ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After Judicial Review in Upper Tribunal

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

olaf81
Newly Registered

After Judicial Review in Upper Tribunal

Post by olaf81 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:03 pm

Dear all,

recently, HO Treasury Solicitors have sent "Consent Order" in response to my JR,
stating my TIER4 application will be treated "in-time" if I resubmit in 28days.
After signing it and sending it back, I went to my sponsor college- "LSBF" in Holborn London,
but they refused to renew my CAS letter, saying I didn't attend the courses.
Although the college administration was fully aware that when I applied for my initial TIER4 visa application and due to the error of the UKBA officer my visa application was refused.
I tried different sponsor colleges and uni's, but until I received new CAS letter, the initial 28 days passed!

Now my solicitor says, I have lost my chance to extend my visa.
Please can anyone who has knowledge or similar experience advise?
Much appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: After Judicial Review in Upper Tribunal

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:06 pm

due to the error of the UKBA officer my visa application was refused.
What was the 'error' and can you provide the exact refusal wording (taking out any personal information)?

How long have you been in the UK and what is your full immigration history?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

olaf81
Newly Registered

Post by olaf81 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:08 pm

Thank you for reply!

1. The Claimant is a national of xxx
2. He first entered the UK on 27th October, 2007 on a Tier 4 Student Visa. This was successfully extended a number of times.
3. The Claimant last applied to extend his visa on 28th December, 2012. By a letter dated 21st January, 2013, the Defendant returned the application claiming that the Claimant had not paid the application fee and that he had not completed the payment page of the application form. The Claimant had in fact completed the payment page of the application form and the Defendant could, if she had correctly processed the form, collected payment for the application.
4. Following the incorrect return to the Claimant by the Defendant of the Claimant’s application, the claimant submitted a further application on 26th January, 2013. This was refused by the Defendant by letter dated 20th March, 2013. The Defendant claimed that the Claimant had failed to satisfy the maintenance requirements. The Claimant’s leave having expired as at the date of the 2nd application, the Claimant had no right of appeal in relation to this application. The Claimant’s original application for leave to remain was ripe for granting in that the Claimant satisfied the relevant criteria.
5. The Claimant, through counsel, made representations to the Defendant by letter of 19th September, 2013. By letter dated 17th December, 2013 the Defendant responded refusing to review her decision.
6. By a letter dated 3rd March, 2014 the Claimant again pointed out the Defendant’s mistake as to failing to note the payment details on the original application and advised the Defendant that he intended to bring the instant proceedings if the matter was not reconsidered. The Defendant failed to respond.
7. On 3rd June the Claimant wrote again to the Defendant reminding the Defendant of the previous letter and again advised of the instant proceedings in default of a satisfactory response. Again the Defendant failed to respond.

GROUNDS
8. The Defendant has made an obvious error in processing the Claimant’s application for further leave to remain in the UK dated 28th December, 2012. The Defendant is under a duty to correct any such error. The Defendant has failed to do so.
9. The Defendant’s error having been pointed out by the Claimant, the Defendant failed even to look at the matter.
10. The Defendant has failed to engage with the Claimant in the matter of pre-action correspondence to the prejudice of the Claimant in that the Claimant’s application for permission for judicial review is out of time.
11. The Defendant’s decision is in breach of Natural Justice.
12. The Defendant’s decision places the Defendant in breach of her obligations under the European Convention on Human Rights. The Claimant has a limited right to private life as a student in the UK – see CDS Brazil [2010] UKUT 305 (IAC)

AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS:
(i) A mandatory order in terms that the Defendant reconsider that Claimant’s application for further leave to remain dated 28th December, 2012.
(ii) A mandatory order that the Defendant grant to the Claimant further leave to remain in the UK.
(iii) An order that the Defendant pay the costs of this application.

As I stated on my post, Treasury Solicitors replied with Consent Order. I signed it unaware that the college will refuse the CAS renewal. By the time until I find another sponsor school the 28 days run out.
On top of that, even the new school agrees to issue the CAS, I don't have my passport or any ID with me, as UKBA is holding it.
LSBF is refusing to refund £5600 tuition fee.
Now this is getting ridiculously unfair.
Every month I have to report to Eaton House.
Please advise if you can.
I am happy to take professional service from experienced lawyers.

olaf81
Newly Registered

Post by olaf81 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:37 pm

CR001,
sorry for the lengthy details.
Please can you advise?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:32 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

olaf81
Newly Registered

Post by olaf81 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:22 pm

Thank you for the post, very informative!

