ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Academic progression - Query

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

carolinatri
Newly Registered

Academic progression - Query

Post by carolinatri » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi,

In 2009-2010 I completed a Master in International Development, for which I had a Tier 4 Student visa.
Now I'm planning to do a Master in Art History (career change) starting September 2015, for which I will also need to apply for a Tier 4 visa.

Could you please advise on the academic progression requirement: Given that I already completed a Master in the UK will I not be granted a Tier 4 visa to do another Master (even though it's in a totally different subject)?

Many thanks for your help!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Academic progression - Query

Post by Frontier Mole » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:42 am

It is highly unlikely you will be granted a tier 4 visa to undertake another Masters. It is not an out and out refusal guarantee but the Uni would have to push very hard to make it stick. Currently the Uni's are very risk adverse and I believe you are not going to find it easy to get a CAS.
The other question will be the five year cap. How many years have you completed as a student to date?

carolinatri
Newly Registered

Post by carolinatri » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:46 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. It's not good news though :(

The 5-year cap is not a problem because I only had a student visa for 1 year. Currently I have a Tier 2 (until 31 December 2014).

Do you think it's worth trying? Anything I could do to improve my chances to get the Tier 4 for another Master in a different subject?

Thank you so much!

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Academic progression - QueryI

Post by Frontier Mole » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:39 pm

It costs nothing to try and get a CAS. Do I think you will suceed, to be honest - no.

Is there anything you can do to increase your chances of getting a CAS - trying to convince a Uni is all about presentation of your reasons to change career path etc. Even if they buy into it you still have to get a visa. UKVI are not readily going to buy into the idea.
It is not impossible but it is unlikely that you will get a tier 4 visa to do another master in the current climate of intense scrutiny of Tier 4 Sponsors

hassan5805
Member of Standing

Post by hassan5805 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:42 pm

Frontier Me any advice on that??
I am writing this post to get advice for my friend . I will appreciate if you can help on that because he will submit appeal himself and cannot afford solicitors.

He applied Student visa in first week of October.
Hes genuine student never done anything wrong. Hes not working and his attendance are up to date.
His Visa refuse due to maintenance.
He has establish presence and he had to show bank statement only 1680 outer london.
In his account total funds were kept over 2 k for at least 3 months. Total fees was 4000 and he paid 3000 to college and made instalment plan with college for remaining 1000 pound. Now he got refused his visa and refusal only on maintenance that you should have showed that 1000 pound in the account too.
Please advice what shall we do he got the appeal right.
I think caseworker not read the file properly we send prove of instalment plan and also write in covering letter.
I will appreciate your responses guys.
regards

shaq1

Post by shaq1 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:24 am

hassan5805 wrote:Frontier Me any advice on that??
I am writing this post to get advice for my friend . I will appreciate if you can help on that because he will submit appeal himself and cannot afford solicitors.

He applied Student visa in first week of October.
Hes genuine student never done anything wrong. Hes not working and his attendance are up to date.
His Visa refuse due to maintenance.
He has establish presence and he had to show bank statement only 1680 outer london.
In his account total funds were kept over 2 k for at least 3 months. Total fees was 4000 and he paid 3000 to college and made instalment plan with college for remaining 1000 pound. Now he got refused his visa and refusal only on maintenance that you should have showed that 1000 pound in the account too.
Please advice what shall we do he got the appeal right.
I think caseworker not read the file properly we send prove of instalment plan and also write in covering letter.
I will appreciate your responses guys.
regards
If you read the guidance carefully it clearly says that you have on the account student needs to keep the remaining tuition fees plus the maintenance funds for 28 days. No matter whether the student is paying the remaining tuition in installment. If he has the appeal right there's no point of going to appeal because he cant win the appeal. He can make a fresh application with a new CAS but as it is a fresh application he needs to show 9 months maintenance fund plus any remaining tuition fees