ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I stay in England?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

NikcMac
Newly Registered

Can I stay in England?

Post by NikcMac » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Hello,

I am a South African citizen, but I haven't lived there since a few years after I was born. I lived in England when I was in primary school and many of my fondest memories are from when I lived here as a child. When I was 14, my dad's company transferred him to Singapore and we left England. I hated leaving my friends and have wanted to go back ever since. I am fully British by ancestry, but none of my grandparents were born in the UK so I didn't qualify for the UK ancestry visa.

I eventually went to University in the US, but I finally managed to return to England and am currently doing post-graduate work here. I really want to stay in England when I finish my studies (because I consider it my home and feel most comfortable here), but I am worried that I will not be able to.

Can anyone give me more information about staying in England after I finish my studies and, more specifically, the process of switching to a tier 2 visa from my current tier 4? What are the requirements for making this switch?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can I stay in England?

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:56 pm

What is your current visa status and the start and end dates of the visa?
How long have you been in the UK?
Do you have a British partner?

The list of approved Tier 2 sponsor is below :

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _04-15.pdf

Do not be tempted to go with an umbrella company, it is not legal in terms of tier 2. You should approached the companies on the list in the link to get sponsorship. Can you current employer not sponsor you if they are a tier 2 sponsor?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

NikcMac
Newly Registered

Post by NikcMac » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:34 pm

CR001 wrote:What is your current visa status and the start and end dates of the visa?
How long have you been in the UK?
Do you have a British partner?

The list of approved Tier 2 sponsor is below :

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _04-15.pdf

Do not be tempted to go with an umbrella company, it is not legal in terms of tier 2. You should approached the companies on the list in the link to get sponsorship. Can you current employer not sponsor you if they are a tier 2 sponsor?
Thank you! I am currently on a tier four visa, it started shortly before I began my masters course (Oct 2014) and will end once I complete my degree (June 2016). My girlfriend is British, but we do not live together and have not been dating for two years. I want to stay in England once I complete my masters because I feel it is my home. I just don't know exactly how to go about this. How much time, if any, do I have to find employment after finishing my course? Can I do an unpaid internship? Are there any other requirements I should be aware of.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:43 pm

Near the end of your course would be the most suitable time to find a sponsor, unless you have lived with your girlfriend for 2 years as that is another option for a visa if your relationship is serious.

You still need the correct visa to be able to do an unpaid internship. If you search on the internet for the Tier 2 guidance and form, you should be able to get an idea of what you need to work towards.

If you marry or have a serious (live with) relationship with a girlfriend, you could switch to an unmarried partner visa or spouse visa (FLR(M))
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.