ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing university: Do I have to leave the UK?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MSKF

Changing university: Do I have to leave the UK?

Post by MSKF » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:15 pm

Hello people,

I can't thank everyone enough for all the suggestions. My Tier 4 application was successful and right now I'm working on my PhD. Unfortunately, my supervisor has moved to another university. He is now trying to transfer me over to his new university as my PhD work is based on his work. He is saying that I should be able to join his university from Feb 2017.

My questions:
1. Will I need to apply for another Tier 4 visa now? My course will be identical with no difference apart from doing the same thing under the same person at a different university.
2. Will I have to leave the UK and go back home and apply from there for this? Or can I stay here and apply for the new visa?

P.S. My current visa ends in 2020

vinny

Re: Changing university: Do I have to leave the UK?

Post by vinny » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:13 pm

I believe that you may change your Tier 4 sponsor in the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:17 pm

vinny wrote:I believe that you may change your Tier 4 sponsor in the UK.
Yes, although that Page on the UKCISA website needs updating re the 6 April 2016 study condition. Only those who do not need to show Academic Progression (including OP, because he is completing a PhD) can now apply in the UK.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

MSKF

Post by MSKF » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:30 pm

sah10406 wrote:
vinny wrote:I believe that you may change your Tier 4 sponsor in the UK.
Yes, although that Page on the UKCISA website needs updating re the 6 April 2016 study condition. Only those who do not need to show Academic Progression (including OP, because he is completing a PhD) can now apply in the UK.

Say I'll join the new sponsor from 01 Feb 2017. When is the earliest I get to apply? 90 days before the course start date?

It'd be really great if I can indeed apply from the UK. It's a lot of hassle to leave and come back.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:51 pm

MSKF wrote:When is the earliest I get to apply?
When the new sponsor issues the CAS, which will be a maximum 3 months before the start of the course.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

y-axisoverseas
Newly Registered

Post by y-axisoverseas » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:42 am

In your case you are continuing the same course with the same professor and only need a change of University. So you can request for CAS from the New University which is generally issued 90 days before the course. You need to submit that CAS and can get the Tier 4 visa changed.

MSKF

Post by MSKF » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:31 pm

y-axisoverseas wrote:In your case you are continuing the same course with the same professor and only need a change of University. So you can request for CAS from the New University which is generally issued 90 days before the course. You need to submit that CAS and can get the Tier 4 visa changed.

Where did you get that rule from? Can you please link me to some place where I can get more details on that issue? That sounds a lot simpler than having to make a fresh application.