My case was already acknowledged by UKBA that it was their error and they agreed to accept my new application as "in-time", but given 28 days to submit is expired due to the Sponsor school's refusal to renew my CAS letter.
I could find another sponsor college if I had valid ID or passport to register to the college, as UKBA is holding it.
I can't even receive money transfer to my name from my brother to pay the tuition fees, neither can take IELTS test.

olaf81
Newly Registered

Post by olaf81 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:02 pm

Can anyone suggest, is there any option I have?

drinver
Newly Registered
China

Post by drinver » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:50 am

LSBF don't appear on the current list of Tier 4 sponsors : https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... onsors.pdf

Which seems to indicate they have lost their licence and therefore could not assign a new CAS

olaf81
Newly Registered

Post by olaf81 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:38 am

Thank you Drinver,
Yes you are right.
Just called to LSBF, they confirmed they are not on the sponsoring international students anymore.

But my 28 days to submit my "in-time" application passed as LSBF took a month to reply with an excuse, such as why I didn't attend the courses, despite the fact that they knew my visa has been refused.

Can anyone suggest, what can be done at this point?

olaf81
Newly Registered

Post by olaf81 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:06 pm

Some lawyers say I shouldn't have signed the "consent order" without checking with the sponsor school.

They say it is the end of the road now.

What do you guys think, is this really fair?

olaf81
Newly Registered

Post by olaf81 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:10 pm

Sending this letter with advise of the barrister friend:
You will be aware that as matters stand the proceedings are withdrawn by consent. I attach a copy of the consent order dated 11 June, 2015. Your client kindly agreed to allow Mr XXX an opportunity to resubmit his application as a Tier 4 (General) Student within 28 days of the date of the order.

Mr XXX made his best efforts to avail himself of the opportunity afforded to him and approached The London School of Business and Finance. It was to this college that he had made his original application and had paid fees totalling £5000 had been unable to undertake the course previously because of your client’s failure to process his visa extension application (the application had been incorrectly returned on the basis of a failure to make payment whereas payment details had in fact been included with the application). Unhappily the college refused to issue a further CAS claiming that Mr XXX attendance on the course for which he had previously applied had been insufficient. He had of course not attended at all because of the visa problem referred to above. My client had been attempting to resolve matters with the London School of Business and Finance when, at the end of the 28 day period provided under the consent order, he discovered that in fact the college no longer had Home Office accreditation. The college had neglected to mention this to him.

The unhappy result of the above is that Mr XXX is in the same position in which he was immediately prior to the consent order being signed.

You will appreciate my client’s reluctance to pay a further substantial sum to another college when he had paid the sum of £5000 to the London School of Business and finance. Naturally he wished to make his application and undertake the course for which he had paid. This has been a very unfortunate chain of events! My client now accepts that he cannot now undertake the course for which he has paid. In the circumstances I would propose that, rather than resurrect the judicial review proceedings, Mr XXX be permitted to make an application to an accredited college. He will of course have to pay a further substantial sum to do this but he accepts he has no alternative in the circumstances. Your client is respectfully requested to allow Mr XXX a further 28 days in order that he may make his application and hopefully this will resolve the matter to everyone’s satisfaction. Mr XXX appreciates that your client is in no way to blame for his unfortunate experience with the London College of Business and Finance and is grateful for the position taken by your client in relation to the judicial review proceedings in terms of the previous 28 days. Hopefully, if your client agrees, my proposal will finalise this matter.

I am grateful to you and your client for consideration of the above and look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Yours faithfully,...

olaf81
Newly Registered

Post by olaf81 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qop0UtWkEq0

Watch this, about London School of Business and Finance

olaf81
Newly Registered

Post by olaf81 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:32 am

It seems like none knows the answer for my question.

Please anyone, share if you had similar issues.

olaf81
Newly Registered

Post by olaf81 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:33 am

olaf81 wrote:It seems like none knows the answer for my question.

Please anyone, share if you had similar issues.
An update:

I have received refusal letter to my "not submitted" VISA application from UKBA, stating they have considered my original application dated to 2012 December which has been refused with no appeal rights.
It was still refused stating the CAS letter is dated back to 2012 and I didn't submit the new one, although the UKBA was aware that the college's licence is revoked and the colleges administration is refusing to refund the money renewing the CAS was impossible.

But the good news is the refusal letter came with the appeal right. Now I am waiting for my appeal hearing...

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:21 am

And exactly what are you expecting to achieve from your appeal hearing?
It will be a short hearing... Why did you not apply for a visa in the time YOU agreed in the consent order.... And the court are not in the least bit interested in the excuse you keep repeating. That has died as a relevant point. The consent order said get a CAS, bet it did not say it had to be from LSBF...

YOU agreed the terms and failed to deliver on them. LSBF is no longer a Sponsor so even if you managed to join them you would have been curtailed in any event and be in the exact same position as you are now....

You need to get a CAS from a Sponsor and reapply. Appeal is a waste of time.