ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Master's Student (Tier 4 General) to Tier 2 (General)

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

pspe31
Newly Registered

Master's Student (Tier 4 General) to Tier 2 (General)

Post by pspe31 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:41 am

Hi Everyone,
This is the situation I am in:
Tier 4 General Student Visa expires on - 30th January 2013
Applying for: Tier 2 General

One of the documents required for Tier 2 General is original degree certificate, academic transcript or an academic reference on official headed paper of the institution. I have submitted my Dissertation to the University. However, the results are expected only by the last week of January.

My question:
1. Is there any other document that can be produced in lieu of the final results to satisfy this requirement? (Interim transcript/letter from the University?)

2. As a student (Tier 4 general) switching to Tier 2, am I exempt from the RLMT?

Thank you for your time.

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Master's Student (Tier 4 General) to Tier 2 (General)

Post by manci » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:58 am

pspe31 wrote:Hi Everyone,
This is the situation I am in:
Tier 4 General Student Visa expires on - 30th January 2013
Applying for: Tier 2 General

One of the documents required for Tier 2 General is original degree certificate, academic transcript or an academic reference on official headed paper of the institution. I have submitted my Dissertation to the University. However, the results are expected only by the last week of January.

My question:
1. Is there any other document that can be produced in lieu of the final results to satisfy this requirement? (Interim transcript/letter from the University?) no, unless you are a PhD student

2. As a student (Tier 4 general) switching to Tier 2, am I exempt from the RLMT? yes, once eligibility to switch has been established. See::
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/busin ... arkettest/

Thank you for your time.

pspe31
Newly Registered

Post by pspe31 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:17 pm

Thank you for your quick reply Manci!
Just a quick follow-up question to that:

In case I do not receive my Final Degree Certificate before 30th January, can I stay longer than that (but less than 28 days) and then apply for the Tier 2 Visa once I receive the Degree Certificate?

In short: How long can I over stay 'legally' after the expiry of my current visa?

Thank you once again!

Ann22

Post by Ann22 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:41 pm

I'm in EXACTLY the same situation!!
Uni should be able to give you all required paperwork. Wouldn't be a problem..
good luck!

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:36 am

pspe31 wrote:In case I do not receive my Final Degree Certificate before 30th January, can I stay longer than that (but less than 28 days) and then apply for the Tier 2 Visa once I receive the Degree Certificate?

In short: How long can I over stay 'legally' after the expiry of my current visa?!
Quote from the Addendum to the T2 policy guidance:

From 1 October 2012, applications for further leave to remain under the Points Based System will fall for refusal if you have overstayed for more than 28 days on the date of application, unless there were exceptional circumstances which prevented you from applying within the 28 day period. The 28 day period of overstaying is calculated from the latest of:
• the end of the last period of leave to enter or remain granted