting will start from Jan 2013" by bright side.

Is there any chance that the counting will start from Sep 2012 ?

I somehow managed to talk to a barrister and he said HO will start the counting from Sep 2012.

Confused :? Could you please clarify ? thanks a lot...

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:23 am

The guidance is very clear. Tier 4 grant date is how the clock is set.
Your "degree" clock started at the date of issue of the Tier 4 visa that allowed you formally to undertake degree study.

The HEI is allowed to enrol and teach tier 4 extension applicants pending the outcome of the visa decision.

As for barristers, in the immigration world they are ten a penny and most are not worth more than a penny.... If your barrister is from a highly reputable firm and cost you £500 just to give an opinion then I would be inclined even then to ask what part of the guidance they relied on.

darkcloud20

Post by darkcloud20 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:43 pm

Hi, thank you very much for the reply. Only 13 days remaining to complete 60 days (counting from the date I withdrew) :(. But the 60 days counting will start from the date of the Curtailment Letter by HO, right ?
I have Not got any curtailment letter from HO yet. I even do Not when the uni informed the HO or whether they informed. After withdrawing from the course, I stayed in the same address (where I stayed during the MSc. This address is in the university system. Even the previous UK address is also in the uni system ) for 13 days, then I moved to a different city in the UK. I did Not inform HO about my new address.
A NOTE:- When I applied for tier 4 visa for my MSc from within the UK, I used the International Office address of my new university as the corresponding address in the Tier 4 application form. The BRP (visa) for MSc came in the International Office address, and I collected from them. Can you please tell me which address do the HO have as my address? Is it the International Office address OR, the addresses which ARE in the university system ?
(10 days AFTER I submitted the Tier 4 application, I moved to the address WHICH the university has in their system. I gave my previous UK address to the Uni as well)
As I have Not got my Curtailment Letter, I do NOT know when my 60 days will be finished, and whether my visa is curtailed yet.
Please help... :(:(

(note: Uni staff told me via email that my 60 days started from the day I withdrew from the course. But curtailment does NOT start until the HO issues a Curtailment letter. So the uni gave me wrong info, right? )

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:54 pm

darkcloud20 wrote:Hi, thank you very much for the reply. Only 13 days remaining to complete 60 days (counting from the date I withdrew) :(. But the 60 days counting will start from the date of the Curtailment Letter by HO, right ?
I have Not got any curtailment letter from HO yet. I even do Not when the uni informed the HO or whether they informed. After withdrawing from the course, I stayed in the same address (where I stayed during the MSc. This address is in the university system. Even the previous UK address is also in the uni system ) for 13 days, then I moved to a different city in the UK. I did Not inform HO about my new address.
A NOTE:- When I applied for tier 4 visa for my MSc from within the UK, I used the International Office address of my new university as the corresponding address in the Tier 4 application form. The BRP (visa) for MSc came in the International Office address, and I collected from them. Can you please tell me which address do the HO have as my address? Is it the International Office address OR, the addresses which ARE in the university system ?
(10 days AFTER I submitted the Tier 4 application, I moved to the address WHICH the university has in their system. I gave my previous UK address to the Uni as well)
As I have Not got my Curtailment Letter, I do NOT know when my 60 days will be finished, and whether my visa is curtailed yet.

(note: Uni staff told me via email that my 60 days started from the day I withdrew from the course. But curtailment does NOT start until the HO issues a Curtailment letter. So the uni gave me wrong info, right? )
Noone here knows the intricate details of your case. Noone can guess or deduce what's on your record.

Ask the university what they have or have not done.

Take some responsibility and ensure that any official body that you have dealings with knows where you are and how to contact you.
Its not surprising you know nothing and feel helpless if noone can contact you.

In this country people speak British English not American 'English'; it is not usual to append every statement with a suffix in order to turn it into a question, Right?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

darkcloud20

Post by darkcloud20 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:22 am

noajthan wrote:
darkcloud20 wrote:Hi, thank you very much for the reply. Only 13 days remaining to complete 60 days (counting from the date I withdrew) :(. But the 60 days counting will start from the date of the Curtailment Letter by HO, right ?

Noone here knows the intricate details of your case. Noone can guess or deduce what's on your record.

Ask the university what they have or have not done.

Take some responsibility and ensure that any official body that you have dealings with knows where you are and how to contact you.
Its not surprising you know nothing and feel helpless if noone can contact you.

In this country people speak British English not American 'English'; it is not usual to append every statement with a suffix in order to turn it into a question, Right?
Sorry for the English thing. I still do many mistakes in english.

Please help me with the following ques:-
1) Will the 60 days counting start from the date I withdrew OR, the date of curtailment letter from HO?

2) Does the university inform the HO regarding my corresponding address (the addresses I gave to the uni)? Or, Is it my duty to inform the HO about my address? (I am asking this question to know which address the HO is considering as my corresponding address - the Uni International Office address Or, the addresses kept in the Uni student record. I mean what does generally happen?

3) In my situation, can I stay in the UK (without being Overstayer) until I get the Curtailment letter ?

4)I already asked my housemates from both of the addresses (which are in the Uni system) and they said they did NOT received any letter from the HO. Is the curtailment letter from HO delivered just like any other normal letter OR, is it a recorded delivery?

keysersoze22

Post by keysersoze22 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:19 am

keysersoze22 wrote:Contact your old Universities Tier 4 Compliance Team , and if you don't have one, the International Student Advice Service granting them permission to discuss your case with UKVI and to enquire about your curtailment. They should have their own license account manager who these queries can be raised to.
I said this on page 3.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:50 am

60 days starts from curtailment letter date from UKVI

Uni does not inform UKVI of change of address

Until you are curtailed you still have valid leave but you are running down your 5 year cap at the same time.

Curtailment letter is sent special delivery.

I am sensing you are going to return home rather than continue with your education in the UK?

darkcloud20

Post by darkcloud20 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:58 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:60 days starts from curtailment letter date from UKVI

Uni does not inform UKVI of change of address

Until you are curtailed you still have valid leave but you are running down your 5 year cap at the same time.

Curtailment letter is sent special delivery.

I am sensing you are going to return home rather than continue with your education in the UK?
Thanks a lot for your reply. I am quoting a previous post (in page 5) of Vinny :-
vinny wrote:I believe that the total periods of leave granted, since the age of 18, under Tier 4 (General) or student, may be considered. A period of leave may be increased via Section 3C or decreased via curtailment. In the latter case, I don't see that your departure date would have an affect.
As I understood the above, Vinny is saying it does NOT matter what date I will leave the UK. For example: HO will take the curtailment action on 2 July and will give a notice of 60 days (from 2 july to 30 Aug). But I will leave the UK on 20 June. The 5 year clock will NOT stop even after I left the UK. The clock will continue till 30 Aug. Is my understanding correct? Could you please double check?

As I said in a earlier post, I called the HO several times and talked with some staffs (immigration advisers in HO). I described my situation to them. 3 staffs said I CAN apply from inside the UK. 2 staffs said I CANNOT.
If I somehow can manage a CAS from a university (and the uni is NOT aware of the new rules yet), can I apply from INSIDE the UK?
And if I can apply from inside the UK, is it possible (or any chance) that the HO caseworker (who will deal with my tier 4 application) somehow is NOT aware of the new rules and will give me the visa? (I am assuming that some caseworkers may NOT know the new rules. Please correct me if I am wrong)

By "New rules", I am meaning the following:--

(Please see the posts in page 1)

keysersoze22 said in his first post that (as I understood) I cannot extend my Tier 4 visa from INSIDE the UK because I did NOT complete the last course (MSc) which I had been granted a visa for. This new rule has started to be effective recently.
keysersoze22 's first post:--
keysersoze22 wrote:You won't be having any course I am afraid.

New update https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 016-04.pdf - page 34, 5.25 regarding Academic Progression. You have to demonstrate that you have successfully completed the last course you obtained tier 4 leave from.

Note that academic progression does not apply to out of UK applications.